KYB rear strut choices

:
mazda5 GT 2009
I am replacing rear struts and deciding bet. KYB 551105 gasajust OR 343412 excel g. Gasajusts are $10 more on amazon. Why are they better than excel g? Do they last longer? Thanks.

Per KYB's site...

EXCEL-G
Purpose: The absolute best product to restore original handling and control

> Calibrated to compensate for worn suspensions
> Components and valving are designed specifically for each application
> Designed to help restore OE performance for normal driving conditions
> Built with quality that matches or exceeds OE
> Coverage for domestic and import cars, trucks, vans, minivans, and SUVs

GAS-A-JUST
Purpose: Increased vehicle stability, handling, and control over twin-tube designs.

> The correct replacement for monotube equipped vehicles
> A performance upgrade for twin-tube equipped vehicles
> The monotube design is more responsive and automatically adjusts to driving conditions
> Provides a firmer ride and additional control
> Applications for cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs

I have Excels on the Mazda5 and Gas-A-Justs on the V70. Both are long roofs so have extra weight out back. The Mazda5 has the Excels all the way around and I have no complaints. The V70 has Koni yellows up front adjusted to be semi-stiff and aftermarket anti-sway bars. The Volvo is flatter and firmer, but the Mazda5 is plenty fun with the ordinary twin-tube shocks. BTW the monotube units are supposed to be sealed so they react differently to repeated demands like curvy roads and hard turns. The twin-tubes are sealed to each other, but because the fluid transfers btw the inner and outer tubes, the hydraulic fluid supposedly foams faster, so not as good as monotubes in high demand settings like road courses.

IOW, drive it like a limo: Excel, drive it like an auto-cross: Gas-a-Just

I put KYB gas adjust on my rear 2010 5 last spring and they have been great!

So I will be using gasajusts then. Aside from the strut boot and upper mount, what else likely needs to be replaced in the rear?

KYB Excel-G's lasted less than a year in mine in the rear. Front's have held up though. Replaced the rears with NAPA premium and they have held up so far. Once they go out, will be going with Koni FSD on all 4 corners.

KYB Excel-G's lasted less than a year in mine in the rear. Front's
have held up though. Replaced the rears with NAPA premium and they have held up so far. Once they go out, will be going with Koni FSD on all 4 corners.

Wow do u think they were defective? I have 87k miles on my 2009 mazda 5 and I am hoping to never have suspension issues again at least for another 80k miles with the gasajusts. I just replaced front suspension with kyb struts, mounts, boot and moog lca, end links, fsb bushings.

Wow do u think they were defective? I have 87k miles on my 2009 mazda 5 and I am hoping to never have suspension issues again at least for another 80k miles with the gasajusts. I just replaced front suspension with kyb struts, mounts, boot and moog lca, end links, fsb bushings.

It's possible they were defective. Except BOTH were shot. I bought them on Amazon and since they were sold by and shipped from Amazon, they were easy to get most of my money back and I sent them back, since they were listed as a lifetime warranty.

How big of a job was it to replace the bushings and everything else?

It's possible they were defective. Except BOTH were shot. I bought them on Amazon and since they were sold by and shipped from Amazon, they were easy to get most of my money back and I sent them back, since they were listed as a lifetime warranty.

How big of a job was it to replace the bushings and everything else?

Good to know since I also got almost everything from amazon. I paid a local shop $350 to install all the front suspension parts plus serpentine/ AC belt.

I got my KYB monotube gas adjusts from an online parts supply here in Canada (Wrench Monkey). So far (since last spring) they have been fine including a long-ish heavily loaded winter drive. I also replaced the mounts with Dorman (from Mazda) mounts but honestly the old ones looked fine. The reason I replaced the Mazda shocks is because one of them had failed since buying the car new (2010) - was clunking loudly over bumps, the other one (replacement still good) had failed about 3 years ago. I replaced both good and failed mazda shocks with the new KYB monotube gas adjust. I am happy so far.

Back