Hitch Questions

Spannerhead

'94 MX-6 LS 5-speed
:
Chattanooga, TN
Hi all. Need to get a trailer hitch and a bike carrier for the back of the 5. Read some of the threads and drilling holes out to install seems to be a fairly common activity. I'm concerned about rust development. Two questions:

1. Are there any hitches that don't require drilling? Looks like both the HH and Draw-Tite do.
  2. Does anyone have any recommendations for hitch-mount bike carriers? This is all new to us.

Thanks!

Hi all. Need to get a trailer hitch and a bike carrier for the back of the 5. Read some of the threads and drilling holes out to install seems to be a fairly common activity. I'm concerned about rust development. Two questions:

1. Are there any hitches that don't require drilling? Looks like both the HH and Draw-Tite do.
  2. Does anyone have any recommendations for hitch-mount bike carriers? This is all new to us.

Thanks!

Here is the best site I know of for this equipment... http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_Mazda_5.htm

and here is link to show the carriers on the actual mazda5 car in action...
http://www.etrailer.com/Best/Mazda/5/Bike_Rack

Last edited:
^Thanks. Very helpful. Looks like drilling out access holes is a pretty typical installation activity... :( Guess I'll have to break out the POR-15......

^That's what I was hoping to avoid---the need to expose and then treat bare metal because of drilling. I'd like to keep the factory finish totally intact, but it doesn't look like that's an option. Will have to deal.

^That's what I was hoping to avoid---the need to expose and then treat bare metal because of drilling. I'd like to keep the factory finish totally intact, but it doesn't look like that's an option. Will have to deal.

Must be nice to live in a state where keeping factory finish is even an option. So much salt on the roads here it doesn't matter if you drill through anything or not....the rust is inevitable.

Move south! The weather's fine. 65 and sunny today. :D

No rust concerns about the car whatsoever. It was a Florida car originally, not driven that much and now it's here where we get one, maybe two snows a year if we're unlucky (or lucky, if you're my kids).

I'm a month late with this and I'm sure there are other threads but here's some info while it's fresh in my head

1. The receiver for the 5 is a Class I with a 1 1/4" opening. Max tongue weight is 200 lbs. Note that if you connect a hitch adapter (make sure it is a Class I adapter, not just a 1 1/4" to 2" adapter) the max tongue weight drops to 100 lbs.
2. Don't forget to include the weight of the rack
3. If you go this route, you will want to find a class 1 rack with a 1 1/4" shank

I installed ours last July and we like to use it with our Kuat Sherpa. I got a killer deal off Amazon Warehouse Deals for $50 - it was labeled as used one, but I think the only thing wrong with it was that the box was damaged, because the hitch was never installed or used. They knocked off $20 because it didn't come with a drawbar (which we didn't need anyways).

Install was very straightforward; the enlarging of the holes took a few minutes with a proper drill bit and DeWalt corded drill; and with another set of hands it took about 20 mins. I sprayed the enlarged holes with some black spray paint I had in the garage.

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

cache.php

Thanks for the input! I like the Mazda-themed hitch plug too.^

I ended up going with that exact 1.25" Draw-Tite unit. Installation was very straightforward except for the fact that I really should have used a 9/16" drill bit rather than the 1/2" drill bit specified to enlarge the holes. 1/2" was just too tight.

My plan was to prepare the holes the day before the hitch arrived, so I drilled them out and hit them with some POR-15 as a rust preventative. When the hitch finally came and I was installing it, I had to ream out the holes and ruin any of the POR-15's benefit. :(

Oh well. It's on and it works great.

One question: If I want to get a ball adapter, should I get one with any sort of drop or just straight out?

One question: If I want to get a ball adapter, should I get one with any sort of drop or just straight out?

It depends on what you are using it for. Bike carrier obviously does not need one but a trailer you want to be level after it is loaded.
Do you will need either one with a drop or rise or level as no trailer is identical.
Your main concern should be that it is more or less level at load so when you brake it does not try lift the rear tires up or push hard down.

In case anyone is interested, here's a chat I had with Allen Sports about why they don't recommend trunk mount racks for the 5

I own a 2009 Mazda 5 Sport. I know you don\'t recommend your trunk mount products on my vehicle, but I\'m curious if it is because the Touring and Grand Touring models come with a spoiler that doesn\'t allow you to attach it properly? Or if there is another reason I would like to know this as well Thanks!

Thank you for your email. The reason is that the top of the rear door on the Mazda5 is not strong enough to support the weight of a rack and bicycles.

Thanks. I’m actually kinda surprised by this. Is this the case with a lot of other SUVs also?

No, most SUV’s do not have this issue, but the top of the rear door on the Mazda5 is not made of metal. Your best option is to install a receiver hitch and use a hitch mounted carrier

Say what now? Come again?

So I went out to the garage and checked it out. Well doesn't that suck

^The Mazda5 hatch is made of either aluminum or composite---either way some non-ferrous metal (try sticking a magnet to it) that's probably not strong enough to support a trunk-mount bike rack.

On the plus side it makes it very easy to open and close, and lowers the overall weight of the car, improving gas mileage...

It depends on what you are using it for. Bike carrier obviously does not need one but a trailer you want to be level after it is loaded.
Do you will need either one with a drop or rise or level as no trailer is identical.
Your main concern should be that it is more or less level at load so when you brake it does not try lift the rear tires up or push hard down.

Thanks! Appreciate the input. Looks like I'll be buying the trailer first and then sizing the ball adapter accordingly.

Last edited:
Not strong enough? <sigh> Learn something new every day... Guess my next car will have to have a roof rack.

Glad that I never read this thread........ I've had a hatch mounted bike rack on my 5 on and off for the past two years. Did a 8 hour drive with one full size, one large kids bike and one itty bitty one. A couple of local trips with 2-3 adults bikes mounted. Never had any issue with the top of the hatch not supporting the weight. Previously used it on my '05 Mz3 which I assume now is the same. Again, no issues. Now I have had issues with the contact points on the rack scratching the paint..... I previously had it mounted on the glass only, but moved the lower one down so the rear wiper could still swing. So now I'm looking at mounting a hitch and getting a rack.

Question. I'm looking between 2 and 4 bike carriers. I know every manufacturer says to limit a Class I hitch to 2 bikes. I've read lots of articles all over the place by users saying they've loaded up Class I's with four bikes with no issues. I only rarely carry more than one, possibly two bikes on my car, but having the ability to throw an extra on in an emergency seems attractive. Anyone have any input on that?

I assume the 2-bike limit is after a safety factor is calculated in. I'm sure you could drive around with 4 with no problem for years, but an extreme situation (unavoidable large bump at speed) could cause it eventually to break which would be a huge danger to traffic behind you.

^The Mazda5 hatch is made of either aluminum or composite---either way some non-ferrous metal (try sticking a magnet to it)...

Its actually Plastic with some metal reinforcements inside. Weighs ~40lbs IIRC from mounting one.
I sawzalled my old one into pieces to fit the trashcan, cut through it like butter.

Back