How do I tell ....

Whether I have an FW6A-EL AT or an FW6AX-EL AT? Redline Oil shows both. Do I care?
FW6A-EL AT is for FWD and FW6AX-EL AT is for AWD. The ATF used is the same. I'd use OEM Mazda Genuine ATF FZ for drain-and-fill to guarantee the total compatibility as we can only drain out about 3 quarts from our transmission with 8.2 quarts of total capacity.

OKaay! Thanks!

Only Mazda fluid is readily available. There is other stuff, but it comes from Europe or the U.K.

The service manual says 3.7 to 5.1 quarts for a drain and refill. Why such a wide range? Looking to order some, now.

Mazda Genuine ATF FZ

Mazda Genuine ATF FZ, p/n 0000-FZ-113E-01, is made by Idemitsu and available at https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and our sponsor Med Center Mazda.

413hej5jwyL._SY300_.jpg

The service manual says 3.7 to 5.1 quarts for a drain and refill. Why such a wide range? Looking to order some, now.
Mazda has been known giving some incorrect specifications for fluid capacity like engine oil and rear differential gear lubricant. My guess is as different ambient temperature does affect the volume of the ATF, hence the wide range giving by Mazda for ATF drain-and-fill. Get 4 quarts of ATF for one-time drain-and-fill is a common knowledge from people who had done it as they found about 3 quarts of old ATF were drained out. Of course the best is to measure the ATF level with dipstick at proper temperature but it's not an easy task. Here are some posts which discussed the ATF quantity for drain-and-fill:

A drain and fill of approx. 5.1 US qt, per service manual is pretty much the only service regarding the ATF.
So did you pour in 4 quarts of fresh Mazda Type FZ ATF for the drain-and-fill?
3 quarts and about ~24 oz, still have a little bit left on the 4th bottle.

Back