2016 GT. Anyone figured out a good system for keys?

Koert

:
2016 CX-9 GT AWD
After talking with a friend, I'm more confused than ever about how the 2016 CX-9 keys work.

Here's what I would like to do:

1) Have a permanent hide-a-key that only operates the doors.
2) Hide a fully functional key inside the vehicle.
3) Have key that I can lock up with and then take surfing or swimming. (Jaguar makes a waterproof Activity Key that can be worn as a bracelet.)

The most confusing variable involves "shielding" a key's radio transmission from the car. If tried a couple different places and sometimes the key is ignored and other times it's recognized. Also, if I pull out the mechanical key, is the key fob disabled? Is the mechanical key waterproof (I'm guessing it's not.)

Has anyone figured this out? It's tough getting used to having passive keys. Yesterday my wife and I were shuttling the dogs around and I almost drove away as she walked into the house with my key. Luckily, a warning sounded, and equally luckily, I didn't ignore it. :)

After talking with a friend, I'm more confused than ever about how the 2016 CX-9 keys work.

Here's what I would like to do:

1) Have a permanent hide-a-key that only operates the doors.
2) Hide a fully functional key inside the vehicle.
3) Have key that I can lock up with and then take surfing or swimming. (Jaguar makes a waterproof Activity Key that can be worn as a bracelet.)

The most confusing variable involves "shielding" a key's radio transmission from the car. If tried a couple different places and sometimes the key is ignored and other times it's recognized. Also, if I pull out the mechanical key, is the key fob disabled? Is the mechanical key waterproof (I'm guessing it's not.)

Has anyone figured this out? It's tough getting used to having passive keys. Yesterday my wife and I were shuttling the dogs around and I almost drove away as she walked into the house with my key. Luckily, a warning sounded, and equally luckily, I didn't ignore it. :)

The mechanical key is just that--mechanical. I actually put my '12's proximity key through the washing machine, and it still worked fine afterwards--but I wouldn't recommend doing that. I think the mechanical key should be waterproof.

I think you need to understand better how the proximity key works.

1) There is no key that "only operates the doors". The closest thing to this is the mechanical key.
2) You can't hide a fully-functional key in the car, unless you put it inside some type of steel box so it can't transmit a signal. Otherwise, you won't be able to lock the car, because the car will detect the key inside of it.
3) You want Jag features, you are going to need to pony up and get a Jag.

The fob itself needs to be pretty close to the door handle or the ignition to be recognized.

Removing the mechanical key does not affect the fob itself at all.

I know this technology is new to you, but it's not new. I've had cars with this for 10 years now. You'll get used to it quickly.

Thanks, I know I'm behind the times but I haven't bought a new car in 17 years and my wife's Audi has never seen a wetsuit. :)

It sounds like I could use a mechanical key as a conventional hide-a-key, and also keep another mechanical key on me when I'm in the water. I would just have to figure out some sort of radio frequency blocking storage for the key fob that stays in the car. (I tried starting the car with only the mechanical key and, although it was recognized, I had no ignition.)

Another alternative would be to keep the key fob on me at all times, perhaps in a waterproof holder of some type. Being able to get out of the water, open the car, and drive home without fumbling for keys would be a real luxury!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-car-while-surfing-swimming&highlight=surfing

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the manual. That's way easier to read than the paper version. I had looked through the manual quickly and never found any information regarding shielding a key fob's radio waves, or exactly what the relationship of the manual key is to the fob.

This excerpt from the manual is interesting: "If a key is left in the vehicle, the functions of the key left in the vehicle are temporarily suspended to prevent theft of the vehicle. To restore the functions, press the unlock button on the functions-suspended key in the vehicle."

I'd really like to figure out how to implement a hide-a-key, just in case I were to ever lose my key in a place where I couldn't call roadside assistance.

I'd really like to figure out how to implement a hide-a-key, just in case I were to ever lose my key in a place where I couldn't call roadside assistance.

I just have one question: You've been driving for many years--have you ever had a situation where you needed this hide-a-key solution? Maybe it's time to re-think old habits.

I just have one question: You've been driving for many years--have you ever had a situation where you needed this hide-a-key solution? Maybe it's time to re-think old habits.
Surprisingly, yes, probably once every year or two with my previous car. But, again, it's a completely different situation with my wife's Audi, which we never use for "fun" stuff. Any activity where we're changing clothes, just being active, carrying packs, shuttling cars, or having people come back to the car at different times introduces the possibility of misplacing the key or being locked out of the car. No big deal if we're in a place where roadside assistance is easily available, but that's not always the case.

Luckily (knock on wood) I've never been seriously injured, but I've seen a bunch of medical emergencies where having a hide-a-key solves some logistical problems. On our Sprinter motorhome, I have a combination lock on a hatch where a key to the coach door is hidden. The extra ignition key is extremely well hidden inside the motorhome and would only be used for emergencies. I'd love to have a similar system for the CX-9.

If there's no practical way to do that, maybe putting my key on a neck lanyard, with some sort of waterproof pouch, would be the best solution.

Edit: I just did a quick test and it seems that the auxiliary key only operates the door locks and can't be used to start the car. And, the key fob seems to operate exactly the same whether the auxiliary key is in it or not. So, a hide-a-key would apparently work, with little risk of the car being stolen, if I just order a new key fob, hide the auxiliary key on the outside of the car, and then hide the shielded key fob somewhere within the car.

I've heard different things regarding the waterproofness of the auxiliary key, but an easy solution for surfing would be to separate the key, hide the fob in an RF shielded container, and then take the auxiliary key with me.

Last edited:
Edit: I just did a quick test and it seems that the auxiliary key only operates the door locks and can't be used to start the car. And, the key fob seems to operate exactly the same whether the auxiliary key is in it or not. So, a hide-a-key would apparently work, with little risk of the car being stolen, if I just order a new key fob, hide the auxiliary key on the outside of the car, and then hide the shielded key fob somewhere within the car.

Correct. On my '12, you actually CAN use the mechanical key to start the car. There's no start button pre-'16 MY--there's a crank, with a plastic cover. The cover pops off and you can put the mechanical key in to turn the crank.

Let us know if you find some type of box that you can store the fob in. I'm betting a small fire-proof document box from Staples would do the trick, and it might fit under the cargo floor.

Just tried a couple different ways to shield the key fob.

Surprisingly, an anti-static electronics bag had no effect, even when folded into four or five thicknesses. (EZ Passes apparently come wrapped in some sort of RF-blocking packaging, but I don't have one of those.)

A loose wrapping of tin foil didn't work, but several layers of tin foil completely blocked the radio frequency signal. I couldn't find a small metal can to test but an aluminum soda can, with the opening folded over twice, didn't block the signal.

So, aluminum foil it is. Now to figure out the best place to get a third key fob.

Back