Automatic Transmission Fluid Check

ctbale

Contributor
:
2022 CX9 Tourin
Going to the dealer to address a vibration issue tomorrow. I had the car up on ramps with the lower engine plastic splash shield off just trying to find something obvious. I went to check the tranny fluid from the top, pulled the air box, and pulled the 6mm (10mm socket) dip stick retaining bolt, pulled the stick and it was way over the safe zone. procedure not in the owners manual, but the shop manual says get the tranny hot and check it while its running. I left the IAT sensor in the upper box, but the engine would not ide, and even with cracking the throttle the engine was not happy. Service manual didnt address hooking up anyting to trick the engine into thinking everything was hooked up to check tranny fluid level.

Any one here ever tried to check the tranny fluid and run into the same issue?

2016.5 touring btw

You checked it with the car on ramps? I'm guessing the car wasn't level....

You checked it with the car on ramps? I'm guessing the car wasn't level....

yea, front two wheels on ramps, rear end on jack stands, thanks though. (wedge)

tough to get that 6mm bolt out with the air box in there, so going to get her hot, pull the airbox, pull the bolt, put back in the box so it will idle, then I can JUST get my arm on the plastic dip stick as it sits there idling, but gotta watch those fans!! lol box takes about a minute to R&R

Unless some one else wants to chime in with a better method? Usually I dont worry about fluid levels if I know they are good, and no oil spot on the garage floor, no need to worry. But also not a bad idea to check them at least once shortly after purchase

I really haven't seen a good, easy method to check this fluid, except maybe go check it underneath with the engine running and everything hooked up on top so it runs smooth.

I am gunna get my fingers on that stick, gunna be a little tight but its do-able. at first I was pissed about the 6mm bolt, my honda element has a tranny stick with a rubber plug. But its piece of mind that the stick wont come out, trannys are expensive after your warranty runs out! And maybe the tranny builds some pressure who knows. I am sure there is a low fluid light to save your arse also

Back