Heated seats - intermittent issue

kleinz

:
Mazda 5 2009 GT, Stormy Blue
The heated seats on my '09 GT have been acting a bit lazy lately. Usually they'll turn on without trouble, but occasionally they'll turn on for a second, then shut off. Other times they won't turn on at all. In either case they will generally start working after flipping the switch several times.

I should mention that lately it hasn't been particularly cold outside, so I don't know if the warmer temperature is causing the thermostat to shut off the heat? However I had the same issue with one of the seats during a cold spell, so it seems to be a persistent problem. Also the two seats seem to have the same issue, independently - one will work fine while the other shuts off.

When working, the seats heat quickly and comfortably. I've also noticed an occasional dimming on the light within the switch, right after turning it on. It seems like the dimming corrrsponds with the point where the seat either shuts off, or continues working without issue.

I've checked the fuses and they seem fine. What other things should I check? I'm not familiar with the components in heated seats so I'm not sure where to start looking. I have looked underneath the seats and verified that the various connectors are seated.

Okay, so the problem appears to be the switches themselves. Turns out the heater works fine, if I only flip the switch part way - if I push it all the way to the "on" position it turns off. The switches are pretty stiff and don't have any "click" to them, so I think they just need replacing.

Anyone know how to remove the trim around the switches/cup holder area?

Nice work. Mine has always been operating inconsistency and the LED works intermittently too. I have long suspected the switch and though what idiot designer would put a high current switch in front of cup holders!!?... An easy way to check is to jump the switch to see if the seat gets warm. I never needed heated seats so never bother to investigate but your work confirms it! Good job! Now, go relocate the switch up higher on the panel next to the 12V outlet! I’ve always wondered if you can replace the OE switch with once that can control variable current (say 1-4 setting) to control heat setting. Worth investigating if you have a local u-pull-it yard.

search youtube for "Mazda 5 radio" to see how see the panel comes off.

Thanks guys! I actually ordered replacement switches from a dealer in Atlanta, however they just informed me that the parts I ordered were not compatible with my VIN. I'll have to look into that, however I'm thinking I'll let them be for now because the cold season is almost over here in St Louis, plus now that I know the "trick" I've found it's not too hard to turn the seat warmers on consistently - just be gentle on the switch and stop pressing when the switch lights up. Seats heat up quickly every time, just gotta watch the switch position.

I'll have to see about relocating the switch - I wonder if I could move them to the empty button panels on the lower dash, to the left of the steering wheel?

I'll have to see about relocating the switch - I wonder if I could move them to the empty button panels on the lower dash, to the left of the steering wheel?

Good idea! Yours may be different, but all mine are blanks, and it's an ideal place for an aftermarket switch. Only downside I see is that your passenger will have to ask you to turn on their seat heater for them.

Okay, so the problem appears to be the switches themselves. Turns out the heater works fine, if I only flip the switch part way - if I push it all the way to the "on" position it turns off. The switches are pretty stiff and don't have any "click" to them, so I think they just need replacing.

Anyone know how to remove the trim around the switches/cup holder area?

The switches are actually quite simple to get to, just grab both sides of the cup holders and pull straight up (hand brake lever will need to be up obviously), should just pop off. Then you will be able to unplug the wiring to the switches and the whole panel will come free. The switches can then be removed from the panel (held in by a couple of tabs that you press in).

Both my seat heaters quit working a couple years ago, never really considered the switches to be the problem but might look into it more. I figured my element went out because the last time it worked, the seat got uncomfortably hot so I turned it off. Turned it back on after it cooled down and it got really hot again. Once more I turned it off, waited until it cooled down and turned it back on - didn't warm up at all. Hasn't worked since. The passenger side didn't get really hot, it just quit. Got a quote from the dealer and they wanted over $400 PER SEAT to fix. I don't think so. Bought a pair of Wet Okole heated seat covers instead.

The switches are actually quite simple to get to, just grab both sides of the cup holders and pull straight up (hand brake lever will need to be up obviously), should just pop off. Then you will be able to unplug the wiring to the switches and the whole panel will come free. The switches can then be removed from the panel (held in by a couple of tabs that you press in).

Both my seat heaters quit working a couple years ago, never really considered the switches to be the problem but might look into it more. I figured my element went out because the last time it worked, the seat got uncomfortably hot so I turned it off. Turned it back on after it cooled down and it got really hot again. Once more I turned it off, waited until it cooled down and turned it back on - didn't warm up at all. Hasn't worked since. The passenger side didn't get really hot, it just quit. Got a quote from the dealer and they wanted over $400 PER SEAT to fix. I don't think so. Bought a pair of Wet Okole heated seat covers instead.

Very similar experience in my 2007... also didn't think the issue might be with the switches. I also took it to the dealer who wanted $600 a seat to fix them (in Canada), which I think meant swapping out the old seats for new ones. Dealers don't fix things they just replace whole parts, so they probably didn't even think to look at the switches. I'll have to investigate this further.

Someone should run a poll on here asking if their heaters still work...

Back