All Season Tire Recommendation

MZ5black

:
2014 Mazda5 Sport Auto
I read a thread started by 5zoom about Yoko YK580 tires lasting 44K+ miles which is great. I don't think I'll get that much from current tires as I lost about 3/32nds of tread depth in 16K miles. I'm essentially losing 1/32nd per 5-6K miles. (I'm now between 6/32 and 7/32.) Wear has been even which was one positive -- unlike the stock Toyo tires. So I thought I'd ask the group for recommendations of a long-lasting A/S tire for the 5. Here are some that I'm considering:
Continental ControlContact Tour A/S (Discount Tire exclusive)
Continental PureContact
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring (on another car right now and doing well)
General AltiMAX RT43
Michelin Defender
Pirelli P4 Four Seasons Plus

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

P.S. Are Mazda5, Mazda3 and some other Mazda models known to eat tires faster than average even when wear is even and no cupping is evident? I got 50K+ miles out of 40K miles rated tires on a different vehicle recently and it will probably be the opposite on the 5.

Last edited:
My oem tires on Mazda 5 went 44k miles

I replaced with all season Michelin mxm4 primacy. Love it. Quiet, good quality, super long lasting as I have it on two other cars

Thanks -- I believe I saw that you recommended those tires before at some point. I'm planning on sticking with stock size tires for my 16" rims which makes it a much different size than yours if you still have 18" wheels but still, very helpful.

It appears that these tires are still for sale and not discontinued yet. I thought that Michelin replaced MVM4's with something else but it might have been Primacy MXV4. I'm not very familiar with their line-up. At first glance, wear rating of 500 and warranty of 55k miles at Michelin prices is not impressive but there is probably more to it. To me, recommendations from actual owners are especially valuable.

Yes my mazda5 has the Ms3 wheels since year 1. It came stock with 17s. I never had the 16s

I have them on my other non performance cars , tsx wagon and lexus hybrid.

I have used them in rain and snow

For me it is the quietest high quality tire I have used and I have gotten great miles out of them . Noise and smooth and safety are the most important to me in this type of car as these cars transport my family. Then again most mazda5 owners don't want to spend $800-900 on tires like me.

Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks -- I believe I saw that you recommended those tires before at some point. I'm planning on sticking with stock size tires for my 16" rims which makes it a much different size than yours if you still have 18" wheels but still, very helpful.

It appears that these tires are still for sale and not discontinued yet. I thought that Michelin replaced MVM4's with something else but it might have been Primacy MXV4. I'm not very familiar with their line-up. At first glance, wear rating of 500 and warranty of 55k miles at Michelin prices is not impressive but there is probably more to it. To me, recommendations from actual owners are especially valuable.

Last edited:
Yes my mazda5 has the Ms3 wheels since year 1. It came stock with 17s. I never had the 16s

I have them on my other non performance cars , tsx wagon and lexus hybrid.

I have used them in rain and snow

For me it is the quietest high quality tire I have used and I have gotten great miles out of them . Noise and smooth and safety are the most important to me in this type of car as these cars transport my family. Then again most mazda5 owners don't want to spend $800-900 on tires like me.

Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks again. As to wheel size, that makes sense. I believe 2nd gen Sports come stock with 16" and Touring and Grand Touring came with 17". Not sure how much size would matter in terms of tire performance, wear, etc.

I can also vouch for the Michelin Primacy MXM4. They're much, much better than the OEM Toyos that came on my '13 Sport. I kept the 16' wheels.

Shop around and you should find a good deal. I got the Michelins at Sears for $500 including mounting and balancing.

I can also vouch for the Michelin Primacy MXM4. They're much, much better than the OEM Toyos that came on my '13 Sport. I kept the 16' wheels.

Shop around and you should find a good deal. I got the Michelins at Sears for $500 including mounting and balancing.

Got it - thanks. Do you have T speed rated Michelins with 16" wheels? I imagine I'll get better wear with T vs H (or up).

I've gone with Cooper RS3-As twice now and I've been happy. They're not long life, but I'm fine with giving up tread wear in exchange for better grip and lower price. They're a CR recommended tire and I've been happy with their performance in every possible condition, including a hellacious ice storm a few years ago. Cooper just put out a successor to them called the G1 that is supposed to be better but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

I've bee running Conti Extreme DWS for the last 2 years and closing in on 40k miles, they'll need to be changed out after they run their last 10k miles- I run a dedicated winter set of studded snows, so they only see 8 months/yr, but they won't make it past 50k cumulative miles- which is respectable considering price vs. performance. I've been very happy with them. Running General CS5 Uktra Touring on my wife's Honda CRV, but it's too soon to pass judgement (6week/2k miles), but first impressions are excellent considering DiscountTireDirect had a smoking deal on them for ~$300 for a set delivered after $70 back on a Visa card: which I received in only 4 weeks after submitting :eek:)
I live in the NE and on a hairy 700ft long driveway and the studded snows are my only chance sometimes....

I've gone with Cooper RS3-As twice now and I've been happy. They're not long life, but I'm fine with giving up tread wear in exchange for better grip and lower price. They're a CR recommended tire and I've been happy with their performance in every possible condition, including a hellacious ice storm a few years ago. Cooper just put out a successor to them called the G1 that is supposed to be better but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

Thanks. I know little about the Zeon RS3 line but you're right, RS3-A is fairly inexpensive esp. for W+ speed. The new G1 is more expensive and rated fairly poorly by CR comparing to other UHP A/S tires but that doesn't mean much to me. I once bought a car with a tire that was at the bottom of CR's A/S T speed rated list. It lasted longer than tread warranty and performed quite well overall. So I take CR tire ratings with a grain of salt...

