Replacing head unit - Do I have all the parts I need?

brianlees

:
CX-5 AWD GT
OK, so I'm looking to replace our Bose head unit in our 2013 CX-5 with a Pioneer SPH-DA120. I know, not the best unit, but it has car play and my wife hates the factory one. I think I have all the parts listed that I need, but I wanted to check with someone else since I haven't replaced a head unit in 25+ years! (I'm an IT director, so it doesn't scare me as long as I have good instructions)

• Head Unit
  • Metra 95-7522B Dash Kit for the opening
  • PAC RP4-MZ11 wiring interface which gives me steering wheel controls and the amplifier that already exists
  • Metra 40-HD10 antenna adapter
  • Metra AX-MAZUSB USB Adapter to use the factory USB connection
  • Metra AX-MAZCAM harness to connect the factory camera
  • Metra AX-CAM6V to convert the power to 6v for the factory camera

Thanks to silvercoat for posting the bit about the camera adapters (link)

At this point, the only two things I can't use are the factory GPS antenna or the factory hands-free microphone. Am I missing anything? Is there any way to use those other two factory components?

In other news - how hard will it be to do this? Is it hard to get the dash apart? I'm not as worried about the wiring (since I have harnesses for that which seems like it will make it straightforward).

I have routed the new microphone, from the radio, down toward the steering wheel column, toward the door seal. I have pushed the wire behind the door seal, all the way up. Then I have removed the sunglass holder console and fished the wire, through the ceiling. Stuck the microphone, with some glue in the original microphone's place. There is a perforated area, in that console.

Here are images of Mine with the Maestro installed...

Note, Head unit replaced, the sound quality is exponentially better, Speakers have not been changed yet, Amps not yet installed... Note#2 working with Maestro to get the "Voice/Siri" button working correctly... The Maestro system also allows programming of secondary functions on each button....

Last edited:
OK, so I'm looking to replace our Bose head unit in our 2013 CX-5 with a Pioneer SPH-DA120. I know, not the best unit, but it has car play and my wife hates the factory one. I think I have all the parts listed that I need, but I wanted to check with someone else since I haven't replaced a head unit in 25+ years! (I'm an IT director, so it doesn't scare me as long as I have good instructions)

• Head Unit
  • Metra 95-7522B Dash Kit for the opening
  • PAC RP4-MZ11 wiring interface which gives me steering wheel controls and the amplifier that already exists
  • Metra 40-HD10 antenna adapter
  • Metra AX-MAZUSB USB Adapter to use the factory USB connection
  • Metra AX-MAZCAM harness to connect the factory camera
  • Metra AX-CAM6V to convert the power to 6v for the factory camera

Thanks to silvercoat for posting the bit about the camera adapters (link)

At this point, the only two things I can't use are the factory GPS antenna or the factory hands-free microphone. Am I missing anything? Is there any way to use those other two factory components?

In other news - how hard will it be to do this? Is it hard to get the dash apart? I'm not as worried about the wiring (since I have harnesses for that which seems like it will make it straightforward).

Hi OP! I was planning on doing the same thing (replacing my 2013 Head Unit with an aftermarket Pioneer one). Do you have instructions or a video on how to go about this? Or would you be willing to do a video or a write up when you do this yourself?

You should buy the wire harness, that will connect from the Mazda connector to the Pioneer headunit. It should be soldered together and heat shrinking tubes should be used, for sealing the soldered joints, for best results. The radio should be plug and play with this harness. If do you have camera, then you would need a 12V to 6V DC-DC converter. Mazda camera, works with a 6V power supply and aftermarket cameras use 12V.
You will need a Honda antenna adapter as well, to connect your radio antenna.
Do you have steering wheel buttons?

As your post is relevant thanks for NOT starting a new thread. :D

Just a simple question here, where do I find the backup camera video feed in the car's side, which connector?

Car: 2013 Mazda 6

Back