Opinions needed. We are about to purchase one of the 3 cars and CX5 is #1

NIZMOZ

:
MazdaSpeed3
We are going to go look at all 3 of these cars Monday:

2017 RAV4 Limited
2017 Nissan Rogue SL
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT (All options)

My mom has issues with her lower back, and she has been driving an 2013 Altima S model for 3 years. It is paid off. She has degenerative Scoliosis (excuse my spelling). And at her age of 70, there isn't much that can be done to fix it. So we are getting rid of the car which seems to agitate it more than anything as she has to pull her self out of it and it takes her over a minute or so to get out and in the car. She needs a car she mostly just sits in and not have to pull herself out of. So we are looking at higher cars that aren't too big.

She doesn't like vehicles that do not handle well. She needs a car that drives like a car. Not one that feels tipsy, or leans a lot. She had a Lexus RX back in 2001, and hated it because of that. She had a Murano after that and loved it, and it handled fairly well. It was better but still not great. The MDX she had was the best but was too big.

I think the CX-5 is the best car for her because of how well it handles. It may not be as roomy as the other two, but if adults can fit comfortably in the back seat for trips too, I think it will fit the bill.

Because she is retired, and really can't afford a new car payment, I am buying this car for her and using her Altima as a trade in. Probably around $10k worth at 41k miles it has now.

Wanted to see all of your opinions out there compared to these cars. I know you guys will lean more towards the CX-5, so I will be taking that into account as well.

Thanks everyone.

One of the things that both my wife and I noticed about the CX-5 is how easy it is to get into and out of. The seat height from the ground is just perfect. No climbing up or down.

Not that we'd have any issues if we did have to climb up or down, we're not that old yet.

My wife had 5 vertebrae fused and the CX-5 was my first choice. Perhaps the other choices you are considering are as good with entry/egress. I shopped the RAV4 and CRV. I just find the CX-5 more attractive, and in my case a better deal than the X1.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

For ease of entry/exit and a vehicle that drives like a car, good utility, is great for trips, the Mazda5 is also an option, and there will not be a lot of new tech things for mom to learn.

For ease of entry/exit and a vehicle that drives like a car, good utility, is great for trips, the Mazda5 is also an option, and there will not be a lot of new tech things for mom to learn.

Still have to pull yourself out of the Mazda 5 though. It isn't much better than her Altima in height. :(

One of the things that both my wife and I noticed about the CX-5 is how easy it is to get into and out of. The seat height from the ground is just perfect. No climbing up or down.

Not that we'd have any issues if we did have to climb up or down, we're not that old yet.

Definitely good to know. That is what we are looking for.

My wife had 5 vertebrae fused and the CX-5 was my first choice. Perhaps the other choices you are considering are as good with entry/egress. I shopped the RAV4 and CRV. I just find the CX-5 more attractive, and in my case a better deal than the X1.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

The CRV is a bit more money equally equipped, so we are staying away from it.

Test drove the RAV4 hybrid limited before buying my 16.5 GT. Thought the power was better than the CX-5 mostly because of the hybrid boost on launch, but the steering felt dead in comparison.

Recently drove all 3 in one morning with a friend. The Rogue was an SV, and the interior felt very cheap, beyond what leather seats would change. Ride was rough, but power was OK. It was a 16 with $4,500 off because of close out. Still, no sale.

The RAV4 was an SE, and I liked it (as a passenger). She didn't like the driving dynamics. Can't beat Toyota reliability! My wife loves her 08 RAV4, but it is a V6. I enjoy driving it and the handling is better than the current generation.

She ended up choosing the CX-5 Touring with Bose/Sunroof. Coming from a Jetta, she really like the way the CX-5 handled. Got a great deal for her - 13.5% off.

Still have to pull yourself out of the Mazda 5 though. It isn't much better than her Altima in height. :(

I have to disagree, the seat height is neutral, you don't need to pull yourself in or out.

Getting in and out of the rear seats is much easier too on the Mazda5.

Both my parents and I have owned Mazda5's and Mazda CX-5's. Our biggest things we both miss are the ease of entry/exit and the sliding doors with the full size reclining rear seats.

Last edited:
How long does she plan to keep this vehicle and what type of driving does she do?

