Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Thread: Mushy brake pedal

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5, 2.0 Manual Transmission

Mushy brake pedal

A friend has a 2006 mazda 5. He was driving and hit a dip in the road. Now the brake pedal is very mushy. The pedal sinks almost like a bad master cylinder. But still stops just over halfway down. He says he now hears a hissing sound when pressing the brakes. I think that is just the vacuum for the power brakes. And he now hears its because the pedal moves so far.
    My plan is to flush out the brake fluid.
    If that does not help and I dont see anything else wrong, I can change out the master cylinder.

Anybody else have this issue, or suggestions on this? If it comes down to a new master cylinder I can get OEM for about $205. Or Reybestos much cheaper.

Master cylinders are one of the weaker parts on these. I have read about a few all-at-once failures.
    06 Mazda5 Touring 5MT
    04 Volvo V70 T5 MT
    00 Odyssey EX
    93 Subaru Legacy L (replaced by Mazda5)
    90 CRX 5MT (Happy Trails)
    90 T-Bird SC 5MT (RIP)
    84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z clone (RIP)
    68 Plymouth Barracuda notchback Slant Six (RIP)

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

Quote Originally Posted by timberstx View Post
    If it comes down to a new master cylinder I can get OEM for about $205. Or Reybestos much cheaper.
    It seems like you can get the part cheaper online http://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda__/...wd=&origin=pla I think this is the cylinder & reservoir - but you should double check.

'08 MZ5 5-speed TOURING, '01 740i Sport, '91 318iS

I just posted on a previous clutch bleeding thread. The Motive pressure bleeder that I have for my BMWs is a perfect fit on our '08 MZ5 brake/clutch fluid reservoir. If you can get your hands on one of these, bleeding is an easy one-person job.
    DrewZ
    '08 MZ5 5-speed TOURING!
    ------------3-----------------------5------------------7-------------

Registered Member

I had the exact problem on the 5 that I just traded for. Spent countless time bleeding brakes, checking for leaks, and even replaced the master cylinder. All to no avail. Then yesterday I picked up a used ABS pump from the local salvage yard for $75. Fixed! I guess if you were looking to properly diagnose you could get plugs for the master cylinder and then move down the line and get plugs for the ABS in order to isolate the problem. I had a hard time finding the plugs at any hardware store because the thread size is rare (M12x1.0).

Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. I will try the bleeding, but maybe hold off on the master cylinder, and look into the abs pump. Just seems if it was the master cylinder, the pedal would keep going to the floor.

edit.
    after some research, looks like the ABS will cause this with a stuck valve. Some have suggested a few panic stops might unstick it.
    Bsedgal, did your abs light come on? because it is off on this vehicle?
    Last edited by timberstx; 01-18-2017 at 07:15 PM.

Registered Member

Mushy brake pedal

My ABS light did not ever come on and ABS would activate normally when skidding on slick roads. I did try a few panic stops but didn't help. The ABS pump was really only supplying good pressure to one wheel. You can test pressure by having someone pump and hold the pedal down while you crack the bleeders. See how far fluid squirts out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

So if I am testing for pressure from the ABS pump to each wheel. Is that done with the car running?

Registered Member

In my case I had a soft pedal even with the key off so that's how I tested it.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Scratch that. Yes you should have the engine running. Sorry after so many hours of troubleshooting that stupid problem some of it blurs together.

Registered Member

So to be sure, This is the part I am looking at. I'm in San Antonio now. Looks like the wrecking yards want about $150.

http://www.newautoparts.com/mazda/5/...s-control-unit

I just checked LKQ in Austin, They have a couple Mazda5 in their inventory that look real clean in the pic. Is there a way to tell a bad ABS unit from a good one, when I remove it from the car?
    Last edited by timberstx; 01-20-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Registered Member

Have you ruled out the master cylinder? $150 seems more accurate. I'm by Dallas and must have got a pretty good deal.

Registered Member

I have not ruled it out. By what it is doing it seems unlikely. The guy that owns the car works a lot and its hard to get the car to my place to start on it. After telling him what I found out. He said when he hit the dip, he did apply the brakes and the ABS kicked in. Then immediately had the mushy brake. Apparently it was a good sized dip, and he scrapped the bottom somewhere. So when he came out of the dip I think he may have flown a little up and with the brakes applied with no traction at all, I dont know what happened.
    So I first plan is to flush out all the brake fluid, and see if any wheel is not getting pressure.
    Then try a few panic stops and see if that unsticks anything.
    By the comments here and the research i have done the list in order looks like this.
    1. ABS unit
    2. Maybe he introduced air into the system when he went flying ( never heard of it, but who knows )
    3. Master cylinder.
    I will keep this thread updated when I get to see the car again.
    Last edited by timberstx; 01-21-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Registered Member

Sounds good let us know what happens

2012 Mazda5 Sport 6-speed

Having same issue - update?

Quote Originally Posted by bsedgal View Post
    Sounds good let us know what happens
    Just had a similar thing happen on our 2012 Mazda 5 Sport. Heading to stealership on Monday. Suspect the master cylinder but would like as much info as possible going into it.

JMJ