Squeaking on breaks 2016 CX-9 Touring

luckydwg

:
Mazda, CX-9 2016 Touring
I have been hearing a on and off again squeaking on my brakes. Obvously never happens when I am at the dealer but I have 13,000 miles on the new CX-9. Anyone have any ideas or seeing this problem ?

Last edited:
Squeaking brakes are usually caused by the pad vibrating at a high frequency in the caliper, steel pad backing plate against the iron caliper. This can be fixed by cleaning any deposited pad material off the rotor (too thin to see, but it's there), cleaning with solvent and sandpaper or abrasive scrubber. The metal-to-metal parts of the pad & caliper can get a drop of suitable lube, and there are rubber damping products to apply to the back of the pad. Often stainless steel anti-squeal shims for the backs of the pads are part of the assembly.

So...ask for a warranty repair. At 13k, this should not be brake pads worn down to the the built-in squealers unless there is a defective brake part...or if you unknowingly drive with your other foot resting on the brake pedal.

Squeaking brakes are usually caused by the pad vibrating at a high frequency in the caliper, steel pad backing plate against the iron caliper. This can be fixed by cleaning any deposited pad material off the rotor (too thin to see, but it's there), cleaning with solvent and sandpaper or abrasive scrubber. The metal-to-metal parts of the pad & caliper can get a drop of suitable lube, and there are rubber damping products to apply to the back of the pad. Often stainless steel anti-squeal shims for the backs of the pads are part of the assembly.

So...ask for a warranty repair. At 13k, this should not be brake pads worn down to the the built-in squealers unless there is a defective brake part...or if you unknowingly drive with your other foot resting on the brake pedal.

Thanks. Definitely not a two footed driver hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is it cold where you live? My 2016 makes a horrible squeal with light pressure when it's very cold

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lol no not at all I live in San Diego it's been cooler lows of 40 but I wouldn't say cold

Brakes are not a strong suit for the CX-9. I have scoured the internets for a big brake conversion kit. I would pay handsomely if only someone made one. Have only seen one in the UK hand crafted but not available for sale. I've read some who's brakes turn to crap even by 12,000 miles on their CX-9. I put front rotors and pads on at around 35k and now at 94k they are bad again and now will need to do all 4 pads and rotors. I don't know what the deal is. My personal opinion is that the rotors particularly in the front, are just too small, and for the weight of the CX-9 they are not up to the job. Others disagree and that is fine. Just my opinion. And I try never to print at intersections, keeping a light foot and do everything possible to minimize brake issues. Squeal is really bad on cold start in the morning, in reverse. But a light squeak here are there while scooting around town is par for the course because of (in my opinion) how hot the brakes are around town compared to other vehicles with more adequate brakes.

Brought my car in for another issue and they told me the breaks are ceramic and to make them last longer they squeak total bs.

not bs. ceramic is harder than steel albeit more brittle. this is why they tend to squeak. the rotor goes quicker than the pads. with metallic / semi metallic, they eat each other more equally.

So that being said should my breaks be squeaking like a train every time I pull into a parking spot or hit a drive through at 14,000 miles. Seems low end to me. This car is marketed as a premium car not some budget clunker.

not bs. ceramic is harder than steel albeit more brittle. this is why they tend to squeak. the rotor goes quicker than the pads. with metallic / semi metallic, they eat each other more equally.
Although true, Bs that the Mazda has ceramic brakes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Anyone have any suggestions on a fix for this. Different brakes different brake pads ?

Remove and replace your existing pads and use CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the back of the pads (and both sides of any shims) and CRC Brake Caliper Grease on the metal to metal contact points between the parts (spring clips to caliper, clips to pads, pads to caliper etc. Completely solved my problem I've been having since 2008.

" Ceramic friction materials are not new to the industry; early manufacturers used more traditional ceramic processing to fuse oxides together with silicates to create a ceramic body with a ceramic/glass matrix. Today’s “ceramic” pads are more of a composite material with predominately ceramic materials in an organic resin matrix, and they may still include small amounts of metal, such as copper fiber for heat transfer. The ceramic portion can be composed of ceramic powders and fibers for reinforcement, ceramic fillers such as potassium titanate, and ceramic abrasives such as zirconia or alumina.

"Ceramic pads are quieter, produce little dust, have less rotor wear
and offer superior braking performance. However, they are more expensive and are typically used only in premium vehicles or in extreme operating conditions.

"...most brake pad formulations can contain 10-25 individual material components...."

http://www.ceramicindustry.com/articles/92468-ceramics-that-brake-

All rotors on everything except some race vehicles are cast iron.

Please research before misleading people.

There are numerous street vehicles that come with or can be ordered with carbon ceramic rotors.

Don't think he was trying to mislead. While the statement could have been worded better, I think he's just saying that most mass produced vehicles have iron discs or iron discs and iron drums. Btw on a side note, after having used siliconized grease and really paying attention to where to apply, and removing the old grease from the caliper pins, I am squeak free both in reverse and forward on my brake job. Have a few thousand miles and no issues. Siliconized grease turned out to be key for me.

Back