2013 CX-5 Sport Backup Camera

ZoomZoomFan

:
2016 Mazda6 i Touring
Hello!

My wife and I have a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD. We bought it in November 2012 and it has been (and still is) a great vehicle. We are expecting our first child very soon, and I would like to see about having a backup camera installed in the CX-5. It has the optional Bluetooth radio that supports the camera. The equipment just isn't there since it is a base model. The only options our CX-5 is spec'ed with are the Bluetooth radio, roof rails, and the automatic transmission.

I'd feel better with a backup camera for when our son becomes a toddler. Just in case. I have heard horror stories of parents accidentally backing over children because they weren't able to see them behind the car. My car, a 2016 Mazda6, has a reverse camera and it has come in handy many times.

Is there a way to source the OEM backup camera equipment and have it installed? Or are there sensible aftermarket solutions that hook into the factory radio? Just looking for some advice.

I tried searching the forums and didn't find much.

Thank you in advance.

I'm sure you could buy 2015 parts (radio, etc) and pull wiring, if it's not already there. It would be more affordable from a junk yard.

What did people do before backup cameras?

Last edited:
I'm sure you could buy 2015 parts (radio, etc) and pull wiring, if it's not already there. To would be more affordable from a junk yard.

What did people do before backup cameras?

The CX-5 has huge blind spots, the camera makes it much easier, and as the OP says, safer with a child that may not be visible behind the tailgate.

Compare pricing of oem with aftermarket headunits with backup camera. You might as well upgrade your infotainment system if its the same price. Or you could get an aftermarket backup cam with the screen in the rear view mirror too.

This mirror has forward and rear camera, a recorder, a reverse parking system (those grid lines when reversing), ect. All for under $90.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Original camera is a 6V camera, not compatible with aftermarket radios. You would need a step down converter. Just putting it out there.

Last edited:
Back