SashaPave

:
08 CX-9
Hi all,

I have the dreaded transfer case symptoms:

- Burning smell
- Rear engine mount has oil on it
- AWD not functioning

However there are no strange noises and the car drives fine (except in the snow).

I'm worried if I bring the car in to have the transfer case replaced, I'll discover the splines from the transmission shaft are shot as well.

The car has 128k miles and it's not worth putting in a new transmission & transfer case at this point.

Question: Is there a way to tell if the splines on the shaft are busted without taking off the transfer case?

Thanks!
Sasha

nope there is no way, you really have to take out the trasnfer case but you can put the car back together without the transfer case if you find out the transmission splines to be bad, take much less time and saves a lot of weight on the car.

nope there is no way, you really have to take out the trasnfer case but you can put the car back together without the transfer case if you find out the transmission splines to be bad, take much less time and saves a lot of weight on the car.

Thanks fir the suggestion! I hadn't considered that.

Do you know if there are any special things you need to do in that situation? Like sealing openings?

I'm taking it to a local dealer so I'll have to get creative getting it out of there without a transfer case.

no don't have to do anything, it is not sealed between the TC and the transmission, there si a seal for the axle on the right side which should be good. You also need to take out the driveshaft which may require a little work on the exhaust for one of the bolt.

Sorry to hear about your dead horse. You have 128k miles. Why are you taking it to a dealer? If you are interested in saving a large sum of money, I might suggest contacting a reputable salvage vendor and purchasing a used transmission & transfer case assembly with low mileage and having a transmission shop replace it, you will save thousands of dollars. Just an idea, sir.

Latest posts

Back