Opinions needed. We are about to purchase one of the 3 cars and CX5 is #1

Nissan can build an interior. Here is my 2012 370Z:

egr3o4.jpg

Live color weather radar, a proper NAV system with traffic updates and re-routing, and it didn't need my damn cell-phone to play things other than AM/FM, lol! Everything fell easily to the driver's hand, although if you're anti-bulk (and I agree on this following...), the pod gauges could have been incorporated into the dash. A holographic HUD system would have also been nice. That was the one interior feature my Z06 had that I missed when I went to the 370Z. The rest of the Z was a complete step up, even from the 3LZ Z06's (although I had a 1LZ, because THAT was about driving...)

Nissans like the 350/370Z were the exception because they were driver centric. The Z gets my thumbs up.

Yup. Which reiterates my position that the 2.5T engine wouldn't boost CX5 sales. Nissan's wimpy 170 hp engine and boring vehicle is destroying the CX5 in sales. But it has tons of knick-knacks and doo-dad's to make the masses go "oooooooh and ahhhhhhhh".

G Vectoring (as nice as it might be) doesn't mean s*** to the every day driver. But CarPlay, Android Auto, and sadly 3 row seating is what the masses prioritize.

Agree 100%. The dealership and reputation also play a role. People don't know what to make of Mazda. Is it reliable? Is it safe? Those are the questions the masses care about.

Btw, how much was the MSRP for the 2017 Rogue SL you bought (all options), and the sale price?

The new interior of the Rogue is very nice.

2017-Nissan-Rogue-SL-AWD-interior.jpg

Its an improvement over pre 17's however I still like the new CX5's interior better. That said the best in class goes to the 2017 Tiguan imho.

2017-Mazda-CX-5-interior.jpg

2017-Volkswagen-Tiguan-interior.jpg

Btw, how much was the MSRP for the 2017 Rogue SL you bought (all options), and the sale price?

MSRP was around $33,800, and we got it for $29,421 before TTL. Our car was worth 9700, so financed was around $21k.

Its an improvement over pre 17's however I still like the new CX5's interior better. That said the best in class goes to the 2017 Tiguan imho.

2017-Mazda-CX-5-interior.jpg

2017-Volkswagen-Tiguan-interior.jpg

The vents on the new Cx-5 are a huge turnoff. And btw, that's not going to be the new interior of the tiguan. that looks like a concept interior.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/auto-shows/2017-detroit-auto-show-2018-volkswagen-tiguan.html

And i doubt the US version of the tiguan will get the full LCD gauge display. probably going to be a mix of normal gauges with a small LCD screen in the center.

Who says # of sales equates to best quality or even best value? What is the best selling IKEA coffee table? the 19 dollar one, is it the best value - for many folks yes because cheap = value.

I drove a 2016 altima with 4k miles on it, for sale 14,000 USD.
For comparison you can get a 2013 Legacy with 35k miles for 1300 more, a 15 camry with 20k miles for 1900 more - similar trims + Nissan has more bells and whistles.

For e.g. what the OP got for a fresh 2017 in terms of discount - 13% is what you get on an outgoing Mazda model nowadays. When 17 CX5s come in folks are willing to pay sticker or 500 less for them.

So to summarize - I wont own a Nissan for 6 years and to sell sooner is another 1.5k to 2k in depreciation hit.

Rogue may be a good option for your mom, but is far from the best in many respects. I guess for point A to point B is a respectable choice.
I would not have gotten a Nissan because of reliability (Nissan always trailing other Japanese makers) and because it is less powerful, does not handle well and not fun to drive.
I too think the new 2017 CR-V (not the 2016s) would have been a better choice.

The vents on the new Cx-5 are a huge turnoff. And btw, that's not going to be the new interior of the tiguan. that looks like a concept interior.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/auto-shows/2017-detroit-auto-show-2018-volkswagen-tiguan.html

And i doubt the US version of the tiguan will get the full LCD gauge display. probably going to be a mix of normal gauges with a small LCD screen in the center.

Ok found the 2017 Tiguan prototype that C/D test drove. Not sure what the production model looks like as there's a heads up display here. Not sure if its like the one Mazda uses. The button placement of the infotainment control knob is too close to the drive for my taste. Ergonomics were never a VW strong suit for me. I like Mazda's placement better. Mazda's seats tend to feel better for me as well.

