06 Mazda5 Sport Missing Oil Issue

tefloncandi

:
2009 Mazda5
Hello Fam, I need your help!
I have an 06 Mazda5 with 205000 miles, manual gear box and after an oil change at the dealership last year it started losing oil to the tune of 3 to 5 quarts a month. Strange thing is there is no oil leak under the vehicle, no blue smoking out of the exhaust, no oil in the water, and the local mechanics are clueless?
Any ideas?
Thanx in advance

You either have a two stroke engine... so should be blue smoke but much of it can be covered by a cat which will fail promptly or you have a massive oil leak or the oil is going into a radiator and mixing with the coolant.
I really don't know a way to cover a loosing 1 liter of oil a week into thin air.
Some oil leaks happen only when the engine is running but you should be able to see that. My moms car loosing 2 liters every 3 month and I can see the leak happening but it only leaks on the road not in parking space.
Find a different mechanic to check or clean the engine and see if you have fresh oil drips.

You either have a two stroke engine... so should be blue smoke ...
lol

Find a different mechanic to check or clean the engine and see if you have fresh oil drips.
This.

If this only started after the oil change, my guess, mechanic at dealer didn't know how to change cartridge oil filter - cross/threaded/cracked oil cartridge housing and/or drain bolt - you are leaking oil. In any case, as Vasy said, clean engine - look for oil coming out of engine, especially around oil pan drain bolt and oil filter area.

Just had another thought, some cheap neighbor is draining your oil and using it for their purposes ... not(hand):p

Hello Fam, I need your help!
I have an 06 Mazda5 with 205000 miles, manual gear box and after an oil change at the dealership last year it started losing oil to the tune of 3 to 5 quarts a month. Strange thing is there is no oil leak under the vehicle, no blue smoking out of the exhaust, no oil in the water, and the local mechanics are clueless?
Any ideas?
Thanx in advance

First, impressive: 200K+ miles! As to oil loss, 5 qts is about as much as my 2.5L engine needs. Probably same for the 2.3L. How many miles a month does the car see? How often do you check oil level? (I'm guessing very regularly.) Is there an issue with the dip stick by chance? Does the engine sound differently than before? I figure it would if half of the oil was gone...

I wonder if the thing to do is perform an oil and filter change yourself for starters if you are able to. Get a good filter and high-quality oil. And certainly inspect whatever is accessible under the hood and above the undercover. There's gotta be a pool of oil trapped somewhere at this loss rate...

Oh, and by "oil change at the dealership last year" do you mean it was done late in 2016 or a year ago? And put that oil loss in the context of miles driven, as in 1 qt every xxxx miles. That would be helpful.

According to the mechanic both of my cats need to be replaced, as well as both O2 sensors and this is all due to oil bypass. But he cannot tell me the source why is bypassing or where????
The shop foreman said it could be a PCV valve but he is not sure where it is licated on my vehicle or it can also be valve seats???
He also told me the mazda 2.3 are notorious for this problem!
I am so frustrated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PCV is under the intake manifold, you have to remote the intake mani to get to it. Search jimellismazdaparts.com/for the parts diagram.

Valve cover gasket leak is also common on this engine. I have signs of a slow leak. Clean all around the valve gasket and observe if it gets wet. Valve cover gasket is cheap and relatively easy DIY.

Have the shop do a compression test or better yet leakdown test. This will let you know if you are burning oil.

Good luck.

Back