Can All US Dealers Order Mazda Moly Oil?

Actually it is $5.99 per quart for a 55 gallon 220 quart drum. However the additive fall-out will be the problem id not used within a year states General motors. Ed

assuming you go to a dealer to get this changed, what is the cost of an oil change like and is it still every 7500 miles (2017 cx5 manual says 7500 but i could have sworn the 16 was lower, like every 5 or 6k). In my 16 CX5, oil changes with Castrol cost me $70 (Castrol would give a $20 rebate each time). Looks like these oil changes, based on oil and filter cost, can be up in the $200 range? How much of a difference does it make? I plan to own the car for a while
For Gen-2 CX-5 Mazda recommends owners use "Flexible" oil change interval which is "up" to 7,500 miles or 12 months maximum. You should use it until the "Oil change due" message comes up with a wrench indicator. Usually the Flexible OCI should be less than maximum allowed depending on your driving conditions.

For 2016 CX-5 the Flexible OCI is up to 10,000 miles or 12 months. The fixed OCI is 7,500 miles or 6 months whichever comes first under normal driving conditions (Schedule 1) but 5,000 miles or 4 months for severe conditions (Schedule 2).

My dealer charges $60 for standard oil change with "Preferred Choice", and $10 additional with Mazda moly oil.

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-01_20151215.jpg

If you are totally decided on running the Moly oil the the best way is to order it online. If you cannot change the oil yourself you can give it to the dealer and hope and trust they use it. Ask for the empty bottles back.

The reality is you can use any major brand of 0w20 oil. They all have moly in them. They would provide the same protection as the Mazda oil at a far less cost to you.

The UOAs indicate the Mazda oil has some of the higher levels compared to the competitors.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854237-SkyActiv-Oil-Analysis-Thread

If you are totally decided on running the Moly oil the the best way is to order it online. If you cannot change the oil yourself you can give it to the dealer and hope and trust they use it. Ask for the empty bottles back.

The reality is you can use any major brand of 0w20 oil. They all have moly in them. They would provide the same protection as the Mazda oil at a far less cost to you.

Yes it is higher but do we have any stats that show that 200ppm is better than 100 or 800 is even better?

Most major brands of oil are using the tri nuclear version of moly which means less is needed to accomplish the task. The law of diminishing returns applies very well here.

Just to be clear; I’m not against the Mazda Moly oil. It’s great stuff. But for less than $22 one can buy Valvoline’s new synthetic which has sufficient moly plus titanium and boron to boot, or pick from a number of major brands all having moly in them.

The invoice on our first oil change indicated that they used 'Service Pro' which I'd never heard of before. I googled it and found some discussion of it over at that bob's the oil guy forum. Seems like the consensus is it's a good oil so I didn't worry about it. Mazda doesn't appear to have their own oil standard to find marked on a bottle like GM or VW. Would be nice if they did as I think that would help with consumers feeling comfortable with it. Also, I really doubt a dealer would use an oil in that's considered unsuitable by Mazda.

The Service Pro oil my dealer used does appear to be up to the latest Dexos standard which is encouraging as well.

Just changed the oil today, swapping the Idemitsu factory fill for Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20 Plus the M1 108 filter. Factory oil had just over 1600 miles which is a little over the 1k I usually change the oil at on new cars. I will run this to 5k and then 5k thereafter.

Oil had no fuel smell and was a dark amber color.

Just changed the oil today, swapping the Idemitsu factory fill for Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20 Plus the M1 108 filter. Factory oil had just over 1600 miles which is a little over the 1k I usually change the oil at on new cars. I will run this to 5k and then 5k thereafter.

Oil had no fuel smell and was a dark amber color.

That's because you changed it waayy to early. To each his own.(crazy)

I always change out the factory fill early. I understand it’s a personal preference.

Yeah, used to be general practice for a lot of us. You could've easily gone 5k on the factory fill. You threw out some really good stuff way too early. But like you said, personal choice.

Back