2017-Volkswagen-Tiguan-prototype-115-876x535.jpg

Rogue may be a good option for your mom, but is far from the best in many respects. I guess for point A to point B is a respectable choice.
I would not have gotten a Nissan because of reliability (Nissan always trailing other Japanese makers) and because it is less powerful, does not handle well and not fun to drive.

2017 CR-V and 2017 CX-5 would be the front runners of this class for me. If you prioritize room and real world power get the Honda. If you prioritize driving dynamics and sleek design go with the CX-5.

You haven't driven the new rogue. It is fairly fun to drive and handles just like the CX-5 without the punishing ride. I don't expect to push it through an Autox course, so the handling doesn't need to be like that of the CX-5. If it can do an emergency lane change without feeling tipsy, then it works for us. All of the ones we drove except the Mazda and Rogue felt like that. The Rogue feels like it doesn't lean in turns. Also the noisy engine in the CX-5 was something less desired by both of us in a vehicle like that. The Rogue is very quiet. We have had many Nissan's and none of them have been unreliable. The Altima only had a couple of recalls after 41k, but it never had anything go wrong.

Droned!

Another Nissan that is per Consumer Reports, "Bland as toast to drive' and has "another droning CVT."
I've seen a lot of younger women driving the Nissan so the awful CVT must not bother the ladies.
Make sure you do a lengthy test drive as many cannot stand the "motoboarding" effect hard acceleration will produce with a CVT.
Unless the driving experience is not important to you.

Also, owner satisfaction for the rogue as reported by Consumer Reports is poor, while the CX 5 rated good.
Poor driving position and uncomfortable seats led the list of owner complaints for the rogue while road noise and low center vents were negatives on the CX.

BSM is on all but the base CX; only highest trims of nissan offer that.
But if you can stand to wait until March, the new CX 5 will be available and it has significant improvements.

Another Nissan that is per Consumer Reports, "Bland as toast to drive' and has "another droning CVT."
I've seen a lot of younger women driving the Nissan so the awful CVT must not bother the ladies.
Make sure you do a lengthy test drive as many cannot stand the "motoboarding" effect hard acceleration will produce with a CVT.

Also, owner satisfaction for the rogue as reported by Consumer Reports is “poor,” while the CX 5 rated “good.”
Poor driving position and “uncomfortable seats” led the list of owner complaints for the rogue while road noise and low center vents were negatives on the CX.

But if you can stand to wait until March, the new CX 5 will be available and it has significant improvements.

at least the younger ladies drive the nissan... any time i see a CX-5, it's a woman over 45. seeing a driving enthusiast who drives a CX-5 is a rarity, with most of us present on this forum.

Also, owner satisfaction for the rogue as reported by Consumer Reports is “poor,” while the CX 5 rated “good.”
Poor driving position and “uncomfortable seats” led the list of owner complaints for the rogue while road noise and low center vents were negatives on the CX.

rogue is also one and a half seconds SLOWER to 60, something that is very important on a freeway merge.

100% true story that happened today. So we have this newish (little over a month) guy at work who is always asking questions about my car. Wheel size, where do I get mods etc. He told me he wanted to do something similar. Within the last week I've noticed a brand new 2017 Mirage ES parking next to me regularly. I also parked next to because I like those cars. Today the guy starts asking me more questions about parts and such, and asked him if that Mirage was his; and it is. Turns out he got rid of an Isuzu Rodeo, and bought that because he wanted a car more like mine (I'm guessing in shape/form factor). He had heard good things about the car and others had recommended him. So of course I immediately told him about my own fascination with the car, the forum he should visits, popular mods etc (honestly I know more about it than most owners probably do). Just seemed really funny to me that as much as I mention this car, especially on Mazda FB pages (a common joke is that I ask did you look at the Mirage when someone totals their car, or wants to buy something new), that my MAZDA was the inspiration for him buying the Mirage. lol!

That, and Nissan's CVT hasn't exactly got the best reputation. Would not touch the Rogue with a 10 foot pole.

+1 I owned 4 Nissans and once they went to CVT I left the brand. Maybe Honda builds a less droning CVT, but Nissan's is horrible. I actually like the 2017 CX5 interior better, with it's clean classy elegant design. It screams luxury.

+1 I owned 4 Nissans and once they went to CVT I left the brand. Maybe Honda builds a less droning CVT, but Nissan's is horrible. I actually like the 2017 CX5 interior better, with it's clean classy elegant design. It screams luxury.

From what I've heard, and granted, I'm not part of the industry, Subaru is the only one who's CVT is really worth a damn.

Latest posts

Back