check engine light

:
mazda5 GT 2009
My mazda 5 2009 gt with 85k miles check engine light turned on when i started car this morning. I havent had it scanned but wanted to know some possible common problems considering the car's age and mileage? Thanks.

Gas cap not on, or not tight.

If the car is running good, that is always my #1 check until I have an actual code.

My mazda 5 2009 gt with 85k miles check engine light turned on when i started car this morning. I havent had it scanned but wanted to know some possible common problems considering the car's age and mileage? Thanks.

A bit hard to guess... getting the code should be easy if you have AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts stores close by -- they scan for free.

I got an CEL on my other car last year. It is a 2009 with 90K miles now so similar age and mileage to your 5. The issue was a failed rear oxygen sensor. Seems kind of early but it is what it is...

A bit hard to guess... getting the code should be easy if you have AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts stores close by -- they scan for free.

IDK if it was the county or a CA thing (I'm betting its the whole state) but only actual shops could read my CEL codes where I was at. It was the law. Kinda sucks for the OP, but its prob either pay for a diagnostic or buy his own code reader.

IDK if it was the county or a CA thing (I'm betting its the whole state) but only actual shops could read my CEL codes where I was at. It was the law. Kinda sucks for the OP, but its prob either pay for a diagnostic or buy his own code reader.

Oh ok. I didn't have to deal with CEL's when I lived near LA. But in several other states I've had no issues just going to parts stores until I got my own tools...

Just an update. I was able to borrow a scanner and the code is P0101 (mass or vol. Flow A circuit range/ performance). What usually needs to replaced when this code comes up? Thanks

Most likely just a dirty MAFS, get some CRC mafs cleaner and clean the MAFS, clear the CEL code with your scanner and see if the CEL comes back.

An extremely dirty engine air filter can also cause the code, when was the air filter changed last? Take a look at your air filter first, unless it was changed recently.

Youtube video on how to remove/replace the MAFS, but like I said try cleaning it before buying a new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ripjP_ABXdE

The most common causes of the code P0101 are:
- Dirty, obstructed or faulty mass air flow sensor (MAF)
- Cracked, ripped or disconnected intake boot (snorkel)
- Vacuum leaks (from stuck open PCV valve, leaking intake gaskets, etc.)
- Clogged up or improperly installed air filter
- The mass air flow sensor element contaminated by excess oil from an oil-soaked air filter
- Clogged-up catalytic converter or restricted exhaust
Other possible causes include:
- Dirty throttle body
- Bad or dirty manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP)
- Electrical problems with the MAF sensor connector or wiring
- Stuck open EGR valve
- Incorrect valve timing
- faulty engine computer (ECM)

Last edited:
Sounds like the mass airflow sensor. Remove it and spray some mass airflow sensor cleaner (nothing else) on the element that protrudes down into the air stream and reinstall. Clean the intake and check for vacuum leaks while you're at it. Reset the computer by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together for a few seconds then reconnect.

If the code comes back, it could be a bad MAF sensor or a number of other things.

rsvinylgraphics beat me.

Last edited:
Update: Replaced engine air filter w/c was overdue but not particularly dirty. The CEL has not appeared in 3 days. I am hoping it will not turn on again. Do I need to erase the code manually or will it reset on its own? Thanks!

I'd be surprised if a somewhat dirty filter would solely cause a CEL. Assuming you cleared the light manually, I expect it to come back on. If it stays off, then something else might be on the verge of failing and a dirty filter might be making just enough difference for the computer to wave a flag.

Update: As predicted by Tawrus CEL is on again after 8 months since I replaced engine air filter. I havent scanned for codes but assuming its the same code as the last time and the MAF sensor is the problem I went ahead and looked at prices of MAF sensors. Has anyone used Denso MAF sensors? How good are they on the 5? Tehy have good reviews on amazon and much cheaper than OEM ofcourse.

Last edited:
Back