CX-5 Rear Clicking Sound

CX5crossover

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Tour AWD
Within days of purchasing my Certified Pre-Owned 2014 CX-5 AWD with 46k miles, I began to notice a subtle clicking sound as I would press the brakes at pretty much any speed. 2 weeks have gone by, and the sound has gotten louder and appears to be coming from both sides of the rear of the vehicle. Years ago, I use to be an ASE Auto Tech, and had seen this problem before. I made the assumption that it was a brake pad retention clip issue... since brake calipers are typically mounted on the rear-side of the brake rotor system, when you're traveling along, the caliper is relaxed and gravity causes the "loose" pad/s to drop towards the ground. As soon as you press the brakes, the pad will quickly grip and "snap" into a more forward position causing the audible "click". Since, under the CPO program the car is under a renewed bumper-to-bumper warranty, I decided to take it in and have Mazda fix the problem. I was at the dealership for 3 hours, and it was discovered that the brakes were fine, but that a suspension piece that goes from one side of the rear suspension to the other had developed stress cracks because of braking torque loads, and it needed to be replaced. The service advisor explained that Mazda is well aware of the poor construction of the OEM part, and has already issued a Tech Service Bulletin calling out the deficient part and addressing the repair. He showed me the service bulleting, but didn't give me a copy of it. The part wasn't in stock, so I'll have to go back next week for the 5 hour installation job. Its important to note that failure of the part will not effect the safe operation, just the growing unpleasant noise and possibly ride comfort issues.

Has anyone else run across this problem? And, where can folks go to look at service bulletins? I tried Mazdaproblems.com, but it's a third party website, and the information there kind of sucked. They give you a teaser of information, and then want you to pay $25.99 a year to have access to their general service tips website. I'm looking for something better than that!

Rear sway bar or bar end link/bushing? Thats the only thing I can think of that links your left/right suspension. Never heard of any tsb regarding that part. I upgraded mine because the oem one is soft and small.

Last edited:
Old but
Red is endlink, blue is bar both aftermarket
cache.php

cache.php

I never noticed anything cracked back there when I swapped tires around for the winter. I'll have to crawl underneath to take a closer look tomorrow. This thread is troubling if it's true...

Find out what part they ordered. It almost certainly can't be the sway bar as breaking or cracking in that would be uncommon unless you were off roading. Probably an end link, but it shouldn't take 5 hours to install that. Or more likely, they didn't describe the problem to you well and is something else entirely.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Just noticed the five hour installation reference, I hope they're not talking about the rear crossmember...

Back