Murano Platinum AWD or CX9 GT AWD

Question re the 2017 Murano and 2017 CX9 is wrt sporty handling characteristics, mainly at highway speeds (e.g., twisty roads). Most reviewers praise the CX9's German-like road handling compared to competitor 3-row-seat SUVs. On the other hand, most reviewers say that the current version of the Murano is more cruiser than sporty (compared to other two row SUVs). I've not seen a direct road test comparing the Murano and the CX9. Have any of you driven both vehicles? Since the Murano is 300+ lbs lighter than the CX9 I'd except its road handling to be at least a good as the CX9. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I test drove both cars. The Murano felt like it handled like a boat, wasn't as bad as the rogue and pathfinder (drove those too). Everything time I see a Murano on the road, I say to myself "I'm glad I didn't get that car", because I was close getting one. also, the cx-9 is a sexy beast, Murano looks get old fairly quickly.

Had a Maxima and it was great for a few years, then sensors and other stuff began failing before 100k. I believe the Murano is also a bit smaller than a CX-9. You can also look at a CX-5 or Santa Fe if you are budget conscious. If you are leasing you can probably save a few bucks with a KIA SUV knowing that you will be giving it back to the dealer. I wouldn't buy one because of their flaws, but they have cheap leasing deals.

I, personally, would avoid any Nissan product with a CVT. I just couldn't get over the sensation of that transmission.

I had narrowed my search down to the Murano Platinum and the CX-9 GT. Once I got the pricing down on the Mazda to where I wanted, it was a no-brainer. I loved the looks of the Murano (still do) and the inside was nice as well. The front seats are probably the most comfortable I've ever sat in. But then I drove it. As someone mentioned above, it really does drive like a boat. The engine whines and it has a lot of roll side-to-side when turning. I quickly realized I would never look forward to driving it. It looks great but what's the point if it's not enjoyable to drive. The Mazda is a pleasure to drive. I traded in a Mercedes C-300 for it and the CX-9 is way more fun to drive than that was. Highly recommended!

i would prefer the CX-9 as well (have owned a 2005 nissan murano in the past) but to be fair, you should post this exact same question on a Nissan Murano forum.

Test drove a Murano Platinum AWD and a Mazda CX9 Signature AWD, on the same day and on the same roads. Murano has many attractive features and is a few $$k less expensive, but the CX9 felt much safer wrt road manners and emergency maneuvers. Very German like. Bought the Mazda.

Last edited:
i would prefer the CX-9 as well (have owned a 2005 nissan murano in the past) but to be fair, you should post this exact same question on a Nissan Murano forum.

I have an odd feeling that they would suggest Murano.

I have an odd feeling that they would suggest Murano.

exactly - because unbiased info is hard to come by on forums of this nature....i'm sure we try but most of us are here because we like Mazdas....just wanted to make sure OP gets both sides.

We own a Murano Cross Cabrio and love it. You get used to the CVT. Plenty powerful and snow is no issue. Just bought a CX 9, so jury is still out. Haven't had any mechanical issues yet from the Murano in 40k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back