2008 CX-9 Transfer Case/Transmission follow-up after fixing

jcardona

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
Hi!
First post. Love the info on this forum.

I have a 2008 CX-9 GT with 133,000 miles that got stuck in the mountains in very little snow. I took it to my mechanic and sure enough, the transfer case and transmission went bad. They want to replace the transfer case and rebuild the transmission for a total price of $4,800.

In evaluating on whether I want to repair it or get rid of the car, I have a question for those that repaired the transfer case and transmission.

How has your new TC held up over time? I assume that there will always be the risk for future failures. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi!
First post. Love the info on this forum.

I have a 2008 CX-9 GT with 133,000 miles that got stuck in the mountains in very little snow. I took it to my mechanic and sure enough, the transfer case and transmission went bad. They want to replace the transfer case and rebuild the transmission for a total price of $4,800.

In evaluating on whether I want to repair it or get rid of the car, I have a question for those that repaired the transfer case and transmission.

How has your new TC held up over time? I assume that there will always be the risk for future failures. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

wow $4800 is a lot of money, not sure if it's worth it, does the CX-9 still drive OK ? I've read some AWD owners didn;t even realize the transfer case was broken and kept driving in FWD mode.....if so I would just keep driving till the wheels fall off and squeeze as much use out of the CX-9 and get your original money's worth, I don't think it's worth putting in another $4800 into it, @ 133,000 miles and a 2008 model year , IMHO, I would worry more about the water pump seal failing soon and coolant getting into the engine. There's a thread about the water pump replacement in the how to section, the water pump seal fails and the coolant leaks into the engine cavity, the engine oil ends up looking like chocolate milk, you should check it out..... last thing you want is to spend $4800 then another big repair bill for the water pump/engine rebuild, it'll end up being a money pit.

Last edited:
wow $4800 is a lot of money, not sure if it's worth it, does the CX-9 still drive OK ? I've read some AWD owners didn;t even realize the transfer case was broken and kept driving in FWD mode.....if so I would just keep driving till the wheels fall off and squeeze as much use out of the CX-9 and get your original money's worth, I don't think it's worth putting in another $4800 into it, @ 133,000 miles and a 2008 model year , IMHO, I would worry more about the water pump seal failing soon and coolant getting into the engine. There's a thread about the water pump replacement in the how to section, the water pump seal fails and the coolant leaks into the engine cavity, the engine oil ends up looking like chocolate milk, you should check it out..... last thing you want is to spend $4800 then another big repair bill for the water pump/engine rebuild, it'll end up being a money pit.

Thanks for the info. I have a co-worker whose husband will do the work for $3,300. After looking at the water pump, it makes me nervous to do anything on the car and to just get rid of it. It's been a great car and I haven't had any other issues with it. I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16. Looks like we'll be searching for something else.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the info. I have a co-worker whose husband will do the work for $3,300. After looking at the water pump, it makes me nervous to do anything on the car and to just get rid of it. It's been a great car and I haven't had any other issues with it. I gave it to my daughter when she turned 16. Looks like we'll be searching for something else.

Thanks for your input!

You're welcome, just keep an eye on that coolant level, it's a closed loop system, so there's no reason that coolant level should drop significantly unless there's a leak. It's really a very stupid design from Ford the water pump is internal to the engine and driven by the timing chain.

Google Ford Edge, Flex coolant leak, they all use the same Ford 3.7 v6 engine, all have the same issue, also theres youtube videos.....

Last edited:
Back