I've bee running Conti Extreme DWS for the last 2 years and closing in on 40k miles, they'll need to be changed out after they run their last 10k miles- I run a dedicated winter set of studded snows, so they only see 8 months/yr, but they won't make it past 50k cumulative miles- which is respectable considering price vs. performance. I've been very happy with them. Running General CS5 Uktra Touring on my wife's Honda CRV, but it's too soon to pass judgement (6week/2k miles), but first impressions are excellent considering DiscountTireDirect had a smoking deal on them for ~$300 for a set delivered after $70 back on a Visa card: which I received in only 4 weeks after submitting :eek:)
I live in the NE and on a hairy 700ft long driveway and the studded snows are my only chance sometimes....

Thanks for the feedback re: Conti DWS's. If you're referring to Cooper CS5's on the CRV then that's what I have on my other vehicle. Ultra Touring to be exact. Purchased from DTD. I have close to 10K miles on them. Tread down to 9/32 from 11/32 originally according to Cooper (I didn't measure to verify). Not ideal in terms of wear but may be the reality of H speed rated tires. So far pretty good in terms of performance. Really good considering the cost.

Last edited:
IMHO, the best way to shop for tires is look at tirerack.com for their tire test results and compare them to user survey feedback. Really comes down to $$.

Just my opinion on my last 4 all reasons:
Kumho Ecsta 4X – Didn’t like this tire. Grips well dry but useless in anything but dry, which it is very good but I wanted all season. Did not live up to the 4X (unless they mean off-roading 4X). Appears to have a short life.
Kumho Ecsta LX Platnium - very nice touring tire offering a very quite HWY ride but handling is terrible in any condition. A choice if you do a lot of straight HWY cruising. Mid-life one tire developed a bubble on side (I could have hit something). Has a decently long tread life.
Kumho PA31 – very nice summer/fall tire with good dry grip most of its tread life. Good in light snow the first 5-10K miles, then useless. Also gets very loud after that. Short life.
General G-Max AS-03 – winner in the bang for the buck category! Average or above average in everything and actually useful in snow and dare I say quite good in rain! It IS the poor/frugal man’s Conti DWS (General is another sister company to Conti brand) but with longer life expectancy.

I am done with the Kumho brand. I get they are budget but their overall quality is subpar. Prior I had Falken, Toyo, and Nittos but been too long so I recollect… I recall favorable impression on Nittos but everything rests on the model. I always change to new tires when I’m due and for once I can say I will look at buying the G-Max again.

IMHO, the best way to shop for tires is look at tirerack.com for their tire test results and compare them to user survey feedback. Really comes down to $$.

[...]

I am done with the Kumho brand. I get they are budget but their overall quality is subpar. Prior I had Falken, Toyo, and Nittos but been too long so I recollect… I recall favorable impression on Nittos but everything rests on the model. I always change to new tires when I’m due and for once I can say I will look at buying the G-Max again.

Thanks for the post. I've never had Kumho, Falken or Nitto tires on any of my vehicles that I can remember anyway... OE Toyo tires were terrible. So probably won't get anything from those brands although will research if time permits. At this time, leaning toward General (as well as select Cooper, Continental, Michelin tires) and will be looking for store and manufacturer rebates.

Only toyo that are worth anything are the R888 I run on my sports car

Stay with the good brands

Thanks for the post. I've never had Kumho, Falken or Nitto tires on any of my vehicles that I can remember anyway... OE Toyo tires were terrible. So probably won't get anything from those brands although will research if time permits. At this time, leaning toward General (as well as select Cooper, Continental, Michelin tires) and will be looking for store and manufacturer rebates.
I should clarify that all my tires choices (except the LX which came with the car) are Ultra High Performance All-Seasons. I sacrifice comfort for grip. If you want more comfort, you should be looking at Grand Touring or Standard Touring All-Seasons. You can't expect a performance tire to last/be quite or a touring tire to be sticky.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

Yes, I meant Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring, not General....still looking like an excellent choice for the Honda CRV. Certainly not as good as a dedicated snow tire, but at least I don't have to hassle with switching them out 2x year. Again, DTD has been spanking Tirerack the last couple years, $300 (after $70 rebate) delivered for the set is a great deal IMO.

I should clarify that all my tires choices (except the LX which came with the car) are Ultra High Performance All-Seasons. I sacrifice comfort for grip. If you want more comfort, you should be looking at Grand Touring or Standard Touring All-Seasons. You can't expect a performance tire to last/be quite or a touring tire to be sticky.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

Yep, understood - thanks. I'm certainly looking at touring/standard A/S tires more than UHP or summer.

I am also looking for new all season tires. I have Toyo Versado LXii which are touring tires and I like them. Our local costco has a promo for 1 cent installation per tire if you get 4 tires and they have BF goodrich gforce sport comp 2 for mazda 5s. Online I learned that these are high performance tires. Anyone used these tires before?

I am also looking for new all season tires. I have Toyo Versado LXii which are touring tires and I like them. Our local costco has a promo for 1 cent installation per tire if you get 4 tires and they have BF goodrich gforce sport comp 2 for mazda 5s. Online I learned that these are high performance tires. Anyone used these tires before?

I've never run this tire... but based on Tire Rack, it's a UHP summer tire as opposed to A/S. Ratings look pretty good. No tread wear warranty so probably won't last long.

I've never run this tire... but based on Tire Rack, it's a UHP summer tire as opposed to A/S. Ratings look pretty good. No tread wear warranty so probably won't last long.

Thanks. I think I will pass on the bf goodrich as treadwear is important to me at this point. Anyone have any experience with bridgestone turanza? They are all season and have 75k mile warranty.

Back