Fwd?

DeluxePromo

:
Cx-5
Hi all currently have a 2013 cx5 and love it but really like the newer Mazda 3 5-door hatchback. How does it perform is harsh snow or rain without all wheel drive, it's the only thing keeping me from buying it 😂.

Keep in mind that a 2 wheel drive vehicle will never be as safe as an all-wheel/4 wheel drive vehicle in heavy snow. Have you seen this?

http://www.mazda-motors.com/news/mazda-ice-academy-trial-by-ice-and-snow-cx-5-cx-3-and-mx-5/

That being said, I must also mention that for most plowed roads, a Mazda3 with snow tires will perform adequately, just as my brother's 2 wheel drive Subaru did in 1976 in Connecticut. And yes, Subaru used to make front wheel drive cars that were not also all wheel drive.

Good snow tires make more of an impact on snow traction than AWD. Remember AWD does nothing for braking or steering.

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

Good snow tires make more of an impact on snow traction than AWD. Remember AWD does nothing for braking or steering.

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

Bingo!

You do not need 4wd.

FWD or RWD will be adequate for any plowed roads, and for anything other than deep snow. All you need is good tires, and some good driving technique.

I grew up in New England, and have lived in Colorado and Chicago as well. I've never once owned a 4wd car, and never once got stuck.

With good tires, your Mazda 3 will be fine.

Did you guys take a look at the link I posted? AWD does have its advantages. My brother drove front wheel drive cars (Honda. Subaru) for many years in Connecticut. He switched to Subaru AWD in the 80s and never went back. Going up steep hills in heavy snow is not something you'd like to do with front wheel drive only, even with snow tires. A good AWD vehicle with snow tires does it with ease.

Did you guys take a look at the link I posted? AWD does have its advantages. My brother drove front wheel drive cars (Honda. Subaru) for many years in Connecticut. He switched to Subaru AWD in the 80s and never went back. Going up steep hills in heavy snow is not something you'd like to do with front wheel drive only, even with snow tires. A good AWD vehicle with snow tires does it with ease.

I read the link.

Nobody would disagree that AWD has advantages...

The point is that the OP wants a FWD car, and is concerned that it won't be able to handle snow. I am saying that it will be able to handle snow just fine, assuming he has good tires.

Sure, an AWD car on equal tires would get up a snowy hill better than a FWD car would. A FWD car with good snow tires, will get up a hill better than an AWD car with s*** tires though.

AWD is a luxury, not a necessity, unless you live somewhere without plowed roads.

Snow is nothing, ice on the other hand...

While I live in the southeast and rarely see either, I do travel further north (Virginia and W. Virginia) for snowboarding frequently.. I've driven my P5s, my MS3 and RX8 in snow without issue. My first P5 back in 2010, I drove in W. Virginia (Colloquially known as Snowmaggedon) who had 22" of snow. No problems. Rode for 6 hours while they got another 4", got on the road and drove home. Modern cars, especially those equipped with traction control and limited slips, paired with quality tires and, most importantly, a quality driver should have no issues on plowed roads.

Where does the OP live? I guarantee you that if he lives at the top of a steep hill, he will appreciate AWD. (The cost difference is not that much anymore.) For a couple of years I lived in such a location. I had to park at the base of the hill and walk up to get to the house after heavy snowfall in CT.

So a decision such as this one may rely on the hill factor, most of all. I agree that on level (plowed) roads, most vehicles will be fine.

You'll miss that AWD come summertime and you want to do some canyon runs but you are stuck with fail wheel drive :/

You'll miss that AWD come summertime and you want to do some canyon runs but you are stuck with fail wheel drive :/
...right. Because that's what the OP is looking for. I looked at his posts the other day and he doesn't seem to be the kinda guy who does canyon runs, but I could be wrong. Seems interested in interior lighting and sound. Not only that, but I'd probably walk circles around him in one of my FWD cars. Additionally, if your goal is to do "canyon runs" you probably shouldn't get a CUV...

Last edited:
I went from an AWD Subaru XV to a FWD 2014 Mazda3 Hatch. I put Nokian Hakkapelita 8 studded tires on both and I dont think i can even count on one hand the number of times I wish I still had the AWD. I have never been stuck in my mazda, but have been stuck in the subaru because I got overconfident with the AWD. For the amount I drive (90,000kms in 3 years) the difference in milage definitely outweighs the AWD.

It's all about what you plan to do with the vehicle if AWD makes sense for you.

Minnesota, Mississippi and Wisconsin do not permit any studded tires, at any time.

Alaska, Alabama, Florida and Louisiana, allow studs made out of rubber materials so they do not cause any damage to roads and highways.

Due to fuel mileage reasons alone, I think it's safe to assume that this is also not something the OP will consider using.

Minnesota, Mississippi and Wisconsin do not permit any studded tires, at any time.

Alaska, Alabama, Florida and Louisiana, allow studs made out of rubber materials so they do not cause any damage to roads and highways.

Due to fuel mileage reasons alone, I think it's safe to assume that this is also not something the OP will consider using.

It never occurred to me that some states don't allow studded tires. Every province in Canada allows studded tires (although some only allow them in the winter months). I honestly don't notice any difference in mileage between my winter and summer tires.

I believe the banning of studded tires is due primarily to the damage they incur to the road surfaces. When I was in Connecticut, I could hear a vehicle with studded tires on dry pavement from a half mile away.

Every province in Canada allows studded tires (although some only allow them in the winter months).
There are also limitations in some provinces on where they can be used, even in the winter.

Studded tires are very effective on ice, but I've driven through winters for four decades without them... or AWD.

Back