2017 Mazda CX-9

wow...i guess i was living under a rock, i did not realize Mazda already had put out new 2017 CX-9s in the US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2TJOBiyi7E

although i don't really see much difference from the 2016.

Don't see anything on the Mazda site. Some people call the US 2016, 2017, so this might be that case. It is silly that they're still selling the 2016 model in 2017, but if I have to guess, that is a 2016 model in the video. We would've heard something by now.

Mazda.ca have 2017 listed on their website for a month now.

Yup here in Cda the '17s have already arrived in December '16...I picked up my '17 Sig trim model at beginning of January! Like I said in my other posts that not much diff on features for 2017 vs 2016 and I expect same even for US market although a lot of people in the forums have doubted me...I guess we'll see

I received the GT 2017 last month, but only ever test drove the 2016.
A couple non advertised changes I noticed and was confirmed by the dealership.
1. More sound insulation- especially in the rear. To my ear the 2017 is noticeably quieter.
2. Center console slightly adjusted to be more comfortable when resting your knee against it, more padding, contour adjusted. This one was big for me- I'm a larger guy 6'2 250, and this was nearly a deal breaker in the 2016. Now it is very comfortable.
3. The dealer said apple CarPlay, android auto is coming later this year via firmware update- I'll believe this one when I see it.

I received the GT 2017 last month, but only ever test drove the 2016.
A couple non advertised changes I noticed and was confirmed by the dealership.
1. More sound insulation- especially in the rear. To my ear the 2017 is noticeably quieter.
2. Center console slightly adjusted to be more comfortable when resting your knee against it, more padding, contour adjusted. This one was big for me- I'm a larger guy 6'2 250, and this was nearly a deal breaker in the 2016. Now it is very comfortable.
3. The dealer said apple CarPlay, android auto is coming later this year via firmware update- I'll believe this one when I see it.

Damn - If I weren't in so much need to buy the car, I would've waited. I never buy first gen anything for these reasons.

The padding on the doors on the 2016 is weak. Where my elbow rests is always a hole. I hear wind noise when driving, I don't think it's as quiet as they claim. At best, it's average. Apple CarPlay Android Auto? LMAO. Right.

Here is the official press release: http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2017-mazda-cx-9-goes-on-sale/

I was really hoping for a better break down of the actual changes made.

Pretty sure that a lot of people are hoping that the 2017 addresses some of the concerns the 2016 model has.

Does the 2017 gain more front seat adjustment? (does the driver seat bottom get separate height/tilt control?).

Goldbug - How was the padding for the knee on the center console adjusted? Is there actually more space for your knee? (narrower console/knee room carved out of console and a new pad to fit the new shape?) The lack of knee room is not a deal killer for me, but more space would definitely be appreciated.

The change to the center console is subtle/ not very obvious. I think the padding is thicker, the plastic may be slightly less convex/ pointy. Hard to say without them side by side. I just know I was slightly uncomfortable at times in the 2016, but am very comfortable in the 2017.
Summary- my knee feels more padding and less hard plastic.

One thing I thought they would add is G-Vectoring, but I guess it's coming on the 2018.

At some point in the future I'm really hoping they add front parking sensors

The change to the center console is subtle/ not very obvious. I think the padding is thicker, the plastic may be slightly less convex/ pointy. Hard to say without them side by side. I just know I was slightly uncomfortable at times in the 2016, but am very comfortable in the 2017.
Summary- my knee feels more padding and less hard plastic.

Thanks for the update!

I know different 2016 trims get different knee pads for US models. Some had a hard plastic knee pad and the signature had a padded version. I'm not sure what the Touring or Grand touring has.

My guess is usa have a lot more 2016 inventory they need to clear out first to make room for 2017.

My guess is usa have a lot more 2016 inventory they need to clear out first to make room for 2017.

My nearest Mazda dealer has 8 '16's in stock. They're going to have to give them away. Bad move Mazda! Apparently they didn't learn as they are doing the same thing over again with the new CX-5. Releasing as a new 2017 half way through 2017. It should be a 2018 just as the CX-9 should've been a new for 2017 model and all those CX-9's sitting on lots would still be worth a new car price. Now Mazda is stuck selling them as "last year's model". Nobody is paying any where near a typical new car deal on last year's model. Someone at the top at Mazda needs to be fired for these types of decisions.

My nearest Mazda dealer has 8 '16's in stock. They're going to have to give them away. Bad move Mazda! Apparently they didn't learn as they are doing the same thing over again with the new CX-5. Releasing as a new 2017 half way through 2017. It should be a 2018 just as the CX-9 should've been a new for 2017 model and all those CX-9's sitting on lots would still be worth a new car price. Now Mazda is stuck selling them as "last year's model". Nobody is paying any where near a typical new car deal on last year's model. Someone at the top at Mazda needs to be fired for these types of decisions.

Yep, in the Boston area we have 4-5 Mazda dealers and between all of them they have around 40-50 new CX9. I am interested in the GT trim but waiting for very appealing deal before pulling the trigger. With 12-14 GT cars available in the area they should do something soon.

My guess is Mazda over estimated their sales forecasts on the CX9 thinking that they would be moving a lot of them and take huge sales vol away from competition...now that it didn't pan out then they need to incentivize the buyers in order to buy the remaining 2016s. I agree that it was a bad move of introducing the 16MY around mid year last yr and should have just introduced them as 2017s. Oh well too late to get that back now!

HI all - new to the forum and first post - thank god I read this.

I was told the 2016 model was FOR 2017....clearly now a sales pitch as I thought it was strange to consider a 2016 model to be 2017. I was just days away from picking a Cx9. If the differences are subtle and not that much, I may end up picking up the 2016 at a discount as I'm sure some dealerships will be itching to get rid of them to make room for the new ones.

I'm currently a BMW x1 M driver and need something far more spacious and comfortable and I'm really liking the CX-9. Hondas are too "ugly" imo, Toyota's a bit over priced, and would prefer something foreign engineered (sorry Chrylser fans, not touching that nonsense!).

HI all - new to the forum and first post - thank god I read this.

I was told the 2016 model was FOR 2017....clearly now a sales pitch as I thought it was strange to consider a 2016 model to be 2017. I was just days away from picking a Cx9. If the differences are subtle and not that much, I may end up picking up the 2016 at a discount as I'm sure some dealerships will be itching to get rid of them to make room for the new ones.

I'm currently a BMW x1 M driver and need something far more spacious and comfortable and I'm really liking the CX-9. Hondas are too "ugly" imo, Toyota's a bit over priced, and would prefer something foreign engineered (sorry Chrylser fans, not touching that nonsense!).

i agree with your approach: wait for 2017 MY to actually get to dealerships then get a nice discount on 2016 GT or Signature (which are essentially the same as 2017 anyways....only the lower trims got more "standard" features).

⋯ Hondas are too "ugly" imo, Toyota's a bit over priced, and would prefer something foreign engineered (sorry Chrylser fans, not touching that nonsense!).
But Chrylser now is "foreign engineered" too by Fiat ... ;)

Back