New engine coming for 2018

But they have fuel-wash issues at 13:1...well, I won't be an early adopter, that's for sure!

smart choice.

Has Mazda officially said anything at all about Skyactiv 2?
Is it just me or does it seem like all these article popping are just rehashing the same old info for clickbait?

This motortrend article from 3 years ago at least mentions a source and actually has more details than anything that I've seen from this year..
http://www.motortrend.com/news/mazda-skyactiv-2-engines-to-feature-hcci-tech-debut-by-2020/

But they have fuel-wash issues at 13:1...well, I won't be an early adopter, that's for sure!

Same here. I know sources claim that Mazda had built and tested the 18:1 compression engine for some time now but nothing compares to real world driving experience.

Not Mazda but some interesting reads on some domestic HCCI tech

http://www.motortrend.com/news/four...-compression-ignition-gas-engine-technologue/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabue...ode-on-50-efficient-hcci-engine/#34660a22a959

http://nautilusengineering.com/nautilus-cycle

Nautilus-Cycle-HCCI-Diagram.png

Interested to see how much this new engine improves fuel efficiency. Most likely won't be an early adopter too.

Seeing worldwide trend now away from diesel in the consumer space this HCCI has me really interested. Sure diesel will be around a long time but if I can get the best of both worlds...economy/price and torque/power with the HCCI I think I would go that direction.

I know electric cars are the likely future but where do you see fuel prices in the decades ahead? Less refined fuel so prices higher? or glut of too much refined gasoline/petrol and low prices? Peak oil has been called many times but it seems they always find a new oil field somewhere.

Seeing worldwide trend now away from diesel in the consumer space this HCCI has me really interested. Sure diesel will be around a long time but if I can get the best of both worlds...economy/price and torque/power with the HCCI I think I would go that direction.

I know electric cars are the likely future but where do you see fuel prices in the decades ahead? Less refined fuel so prices higher? or glut of too much refined gasoline/petrol and low prices? Peak oil has been called many times but it seems they always find a new oil field somewhere.

A better question is...are you actually thinking about saving money?

If your vehicle averages 15mpg, and you drive 20k miles a year, you spend 3,333 dollars on fuel a year at 2.50 a gallon. If it averages 30mpg, you spend half that. That's 1500 bucks savings a year. However, if the vehicle lasts 7 instead of 10 years, or if maintenance is higher and expensive parts fail, piss on those savings. And how much do you spend on a note vs. your paid off 15mpg Chevy 1998 Silverado? So many people buying new $25k vehicles to save $1500/year over a paid off reliable vehicle. It's stupid. If you like the car, buy it, but the money saving angle...and even environmental angle is just dumb. You pollute a lot more to make a new vehicle than you do to not get rid of, and instead keep, an old less refined one.

Not so much about the money... actually more about fuel availability 10-20 years out. IMO: Gasoline/petrol stands a better chance of outlasting diesel on that front. Big rigs will probably be some hybrid/natural gas combo.

A better question is...are you actually thinking about saving money?

If your vehicle averages 15mpg, and you drive 20k miles a year, you spend 3,333 dollars on fuel a year at 2.50 a gallon. If it averages 30mpg, you spend half that. That's 1500 bucks savings a year. However, if the vehicle lasts 7 instead of 10 years, or if maintenance is higher and expensive parts fail, piss on those savings. And how much do you spend on a note vs. your paid off 15mpg Chevy 1998 Silverado? So many people buying new $25k vehicles to save $1500/year over a paid off reliable vehicle. It's stupid. If you like the car, buy it, but the money saving angle...and even environmental angle is just dumb. You pollute a lot more to make a new vehicle than you do to not get rid of, and instead keep, an old less refined one.

Details on the new HCCI engine will be revealed soon and will initially appear in the 2018 (probably USA model year 2019) Mazda 3 followed by the other models including the CX-5:

Revolutionary 2018 Mazda3 engine, design details soon

"The new Mazda3 will leapfrog a rebodied, HCCI-equipped Mazda6 into production because of its importance as Mazdas global top-seller. Expect the new Mazda 6 to echo the strategy.

The process will then be repeated with replacements for the Mazda2 (launched in October 2014), CX-3 (March 2015), MX-5 (August 2015) and CX-9 (July 2016), before the first truly all-new seventh-generation Mazda model, likely to be the MkIII CX-5, appears around 2022."

So if I have read the article correctly, maybe a while to go before this engine appears in the CX-5 [Happy to be corrected if I read it wrong :)]

A smaller teaser in the article for those wanting high performance Mazdas (called MPS here in OZ land but Mazdaspeed in the USA and other places:

"As part of the post-2020 renewal of its entire model line-up, theres the possibility Mazda will introduce a full range of MPS performance models based around an HCCI-equipped version of the CX-9s 2.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This hot-shoe line-up will almost certainly including an MPS-variant of the CX-5"

Mazda would better develop pure EV propulsion because in few years it will be no more.

There is some hope: https://electrek.co/2017/08/04/mazda-toyota-joint-venture-electric-vehicles/

No need for 50:1 compression ICE engines and wasted R&D time and money.

Until they solve the problem of range/energy density and fast recharging, ICE isn't going anywhere. And those are hard problems to solve - hard natural physics issues, can't just engineer your way around it.

Then you have the problem of supply and infrastructure. It takes years, sometimes a decade or two, to build out new power plants and all the new lines, upgraded substations etc that will be needed.

Back