New engine coming for 2018

Camless engines rock. I miss mine. Very linear power delivery, and very flat torque curve that persists into the upper rpm band very well.
Stock_dyno.jpg

interesting... apparently fuel efficiency will also increase by 30% with this new spark plug-free tech. it will basically be a gasoline engine that operates like a diesel.

but will it be reliable?

interesting... apparently fuel efficiency will also increase by 30% with this new spark plug-free tech. it will basically be a gasoline engine that operates like a diesel.

but will it be reliable?

Only time will tell

I love my CX5 and my previous CX7. Mazda is a small innovative car company. A premature offering where the product is not fully tested could be catastrophic and lead to their demise. Ed

Last edited:
I love my CX5 and my previous CX7. Mazda is a small innovative car company. A premature offering where the product is not fully tested could be catastrophic and lead to their demise. Ed

I think what they have done is to build in a safe fail system where the sparkplugs are still there and will be used in most situations.

If they haven't got it right by it's release, I doubt they would release such an engine

No kidding, I wouldn't want to be a beta tester for that. They need to start developing some kind of hybrid/electric vehicle already.

No kidding, I wouldn't want to be a beta tester for that. They need to start developing some kind of hybrid/electric vehicle already.

There is already a hybrid 3 sold in Japan. It uses Toyota tech. Their partnership with Toyota will cement future use. No doubt Toyota will be getting the HCCI also.

If they haven't got it right by it's release, I doubt they would release such an engine

Exactly, which is why it will be sampled in the 2018-2019 Mazda3 before going mainstream, which is the same thing they did with the first skyactiv motor. It was released as an optional motor for the US market "public beta testing" in the 2011-2013 Mazda3 for 2 years before it was placed into the very first skyactiv chassis, with the all new skyactiv transmission in the all new Gen 1 MAZDA CX-5.

Last edited:
Exactly, which is why it will be sampled in the 2018-2019 Mazda3 before going mainstream, which is the same thing they did with the first skyactiv motor. It was released as an optional motor for the US market "public beta testing" in the 2011-2013 Mazda3 for 2 years before it was placed into the very first skyactiv chassis, with the all new skyactiv transmission in the all new Gen 1 MAZDA CX-5.

Bingo!

Back