Mustard, the yellow P5

Stowedyco

:
2003 P5
Good afternoon everyone, Im Cody, and i now own a 2003 yellow P5. I am a dominos driver and i figured this would be a good delivery vehicle, so i bought one for a very cheap price. Obviously in doing so, there are always repairs that you need to do. I cant seem to get my radio, or interior lights to come on, and ive searched for it with no definitive answer. Also my 12v doesnt work either, and ive triple checked all of my fuses, even replaced the room fuse just in case.

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Tapatalk

I remember somebody years ago had something similar happen... It was his TNS relay.

Sweet, imma try swapping out the horn relay when i get home to see if thats it

No go, swapped the horn one out, and no result. This is stumping me, cause i know the interior lights worked until i started messing with the massive hole that a radio was in. tried plugging up an old cd player i had laying around. could i have shorted something in the electrical system in order for no cargo light, no interior lights, no radio, and no ignition keyhole light?

A shorted wire should blow a fuse.

Try looking in the radio hole for a wire that's disconnected. Everything the previous owner played with.

He may have spliced into a wire then just twisted it back together and taped it.

Check every connection that looks taped.

Yea....so...i feel stupid. It was a blown fuse. I swear, i triple checked all my fuses, but last night i just so happen to get frustrated and look again, and i noticed that the room fuse was blown, swapped it out, and presto!!!

Yea....so...i feel stupid. It was a blown fuse. I swear, i triple checked all my fuses, but last night i just so happen to get frustrated and look again, and i noticed that the room fuse was blown, swapped it out, and presto!!!

Awesome, easy fix, sometimes they elude as a little at first.

Now a new problem arose...seems our cars hate our egr valves...is it necessary, and does it hurt anything if i leave it? Where i live there is no emissions, so is this a big problem?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Now a new problem arose...seems our cars hate our egr valves...is it necessary, and does it hurt anything if i leave it? Where i live there is no emissions, so is this a big problem?

Yours is acting up? It'll make the car stall out and drive crappy.

Well the cel popped on with the code, i cleared it, hasnt come on since. No stalling or running crappy here. I figured id take it apart and clean it on Tuesday, along with replacing my annoying screeching alternator belt and put on my obx lightweight pulley. Installed my short shifter yesterday, and i know ive only had this car for 2 weeks, but i know it FEELS faster than it did with the regular shifter although no hp is gained obviously.

My questions now are, is there anything i can do to increase some hp, and more tq, giving better acceleration, and what type of suspension should i go with, as i am a dominos driver?

If you tighten the belt the screeching will go away. There are lots of things you can do to make more power; intake, header, larger exhaust, solid motor mounts or mount inserts. If it is a 5 speed you can get an MP3 ecu or have your stock ECU flashed to the MP3 tune. You can get a lighter flywheel, an LSD, lighter rims and better tires, FSZE intake and corksport exhaust cams, adjustable cam gears, etc. Even with all these mods the car won't be extremely fast, but it will be a lot faster than stock. As far as suspension you can get coilovers or just upgrade to tokico struts and some lowering springs. Tein S tech springs are my personal favorite but Eibachs or others will work fine as well. You can upgrade to Racing Beat swaybars for relatively cheap.

I have actually tightened the belt 3 different times already, and since i dont know the previous owner, i just bought another one. Might as well start fresh. Did the same with the ngk plugs and oil change. Im not looking for a killer street beast, as i wouldnt have picked the p5. Im just looking for some more pep for deliveries. I have read the stickys on mods to the p5 and such. Its been awhile since i have been in an older car, having a 2015 dart with custom center exit exhaust, muffler delete, ecu tune, lightweight pully, cai and various exterior and interior mods. I got so many compliments on it, i figured id get a new blank canvas and start again, hence here i am:)

Did you tighten both belts to be sure it isn't the PS belt? And you are tightening the lock bolt on the back of the alt?

Yes to both, although i know its the alt belt because it only squeals when its under heavy load , but not all the time. Kinda annoying having to turn the heat down everytime i roll to a stop sign just to prevent the squeal lol

Hmm, turning down the heat on the climate control makes the squeal go away? That doesn't make any sense, the bearings in the alternator may be failing. Or it could be the bearings in the water pump.

Yes to both, although i know its the alt belt because it only squeals when its under heavy load , but not all the time. Kinda annoying having to turn the heat down everytime i roll to a stop sign just to prevent the squeal lol

I have a similar issue. Yet for me, turning off the fan is what stops the squeal. Heat or A/C, doesnt matter.

Hmm, turning down the heat on the climate control makes the squeal go away? That doesn't make any sense, the bearings in the alternator may be failing. Or it could be the bearings in the water pump.
Can't remember, does our a/c automatically kick in while the fan runs when in defrost mode? That's the only way I could see how turning the heat down could effect belt load.

Let me rephrase, not when i turn the heat down, but the fan down, i usually have it on 1 to prevent it from squealing. Its definitely the belt as i rev it when it squeals, goes under 1k rpm catches itself, and stops.

Back