New owner - 2009 GT

kleinz

:
Mazda 5 2009 GT, Stormy Blue
Just drove home a Stormy Blue 2009 GT with 103k miles on it. Owner had a current safety inspection included so I swung by the DMV and slapped some plates on it. First non-truck/SUV I've owned, and I'm surprised how much I like it. :)

00B0B_4WOULGLjKRA_600x450.jpg

00K0K_7RNlB7fjUOF_600x450.jpg

We're a family of 4 and our current ride is a Nissan Armada, which we really like, but that boy sure guzzles the gas. We're still keeping it for long hauls when we're towing a camper trailer, but this will be our main ride around town.

Previous owner had just replaced the motor mounts and sway bar bushings. I haven't decided what sort of modifications I want to make, but I'm looking forward to customizing this rig. And wow, this thing handles like a sports car - or at least how I imagine a sports car would handle. (drive)

A couple issues so far - airbag light started flashing at me, so I'm having the dealer check that out tomorrow. Also fog lights and the overhead DVD player don't work - I'm hoping it's a matter of a fuse/relay and maybe reconnecting a loose wire respectively to resolve those.

Looking forward to hanging around here and learning some cool tricks!

Last edited:
congrats, hopefully it gives you many years of service. like someone else recommended in your "shopping around" thread, I HIGHLY recommend the adjustable upper camber arms for the rear suspension. it will pay for itself in the first set or tires.

congrats, hopefully it gives you many years of service. like someone else recommended in your "shopping around" thread, I HIGHLY recommend the adjustable upper camber arms for the rear suspension. it will pay for itself in the first set or tires.

Can someone point me to a good "how to" on that installation? I've seen a number of mentions of it on the forum but I haven't done much suspension work myself.

Oh and if you have the AT in it (thought all GT's did), if you have any doubts about how long the tranny fluid has been in it and if it is looking brown at all, most people here would recommend you do a 3X drain & fill. I did that on mine a couple years ago and the difference was night and day. Now I just do a 1X drain & fill before every winter and the ATF stays nice and red all year. Going on 112,000 miles on the tranny now, and no reason it shouldn't go 200k. I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Thanks! :)

Oh and if you have the AT in it (thought all GT's did), if you have any doubts about how long the tranny fluid has been in it and if it is looking brown at all, most people here would recommend you do a 3X drain & fill. I did that on mine a couple years ago and the difference was night and day. Now I just do a 1X drain & fill before every winter and the ATF stays nice and red all year. Going on 112,000 miles on the tranny now, and no reason it shouldn't go 200k. I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Thanks, I'll definitely check on that.

Back