I compared rav4 and cx5 back in 2014. I got the cx5 based on test drive...which was an impulsive and quick decision.

If I had to do it again I would compare the drivetrain more closely and definitely compare maintenance costs. The cx5 required a little more than I initialized realized: ie, transmission and fuel system.

Both the Rav and Cx5 have had a couple years to grow up since I shopped, so there should be improvements and more history to compare with both vehicles. I was not impressed with the rav4 ride quality when I test drove, but the cx5 with 19" wheels is not any better, it just felt more responsive/connected to the road compared to the Rav. I certainly wouldn't recommend 19" wheels for someone with a bad back. The bumps are kind of annoying, and seats, while comfortable, are not plush by any means, more supportive/responsive. Not a cushy ride by any means.

Just test drive what vehicles you like...a lot. And make sure you're testing with recommended tire pressure. Drive it on rough roads.

Also, look used. You may be able to get a more luxurious, better riding vehicle for a comparable price. I wouldn't guess any CUV is really built with bad backs in mind. It's an entry level, no frills SUV.

I would lean Toyota for a retiree who I assume will not be putting a lot of miles on this vehicle. I have been learning a lot about the detrimental effects of lots of short trips and cold starts with the cx5. The fuel system has a tendency to gum up because of low rpm, short driving that doesn't heat things up enough to burn off deposits, and also doesn't burn off the gas that gets in the engine oil leading to rising oil levels that I have experienced this winter.

At 40k miles, the cx5 is a good vehicle, but a little more high maintenance than I initially thought it'd be.

i am 69 and unfortunate have the same health issues, and I LOVE a good handeling car. I came from a Audi and I could drive for about 1.5 hours before I just had to get out. I knew sitting up straighter helped a lot but I couldn't bring myself to drive a van or SUV until the CX-5. I drove it and for the first time in my life I bought a new vehicle. BTW. I drove the other two you tested and a few more. Nothing came close to the handeling of the CX-5.

My advice, buy it, and if you need to do anything to the. Seat, then do it. Then enjoy.

I have to disagree, the seat height is neutral, you don't need to pull yourself in or out.

Both my parents and I have owned Mazda5's and Mazda CX-5's. Our biggest things we both miss are the ease of entry/exit and the sliding doors with the full size reclining rear seats.
I agree with you on Mazda5 and my brother has one for his mother-in-law exactly for that reason. The only problem is Mazda no longer sells Mazda5 if you want a new one.

If I were in your situation I would strongly consider renting a CX-5 GT or other first choice to minimize possible regrets.My 2014 cx-5 has cloth seats which I found to be more comfortable than the harder(to me) GT leather seats.But still after 3 years of ownership (18,000 miles) I'm still wishing the seat had better lower back support.The lumbar doesn't go down far enough to offer enough for my back.Also, I find the seat barely wide enough across the shoulder blade area.The seat definitely fits better wearing a t-shirt vs a heavy winter coat.This may not be a problem for mom though.After being in RAV4,Kia sportage,CX-5 GT,the most comfortable CUV seat I found was my friends 2014 Ford Escape Titanium leather seats.It also rode better on 19" wheels than my CX-5 on 17''.Was quieter too,handled decent and has a power liftgate which Mazda doesn't /didn't offer.I noticed Ford isn't on your list but thought to mention it anyway.
Regarding ride quality,(another good reason to rent first and drive it for longer than just a test drive),rough roads may cast a different light.Something I didn't do on my test drive--my bad-- but I would have bought it anyway.After 3000 miles on the stock yokohama 17", the ride was bothering me enough (harsh/jarring at times) to purchase better riding tires.

I'm just relaying my personal thoughts/findings after owning the car for a while.For a person with back problems I think a thorough test taking seat and ride comfort in account would be a high priority even before handling. Good Luck.

Test drove the RAV4 hybrid limited before buying my 16.5 GT. Thought the power was better than the CX-5 mostly because of the hybrid boost on launch, but the steering felt dead in comparison.

Recently drove all 3 in one morning with a friend. The Rogue was an SV, and the interior felt very cheap, beyond what leather seats would change. Ride was rough, but power was OK. It was a 16 with $4,500 off because of close out. Still, no sale.

