2016 CX-9 cargo capacity question

Does anyone have the measurements for that additional storage compartment where you can remove the floor of the trunk - how much extra depth do you get from this? Also, can you take that cover fully off or is it just something that cab be lifted up and down? Hoping that this extra compartment will allow my bike to squeeze in...

The panel is removable and gets you just over 5 more inches of depth.
Excuse my mess, I keep a blanket, jacket, compressor and umbrellas in there.
92db88c425fc0a8041048bf8cbfad6ec.jpg

0951d90e37df99fe801ecb6b9869acec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I measured my bike today and seems like my measurements are similar to yours - bike is about 5 feet long with the back wheel on (front wheel off) but I would need about 34 inches of height where the seat is and slightly less where the fork is. Even with both the back and front wheel off it seems like it would be a tight fit (if it would even fit at all) - I would still need about 31 inches of height where the fork is.

I really do want to actually try to fit it in - looking at my bike with all the wheels removed it looks quite small to be so its hard to imagine it not fitting in the CX-9. It just seems weird to me.

Let me know if you end up trying to fit yours in. Are there any other vehicles that you are looking at?

I'll let you know if I bring my bike to a dealership, but I'm not planning on buying for another six months or so, so it won't be soon.

I looked at other vehicles including the MB GLE and GLC, Volvo XC90, Acura MDX, Audi Q7. I would be interested in looking at a BMW X5/X3, but I think I would get the Mazda over those. I tend to keep my cars over 10 years, so I would prefer not to own a German car. There is no way a bike can stand up on the MDX, or GLC and it highly doubt I could stand it up on the Q7, or Volvo. Maybe the GLE.

I plan on using the Mazda primarily as a daily driver for 50 miles a day. I might stick my bike inside the cargo area as opposed to on a hitch-mounted bike rack a handful of times a year. I would plan on using the bike rack 90% of the time. In the end the driving dynamics and value of the Mazda trumps the fact that I cannot stand the bike up on a fork mount and have to lay the bike on its side. I am OK with that.

I think you'll be good...depends on your bike probably. Mine is an old Giant 19" frame with 26" wheelset. Your fork will be taller than mine obviously. Mine fits if I stick the fork in between the bottom tray (spare tire cover) and the rear seat. But if this is the only deciding factor between a CX-9 and a Highlander, there is no question to me! The Mazda is just so much better to drive and the interior quality is in a different league. You can always get a bike rack with the extra cash you'll save too! That's what I did. Not to be overly morose, but it's way safer for the kids that way too. Crash tests assume you don't have a bike wedged in 10" from your kids face :)
35dfe900609959ba5e12b5fbee46d55c.jpg
bbf49d4461e25697187e26eb236945fe.jpg
95c92af945144144c7c08afe3a93aaeb.jpg
697dcb0d8707a68c731b63baea05117c.jpg
2f2b6b5e221abaaafcfb89eff06bfc66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh yeah, forgot to mention - this is with the seat post removed / pushed all the way down. Hope this helps.
-Travis

I plan on using the Mazda primarily as a daily driver for 50 miles a day. I might stick my bike inside the cargo area as opposed to on a hitch-mounted bike rack a handful of times a year. I would plan on using the bike rack 90% of the time. In the end the driving dynamics and value of the Mazda trumps the fact that I cannot stand the bike up on a fork mount and have to lay the bike on its side. I am OK with that.

Yeah I think I am in the same boat as you - I'm only going to carry it inside the car a few times a year so having to lay it down isn't a major issue in the grand scheme of things.

oh yeah, forgot to mention - this is with the seat post removed / pushed all the way down. Hope this helps.
-Travis

Thanks for taking those pics Trav! Fits better than I expected. Do you know approx. how much space there is between your rear tire and the roof? Can't quite tell with the lighting but it looks like there is a decent amount of space. Would only need a few more inches for my 29 inch wheels.

No problem! yeah sorry I couldn't get a great pic of that with the dark headliner. It was about 4 or 5 inches. I think you would have enough room for the 29er wheels, but it probably depends on the length of the bike frame from fork to rear hub since the sunroof hump does come down right there.

Thanks for the pics! It looks awesome. It looks like a 29er should be able to fit. I think sticking the fork down into the spare tire area made a big difference.

OP here - finally got my CX-9! Really nice vehicle. Tried fitting my bike in a few different ways and what worked best was taking off both wheels and dropping the fork down in between the 2nd and 3rd row seats... kind of like what TravL350 above did but with the bike facing the other way. I would post a pic but not too sure how to do that... I also tried to do it the same way TravL350 did - it worked but it was tricky getting the tire to fit in there and I kept scraping the roof of the vehicle and getting it dirty, so decided it was easier to take both wheels off. My bike is a fair bit bigger than TravL350's - 29 inch wheels with beefy DH tires, much wider handle bars.

Now I just need to figure out how to secure the bike so that it won't flop around while I'm driving.

Back