New Protege owner

DLighte

:
2002 Protege
Hey guys, I just bought my first car, Its a 2002 Mazda Protege,
The taillight is a little messed up and Im going to need to replace it.
I know this is a bit of a noob-ish question, but hey; not gonna lie, I'm a noob.

I've been looking online for replacements and there are tons that look stock, but not many for the Protege specifically that have a different look.
There are TONS for the Protege 5 though, so just to hash out details, Exactly what parts ( Exterior wise ) for Protege5s will also work for the regular protege?

Last edited:
Most of the aftermarket taillights for proteges are super tacky haha. And as far as exterior parts that switch over. Protege5 side skirts, front bumper, Doors...Pretty sure the fenders and hoods to should fit 01+ proteges

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

Most of the aftermarket taillights for proteges are super tacky haha. And as far as exterior parts that switch over. Protege5 side skirts, front bumper, Doors...Pretty sure the fenders and hoods to should fit 01+ proteges

Sent from my LGLS751 using Tapatalk

The P5 rear doors are different.
Tail lights are a dime a dozen at the junkyard, at least around here they are. I would not recommend aftermarket lights.

So when you say the rear doors are different does that mean that almost everything else ( excluding the truck ) is the same?

And thanks for the info guys, At this point I'm leaning more towards oem replacements..

I am on my third Protege and I have found most of the parts I needed either on ebay, make sure you look at all that are offered before you decide which one to buy. Or, car-part.com, which has all parts listed from all salvage yards in the US and Canada, for small parts. I have bought a couple sets of headlights, side mirrors, engine mounts and other things from ebay. If there is a problem with something you buy there, the seller will usually replace the part with no hassle or credit you. I bought a gas tank that wasn't right and the seller automatically refunded me after I told them what the problem was. I found a used gas tank off another wrecked Protege 30 miles away off car-part.com. Sometimes I google the part I'm looking for and see what all it brings up and compare to see which place is cheaper. I have also bought a few parts from RockAuto.com, they usually have parts that are a little cheaper than most. Good luck!

There are several differences between the P5 and Protege sedan. The body parts are mostly the same, the window frames on the back doors are different, the tail lights and rear bumpers are different. The front bumper, upper and lower grille and headlights are different. The front bumper, grille and headlights can interchange (P5 grille won't fit the sedan bumper and vice-versa).

Back