Transfer Case Replaced Under Warranty

Zudnick

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GS AWD Luxury Package
Hello,

I just had the transfer case on my 2012 replaced under warranty today. It started dripping black sludge on my garage floor, and when I took it into the local dealership they said that they would replace the transfer case right away. They received the approval from Mazda Canada and a new transfer case arrived in less than a week. The whole process went went very smoothly.

My only issue is that that when I asked a few questions at the dealership, no one seemed to have any answers for me... I mainly wanted to know if the new transfer case was any different than the original. Has it been improved in anyway? If so, what has been changed? Is there something more that I should be doing to help the replacement transfer case last more than three or four years?

I have also sent these questions via email to Mazda Canada to see what their response is, but I also thought that I would post here to see what information you had?

I have searched and read most of the transfer case info on this site, but other than it being a good idea to change the transfer case oil more often, I didn't really get any answers to my other questions about the transfer case and any potential improvements to the replacement.

Thanks for your help!

Z

Yes, it has been revised since the production of your vehicle.... part numbers indicates this
What's changed and how much better it is? I have no idea

Hello,

I just had the transfer case on my 2012 replaced under warranty today. It started dripping black sludge on my garage floor, and when I took it into the local dealership they said that they would replace the transfer case right away. They received the approval from Mazda Canada and a new transfer case arrived in less than a week. The whole process went went very smoothly.

My only issue is that that when I asked a few questions at the dealership, no one seemed to have any answers for me... I mainly wanted to know if the new transfer case was any different than the original. Has it been improved in anyway? If so, what has been changed? Is there something more that I should be doing to help the replacement transfer case last more than three or four years?

I have also sent these questions via email to Mazda Canada to see what their response is, but I also thought that I would post here to see what information you had?

I have searched and read most of the transfer case info on this site, but other than it being a good idea to change the transfer case oil more often, I didn't really get any answers to my other questions about the transfer case and any potential improvements to the replacement.

Thanks for your help!

Z

There was really no change, still small capacity and no drain plug, the small capacity is the key, any redeeamble improvement would have at least increased the capacity or at the very least a drain plug for ease of maintenance, Mazda did neither,

see link below for regular maintenance of 1st gen CX-9 transfer case....

how many miles did you have when you saw the black sludge dripping ?

that's the oil overheating inside the transfer case and blowing out the breather valve on top....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847373-Changing-CX-9-transfer-case-gear-oil-(photos)

Last edited:
I took my 2010 CX9 in for Takata airbag recall and asked the dealer to replace the transfer case oil since it still had the original oil and at 65K was way overdue (I've only had the rear diff oil changed at 35K). No leaks that I could see. No sulphur style smell either. With the powertrain warranty expiring I wanted the dealer to have a close look at it, just in case.

First they said that the transfer is not serviceable and oil is "lifetime". They called me back an hour later stating that the oil was all gunky with a small leak. Mazda quickly agreed to replace the transfer case under warranty,

Get a second phone call the next day. They found some metal shavings and were also going to replace the transmission under warranty. Sweet.

The final paperwork shows that they installed a remanufactured transmission which I think means a previously used case with brand-new internals as needed (could be wrong on that).

The car drives very smooth, only negative is that the transmission gate feels a bit more clunky than before.

Plan to have an indy shop suck out the gear oil every 15K from now on. Would hate to pay 5-6K out of pocket on a car that old.

One other benefit is that they gave me a 2016 CX9 Touring AWD as a loaner. That thing definitely drives a lot more sporty and is fairly zippy with the turbo. Was impressed with the much more quiet interior (especially wind/tires). The 2.5 4 cyl is not my favorite engine sound wise, it is a bit rough especially compared to an Audi 2.0T.

The most surprising was the feeling of torque steer. With the V6 AWD you never feel the tires spinning (have a nice set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422 on it) In the first two gears you can feel the front tires struggling for grip with the extra torque from the turbo. Not excessive but still very noticeable to me. A FWD CX9 must drive like the Saab 9-3 Turbo that I used to have. Quite fun but maybe a bit tiresome.

I took my 2010 CX9 in for Takata airbag recall and asked the dealer to replace the transfer case oil since it still had the original oil and at 65K was way overdue (I've only had the rear diff oil changed at 35K). No leaks that I could see. No sulphur style smell either. With the powertrain warranty expiring I wanted the dealer to have a close look at it, just in case.

First they said that the transfer is not serviceable and oil is "lifetime". They called me back an hour later stating that the oil was all gunky with a small leak. Mazda quickly agreed to replace the transfer case under warranty,

Get a second phone call the next day. They found some metal shavings and were also going to replace the transmission under warranty. Sweet.

The final paperwork shows that they installed a remanufactured transmission which I think means a previously used case with brand-new internals as needed (could be wrong on that).

The car drives very smooth, only negative is that the transmission gate feels a bit more clunky than before.

Plan to have an indy shop suck out the gear oil every 15K from now on. Would hate to pay 5-6K out of pocket on a car that old.

One other benefit is that they gave me a 2016 CX9 Touring AWD as a loaner. That thing definitely drives a lot more sporty and is fairly zippy with the turbo. Was impressed with the much more quiet interior (especially wind/tires). The 2.5 4 cyl is not my favorite engine sound wise, it is a bit rough especially compared to an Audi 2.0T.

The most surprising was the feeling of torque steer. With the V6 AWD you never feel the tires spinning (have a nice set of Bridgestone Ecopia 422 on it) In the first two gears you can feel the front tires struggling for grip with the extra torque from the turbo. Not excessive but still very noticeable to me. A FWD CX9 must drive like the Saab 9-3 Turbo that I used to have. Quite fun but maybe a bit tiresome.

wow!! GOOD DEAL , you really lucked out ! you got both transfer case AND a transmission swap on a 2010,
you'll probably be good for another 3-4 years, so 10 years out of the CX-9 is a good return on your money and no major out of pocket costs/repairs, congrats.

Back