The RAV4 was an SE, and I liked it (as a passenger). She didn't like the driving dynamics. Can't beat Toyota reliability! My wife loves her 08 RAV4, but it is a V6. I enjoy driving it and the handling is better than the current generation.

She ended up choosing the CX-5 Touring with Bose/Sunroof. Coming from a Jetta, she really like the way the CX-5 handled. Got a great deal for her - 13.5% off.

Yeah, the 2017 ROGUE interior is much better over the 2016. Only reason I'd consider it and not the 16 is because it has the upgraded interior.

That is very surprising for a car to have the same height as a CUV. Will pay attention to that Monday when we go.

How long does she plan to keep this vehicle and what type of driving does she do?

I compared rav4 and cx5 back in 2014. I got the cx5 based on test drive...which was an impulsive and quick decision.

If I had to do it again I would compare the drivetrain more closely and definitely compare maintenance costs. The cx5 required a little more than I initialized realized: ie, transmission and fuel system.

Both the Rav and Cx5 have had a couple years to grow up since I shopped, so there should be improvements and more history to compare with both vehicles. I was not impressed with the rav4 ride quality when I test drove, but the cx5 with 19" wheels is not any better, it just felt more responsive/connected to the road compared to the Rav. I certainly wouldn't recommend 19" wheels for someone with a bad back. The bumps are kind of annoying, and seats, while comfortable, are not plush by any means, more supportive/responsive. Not a cushy ride by any means.

Just test drive what vehicles you like...a lot. And make sure you're testing with recommended tire pressure. Drive it on rough roads.

Also, look used. You may be able to get a more luxurious, better riding vehicle for a comparable price. I wouldn't guess any CUV is really built with bad backs in mind. It's an entry level, no frills SUV.

I would lean Toyota for a retiree who I assume will not be putting a lot of miles on this vehicle. I have been learning a lot about the detrimental effects of lots of short trips and cold starts with the cx5. The fuel system has a tendency to gum up because of low rpm, short driving that doesn't heat things up enough to burn off deposits, and also doesn't burn off the gas that gets in the engine oil leading to rising oil levels that I have experienced this winter.

At 40k miles, the cx5 is a good vehicle, but a little more high maintenance than I initially thought it'd be.

She actually drives highway a lot. We take care of my 46 year old brother with autism and she drives him across town twice a day to drop him off at the day program at a center. It's around 60 miles a day all highway and can be up to 80 if she does any other stops. The Altima got 32-36 mpg normally because of all the highway driving. This will probably be her last vehicle before she can't drive any longer. So I want to make sure she gets one she can enjoy, and be a loaded one. She has already said she doesn't like the looks of the new RAV4, so that maybe already done, but who knows once she drives it, she may like it.

i am 69 and unfortunate have the same health issues, and I LOVE a good handeling car. I came from a Audi and I could drive for about 1.5 hours before I just had to get out. I knew sitting up straighter helped a lot but I couldn't bring myself to drive a van or SUV until the CX-5. I drove it and for the first time in my life I bought a new vehicle. BTW. I drove the other two you tested and a few more. Nothing came close to the handeling of the CX-5.

My advice, buy it, and if you need to do anything to the. Seat, then do it. Then enjoy.

I am hoping that is the case with her. I think she will love the CX-5. The only thing I don't like is the white seats, because she wears blue jeans and those have dyed her seats on previous cars.... lol. May have to find a seat cover for her.

I agree with you on Mazda5 and my brother has one for his mother-in-law exactly for that reason. The only problem is Mazda no longer sells Mazda5 if you want a new one.

Ohhhhh, now I know what the Mazda5 is. I thought you were both talking about the Mazda 6. Yes, the Mazda 5 would work, but she and I both want new.

