In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: New Mazda5 owner! Couldn't be happier!

  1. #1
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41

    New Mazda5 owner! Couldn't be happier!

    Traded it our old clunker XC90 for this beauty yesterday:



    Love it love it love it. It's a 2010, tan cloth interior, manual seats but auto climate control. 24K miles, 1 previous owner. Drives like a new car. It was purchased in Port St. Lucie, FL, and lived most of its early life there. Has a nice tint job so it will be cool as a cucumber in the summer.

    I love Mazdas and am so happy to be back in one. We had a 2005 MPV we owned for a number of years and never should have sold, and I've owned several RX-7s. Glad to be back in the fold.

    Just gave it its first old change today (first thing I like to do with my new acquisitions). Wix filter and 4.5 quarts of 5W-20 semi-syn and she purrs like a kitten.

    First question: Is there a way to fold down just one of the 2nd row seats and still have the center cupholder/bin deployed? Reason I ask is b/c we have 2 kids, and on long trips sometimes we like to put one in the 3rd row with the seat in front of him folded down, and one in the 2nd row, and we'd like the kid in the 2nd row to still be able to use her cupholder. I've tried to just fold it down but the armrest gets in the way. Any insight?

    Thanks, and nice to meet you all!
    '10 Mazda5 '02 330i/5 '72 240Z

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    Mazda CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    40
    I live in Port St. Lucie. There are no Mazda dealers in the city, but one each in the counties north and south. I bought mine in Stuart to the south. The original owner probably lived in PSL. Nice color and you don't need power seats.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2005 Mazda5 1.8 MT

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
    First question: Is there a way to fold down just one of the 2nd row seats and still have the center cupholder/bin deployed? Reason I ask is b/c we have 2 kids, and on long trips sometimes we like to put one in the 3rd row with the seat in front of him folded down, and one in the 2nd row, and we'd like the kid in the 2nd row to still be able to use her cupholder. I've tried to just fold it down but the armrest gets in the way. Any insight?
    Congratulations with the new car :-)
    I guess you have only two seats on the second row with armrests attached on both sides? I think you're out of luck then...
    I've got the European version with a foldable third seat and that configuration allows to fold the right hand side seat down with the cupholder in use.

    The armrest is removable, although it may not be an easy job.

    As an alternative, maybe you can place a thing like this between both seats?
    cupholder.jpg

  4. #4
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    I live in Port St. Lucie. There are no Mazda dealers in the city, but one each in the counties north and south. I bought mine in Stuart to the south. The original owner probably lived in PSL. Nice color and you don't need power seats.
    Thanks, and I agree about power seats. The only thing that's nice about them is the memory function, which is useful since my wife is a foot shorter than me and like to drive with the seatback more reclined than I do. But we'll survive.

    About PSL, the dealer pulled the Carfax and that's how it read. Looks like they bought the car new in 1/2010, moved up here to TN in mid-2015 and traded the car into the Ford dealership just a few weeks ago. I'm just happy it's not a northern car, with all the potential for salt damage that entails...

    Quote Originally Posted by deisz001 View Post
    Congratulations with the new car :-)
    I guess you have only two seats on the second row with armrests attached on both sides? I think you're out of luck then...
    I've got the European version with a foldable third seat and that configuration allows to fold the right hand side seat down with the cupholder in use.

    The armrest is removable, although it may not be an easy job.

    As an alternative, maybe you can place a thing like this between both seats?
    cupholder.jpg
    We do have just the two seats on the 2nd row with the "table" that rotates to stow under the seat bottom. I think it's just poor armrest design, which is disappointing since the rest of the car is so thoughtfully put together. And the kids like the armrests, so I don't think removing them is an option. Will have to investigate further and see what I can do.
    Last edited by Spannerhead; 01-30-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  5. #5
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41
    Some updates:

    - Got rid of the pinstripes.
    - Removed the sunroof baffle (AKA the mud trap).
    - Added roof bars, a 1.25" tow hitch and a 4-bike rack.
    - Purchased a set of front swaybar bushings but haven't installed them yet.

    Still loving it! What a great car.

    Latest pics after a bath today:







    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  6. #6
    Asian Persuasion <>< Hank3's Avatar
    Contributor

    2010 Mazda5 GT | 2014 Kia Soul !

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    4,624
    Removing the pinstriping from our 2010 MZ5 was one of the first things I did. It went pretty smoothly and quickly. I can't remember the exact chemical I used, but right after I got worried because it looked like the color didn't match where the pinstriping once was, but after a few days it looked fine.



  7. #7
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41
    Same here. A hairdryer loosened up the adhesive, and a razor blade held at just the right angle made quick work of the vinyl pinstripes. I haven't had good experience with Goof Off or Goo Gone re:removing the residue, so I (sparingly) used some Xylol I had lying around. Worked great.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  8. #8
    Asian Persuasion <>< Hank3's Avatar
    Contributor

    2010 Mazda5 GT | 2014 Kia Soul !

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    4,624
    Mine was painted on...not vinyl. It would've been easier if it were vinyl I think.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  9. #9
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41
    ^Oh yikes. Been there done that. We had an old Volvo with a painted-on pinstripe; it was hell trying to get it off. I used the "oven cleaner" technique... Never again.

  10. #10
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41
    Replaced the front and rear swaybar bushings today. Not the easiest job in the world for the fronts---especially for the driver's side. I had to get way up under the car and work around the subframe and steering rack. Lubed them up with some white lithium grease to prevent squeaking.

    The rears were cake. No more rattling over bumps now! The car drives like new. 25K miles and counting...

  11. #11
    ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

    '16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Red Bluff, CA
    Posts
    2,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
    Replaced the front and rear swaybar bushings today. Not the easiest job in the world for the fronts---especially for the driver's side. I had to get way up under the car and work around the subframe and steering rack. Lubed them up with some white lithium grease to prevent squeaking.

    The rears were cake. No more rattling over bumps now! The car drives like new. 25K miles and counting...
    It is amazing how much they improve the ride quality!
    Mazda's I have owned over the years.
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    2006 Mazda 5

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
    How is the sunroof clearance with the Rola racks? We just picked up a sunroof model to replace our old one, but I haven't moved our Rola bars over yet. Looks like the mounting points are right over the glass.

  13. #13
    Save the Manuals! Spannerhead's Avatar

    2010 Mazda5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    41
    It has tons of clearance, BUT it should be noted that our 5 has an aftermarket sunroof. See:

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...headliner-Help!

    I can't imagine the factory sunroof clearance would be tighter than what we have, though.

Similar Threads

  1. Came from an '11 Ram, really couldn't be happier!
    By ArmyofOne in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM
  3. Could not be happier with ken
    By cjms3 in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
  4. New Mazda5 owner here
    By Hambone in forum Mazda5 Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 03:19 PM
  5. 2006 Acura TSX Rev Happier!
    By mikeyb in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 01:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •