Planning long distance trip with 2010 cx9

Njsarge

:
2010 CX-9 Grand Touring
We are planning a trip to South Carolina in the summer. We live in NJ so it is a 600 mile plus trip each way. The transfer case was replaced at 34k and now have about 10k on the new one. I plan on change the fluid when the weather warms up. Is it ok to drive this far in this vehicle? We will be making some rest stops on the way and not driving for 10 hours straight. I was considering taking my outback instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With fresh fluid and regular maintenance I don't see why it wouldn't be ok to make the trip.

Personally I'd rather be in an Outback but this is the wife's vehicle and it's what she picked.

I was concerned because I read some posts that said prolonged hours of driving degraded then fluid in the transfer case rapidly. Plus the cx9 is a beast on gas compared to my outback.

I have friends who regularly make the trip from NJ to SC in their CX-9 AWD. I changed the transfer case fluid for them last year to synthetic fluid (Royal Purple) and they have had no issues at all making the trips down south and back. I plan on making the trip from NY to SC myself in the near future and my CX-9 is on the second change of transfer case fluid as I do mine at 25K miles.

Thanks for the info rowland. The wife prefers the cx9 for comfort. Will be changing the fluid soon so won't have to worry as much.

I am using the royal purple as suggested in the forum.

Might give that a try after I use all of the royal purple

Back