If I were in your situation I would strongly consider renting a CX-5 GT or other first choice to minimize possible regrets.My 2014 cx-5 has cloth seats which I found to be more comfortable than the harder(to me) GT leather seats.But still after 3 years of ownership (18,000 miles) I'm still wishing the seat had better lower back support.The lumbar doesn't go down far enough to offer enough for my back.Also, I find the seat barely wide enough across the shoulder blade area.The seat definitely fits better wearing a t-shirt vs a heavy winter coat.This may not be a problem for mom though.After being in RAV4,Kia sportage,CX-5 GT,the most comfortable CUV seat I found was my friends 2014 Ford Escape Titanium leather seats.It also rode better on 19" wheels than my CX-5 on 17''.Was quieter too,handled decent and has a power liftgate which Mazda doesn't /didn't offer.I noticed Ford isn't on your list but thought to mention it anyway.
Regarding ride quality,(another good reason to rent first and drive it for longer than just a test drive),rough roads may cast a different light.Something I didn't do on my test drive--my bad-- but I would have bought it anyway.After 3000 miles on the stock yokohama 17", the ride was bothering me enough (harsh/jarring at times) to purchase better riding tires.

I'm just relaying my personal thoughts/findings after owning the car for a while.For a person with back problems I think a thorough test taking seat and ride comfort in account would be a high priority even before handling. Good Luck.

I've actually tried locating one locally, and no rental places have Mazdas. We have a small town, so there isn't much to choose from in Abilene, TX.

Back again.Forgot to mention a few things that mazda omitted on my cx-5 and still don't know if they rectified on later/more upscale model.(1) only the drivers power window button has a small light to locate it at night.You have to feel for the other three in the darkness.(this still pisses me off---I may have to do a hack if an updated switch isn't available)neither does the power mirror control knob have illumination. (2) no "courtesy" lights at the bottom of the interior door panels.Didn't notice these omissions partly because of daytime test drive.

I had a 2013 ford focus, loved the car, but it killed my back after 45mins. My 2016.6 touring with heated cloth seats is like sitting in paradise! I can sit for 4 hrs, no problem, and the heat on low does more for my back then the PT I did two years ago. EZ, EZ, EZ to get in and out of. Fun car to drive too.

I think you've pointed out a key point for a person with degenerative scoliosis who wants to drive a good handling vehicle. She has to compromise for a softer ride and CX-5 is not suitable for her. During the last long trip on our CX-5 with all those bumps I suddenly feel l miss our Honda CR-V! In addition, the power lumbar support on GT is not supportive comparing to all other vehicles we have and it's not enough for a driver with a bad back! High side bolster on the seat surface from CX-5 GT also adds difficulty for ingress and egress.

To OP, honestly you should put more weight on comfort than handling for a driver with a bad back. I do believe a new 2017 Honda CR-V is the best for your mom. MSRP on CR-V is very competitive to CX-5. You don't have to get all bells and whistles for a Honda CR-V and pay the premium. Older generation sometimes may not interested in many of those high-Tech features and may never use them. :)

Back again.Forgot to mention a few things that mazda omitted on my cx-5 and still don't know if they rectified on later/more upscale model.(1) only the drivers power window button has a small light to locate it at night.You have to feel for the other three in the darkness.(this still pisses me off---I may have to do a hack if an updated switch isn't available)neither does the power mirror control knob have illumination. (2) no "courtesy" lights at the bottom of the interior door panels.Didn't notice these omissions partly because of daytime test drive.

That won't be an issue at all actually. With her vision, she can't drive at night at all. :)

I think you've pointed out a key point for a person with degenerative scoliosis who wants to drive a good handling vehicle. She has to compromise for a softer ride and CX-5 is not suitable for her. During the last long trip on our CX-5 with all those bumps I suddenly feel l miss our Honda CR-V! In addition, the power lumbar support on GT is not supportive comparing to all other vehicles we have and it's not enough for a driver with a bad back! High side bolster on the seat surface from CX-5 GT also adds difficulty for ingress and egress.

To OP, honestly you should put more weight on comfort than handling for a driver with a bad back. I do believe a new 2017 Honda CR-V is the best for your mom. MSRP on CR-V is very competitive to CX-5. You don't have to get all bells and whistles for a Honda CR-V and pay the premium. Older generation sometimes may not interested in many of those high-Tech features and may never use them. :)

Will consider it. She doesn't seem to want to lean that way either.

Rogue will handle better than cx5 if you drive on water, cx5 handles better on land.
In short rogue handles like a submarine.

Mazda 5 has bad crash ratings. Despite its price point and no competition at the price point it still is not selling.

Back