MSP Excessive Oil Burning - What am I missing?

tcmar74

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello everyone,

I've owned my MSP for only about 6 months and I really enjoy the car. It has 182k miles on it and I knew it was burning oil when I bought the car. The PO was certain that it was the valve seals and that seemed logical to me, he sold it to me for dirt cheap because we are coworkers and the oil burning issue. I drove it around for a about 5 months and the issue was progressively getting worse so over the holidays I decided to fix it.

I tore the car apart, took the head to a machine shop to get a 3 angle valve job, the head decked, and valve seals replaced. I replaced any gaskets I came into contact with while I was into it. I can't find an oil leak anywhere even after 182k, so that isn't part of the issue. The car has a catch can that vents into the atmosphere rather than back into the intake so PCV isn't the issue. Valve seals are brand new and installed by a professional machine shop.

I'm still blowing smoke out of the exhaust and have used a quart of oil since I put the car back together about 5 days/200 miles or so ago. I did a compression test and came up with - 150, 166, 175, 155. I know these aren't perfect numbers and I don't expect to not be using any oil at all. I just wouldn't expect to be using as much as I am. I am definitely not an expert on this so if I'm wrong with my opinion on the compression test or if I'm missing something, please let me know.

Back