Beam Axle Pivot Bush replacement - DE

MUZZA

:
2014 MAZDA CX-5 Maxx Sport 2.5Ltr AWD + 2008 MAZDA 2 DE GENKI
Has anyone needed to replace this bush??

I'm trying to rid my 2 of suspension noises by replacing the bushes one at a time.
The vehicle has travelled 142k Klms and is an early 2008 model.

The suspension has been lowered using Pedders springs and shocks.
Am thinking the noises have appeared since lowering the vehicle and are purely the result of the age and Klms the vehicle has travelled.

Is it possible there's just some dust/dirt/rust where the pivot moves in the bushing? My 2 is 5 years newer so this is not an issue for me, but my beat-old subaru's had a number of noises that were fixed with a cleanup of the item/bushing and some new lubricant.

Is it possible there's just some dust/dirt/rust where the pivot moves in the bushing? My 2 is 5 years newer so this is not an issue for me, but my beat-old subaru's had a number of noises that were fixed with a cleanup of the item/bushing and some new lubricant.

Thanks deadlydave, the noises Im currently experiencing is more of a loose sound over high frequency bumps (like braking bumps in the road surface, for example.)
I will have a look at any signs of visible dirty build up through and see if I can clean it out this weekend.

I have ordered some new rear shock top mounts to eliminate those from the equation. After all, replacing these would be cheaper that the pivot bush.
If the noise is still there after new mounts, then the remaining bush would be the pivot bush.

What do you use to clean out the bush?

Loosen the bolts for the beam to chassis while the car is on the ground at ride height then retorque them to spec. If they were torqued while the car was in the air and suspension drooping(or if you lowered the car and never loosened/retorqued them), then the bushings are going to be preloaded with some twist while driving around at all times.

FWIW I have a 2011 with similar mileage(90k miles... so actually more than you), and it's been autocrossed for several years(killed 4 sets of tires), along with a track day, and those bushings are still just fine. I highly doubt they are the source of your noise.

What you describe sounds like bad shocks(internally piston stack is fluttering around). Try putting some known good ones on it.

Loosen the bolts for the beam to chassis while the car is on the ground at ride height then retorque them to spec. If they were torqued while the car was in the air and suspension drooping(or if you lowered the car and never loosened/retorqued them), then the bushings are going to be preloaded with some twist while driving around at all times.

FWIW I have a 2011 with similar mileage(90k miles... so actually more than you), and it's been autocrossed for several years(killed 4 sets of tires), along with a track day, and those bushings are still just fine. I highly doubt they are the source of your noise.

What you describe sounds like bad shocks(internally piston stack is fluttering around). Try putting some known good ones on it.

Thanks flatlander937,

Would you think it matters if the vehicle has travelled almost 10k klms with that pivot bush possibly preloaded? I know exactly what you mean by loosening the bushes when lowering and retightening to new ride height, actually I am surprised I didn't think to try this.

Also, all shocks are new, almost 10k klms old. Still under warranty. Would you honestly think the shocks could have failed already?

Last edited:
Thanks flatlander937,

Would you think it matters if the vehicle has travelled almost 10k klms with that pivot bush possibly preloaded? I know exactly what you mean by loosening the bushes when lowering and retightening to new ride height, actually I am surprised I didn't think to try this.

Also, all shocks are new, almost 10k klms old. Still under warranty. Would you honestly think the shocks could have failed already?

If they're aftermarket, it's entirely possible they're garbage. I see that kind of stuff happen all the time. Without seeing/hearing it myself, it's hard to say with any real certainty, but the type of noise you describe wouldn't happen from a beam bushing. If you can put the car in the air, suspension drooping, and using a prybar can't easily push the whole beam left or right to hit the chassis, and the bushings aren't physically separating(some tiny micro cracks will probably be present but they're fine), I wouldn't mess with them.

Probably didn't do any "damage" if they weren't loosened and retorqued... people do this all the time without knowing about it.

FWIW I've never heard of the Pedder's brand before, but a quick simple search seems they're not that great:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ped...rome..69i57.3604j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Other places to look would be the shock top mounts(remove them and make sure the shock shaft is tightened down to the upper mount), and of course check the bolts on the shock lower mounts too.

If they're aftermarket, it's entirely possible they're garbage. I see that kind of stuff happen all the time. Without seeing/hearing it myself, it's hard to say with any real certainty, but the type of noise you describe wouldn't happen from a beam bushing. If you can put the car in the air, suspension drooping, and using a prybar can't easily push the whole beam left or right to hit the chassis, and the bushings aren't physically separating(some tiny micro cracks will probably be present but they're fine), I wouldn't mess with them.

Probably didn't do any "damage" if they weren't loosened and retorqued... people do this all the time without knowing about it.

FWIW I've never heard of the Pedder's brand before, but a quick simple search seems they're not that great:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ped...rome..69i57.3604j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Other places to look would be the shock top mounts(remove them and make sure the shock shaft is tightened down to the upper mount), and of course check the bolts on the shock lower mounts too.

Ok, thanks again.
I will book the vehicle in for a second opinion and inspection on the rear.
New rear top mounts have arrived so will install those prior to double check these aren't the issue and retorque the beam axel bush correctly.

From memory, last time I had someone inspect the pivot bush they did try move the beam axel at the point of the bush with a pry bar and it did move laterally.
They did pass comment, that it looks a little soft.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Muz

Ok I have an update:
Both rear shock upper mounts have been replaced and early feedback is that these have cured the noise. The only remaining noise is the coil slap/coil binding both front and rear. Am thinking some Tein rubber coil silencers should take car of this.

Anyone have any experience with these?

If you're experiencing anything up front, then you probably have strut mount bearings failing(you'll hear when turning the wheel left and right).

In the back, sometimes you need to just play around with twisting the coil in a different position. Most decent brands have the lower few coils wrapped in a plastic/rubber coating to minimize noise against the lower spring seat. Make sure you have the plastic lower spring seat isolators still, they're gray little things that snap into place on the lower spring seat. Make sure there's no rocks and crap under them or between them and the coil. You'll probably have to disconnect the shocks(lowers are easier, single 17mm bolt) to droop the beam low enough to all the spring to unseat to inspect everything.

If you're experiencing anything up front, then you probably have strut mount bearings failing(you'll hear when turning the wheel left and right).

In the back, sometimes you need to just play around with twisting the coil in a different position. Most decent brands have the lower few coils wrapped in a plastic/rubber coating to minimize noise against the lower spring seat. Make sure you have the plastic lower spring seat isolators still, they're gray little things that snap into place on the lower spring seat. Make sure there's no rocks and crap under them or between them and the coil. You'll probably have to disconnect the shocks(lowers are easier, single 17mm bolt) to droop the beam low enough to all the spring to unseat to inspect everything.

Thanks Flatlander937,

The front shock top mounts have recently been replaced with SACHS items. They did alot to eliminate the noises up front.
The only remaining suspension component to be replaced is the beam axel pivot bush.

I recently jacked the front of the vehicle up to visually inspect the front coils and noticed signs of coil slap.
Some of the red powdercoating has worn off slightly. Am thinking of fitting some TEIN rubber coil silencers to each spring.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the rear seats and isolators. But thanks for the heads up on twisting the rear springs to find their sweet spot.
My only concern is the top rubber isolators. There is a small vertical plug which inserts through a small hole in the bodywork. If I rotate the spring, then the impression in the rubber isolator from the OE coil doesn't align to the new lowered spring tops and that small vertical plug doesn't allow the rubber isolator to rotate with the spring unless I snip the plug off.

Anyone else had this issue?

Last edited:
Back