"If we can be the craft beer of the car business, bring it on"

Which is exactly where I found myself, this car purchase. Driving enjoyment was WAY DOWN on my list, hence my choice.

That said, I wonder if Mazda isn't also creating a few excuses, there...they absolutely cannot compete with Lexus, MB, BMW, etc. in many ways, and insulting people by trying to pigeon hole them as "herd mentality" isn't going to convince anyone otherwise.

That said, I did have a friend who bought a RAV4. I asked her "why not a CX5"? and she said "Is that a Toyota?" "then that's why not."

Her logic was that toyotas have always been stellar for her with great reliability, so why change? I found it very hard to argue against.

I don't think Mazda is looking to compete with Lexus etc, we all know it's not a luxury line - but at the same time you have to wonder if they're truly competing with the honda's & toyota's of the world either - the problem they run into is that brand loyalty & reputation you mention with people like your friend, and in the current climate honda & toyota have that reputation as the safe bet, the sure to get you from point a to point b car that everyone feels comfortable with...mazda for the most part seems to fit more of a niche market - people who can't or won't go luxury, but don't want the standard fleet cars you see so many of on the road, it's a happy medium that allows one to be somewhat unique without breaking the bank and for many of us once we've had that fun to drive experience that's where the brand loyalty comes in

I don't think Mazda is looking to compete with Lexus etc, we all know it's not a luxury line - but at the same time you have to wonder if they're truly competing with the honda's & toyota's of the world either - the problem they run into is that brand loyalty & reputation you mention with people like your friend, and in the current climate honda & toyota have that reputation as the safe bet, the sure to get you from point a to point b car that everyone feels comfortable with...mazda for the most part seems to fit more of a niche market - people who can't or won't go luxury, but don't want the standard fleet cars you see so many of on the road, it's a happy medium that allows one to be somewhat unique without breaking the bank and for many of us once we've had that fun to drive experience that's where the brand loyalty comes in

I'm not so sure that's a winning strategy. I mean, the vehicles Mazda makes are pedestrian, except for the Miata. "the safe bet" is what 99.999% of us are looking for when we consider a family sedan or a utility vehicle. When you want a condom...you don't get the fanciest looking glow-in-the-dark thing from the truckstop bathroom vending machine you can find. No. You stick with Trojan. That's what a pedestrian form of transportation is. Something you count on to work. Not a "statement".

Just my .02

I'm not so sure that's a winning strategy. I mean, the vehicles Mazda makes are pedestrian, except for the Miata. "the safe bet" is what 99.999% of us are looking for when we consider a family sedan or a utility vehicle. When you want a condom...you don't get the fanciest looking glow-in-the-dark thing from the truckstop bathroom vending machine you can find. No. You stick with Trojan. That's what a pedestrian form of transportation is. Something you count on to work. Not a "statement".

Just my .02

i agree about the winning strategy part - i think it's part of what keeps them a smaller manufacturer but also on some level i think they like it that way

The other active users range from neutral to supportive/fan, but I feel that those with extensive background in cars/mechanic are more neutral (Kedis82ZE8, SayNoToPistons, ALafya, just to name a few ... and including yrwei52). Perhaps you have experienced/seen better options out there, and view Mazda for what they are.

That's a fair assessment of myself. I'm all over the map for brands but will definitely consider Mazda again. The last Mazda my wife and I had was a '96 Protege. It never saw the dealer once. Parents had a '87 626 and now have a '10 3 Hatch

I wish fine driving dynamics had come to me earlier in my life instead of the last 10 years... it used to be all about the torque & horsepower for me

As for Craft beer!!!! The Northwest US is where that's at!!! :)

Ok.. not a NW beer but I like this one. (drinks)

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-13%20at%201.39.12%20PM.png

Last edited:
I've found a few vehicles that I don't consider a compromise. That said, I want to keep both kidneys and selling neighborhood children across the border is frowned upon.

A high purchase price is a big compromise. Buying expensive cars is a big waste of money, which you could use for other things, such as retire earlier, have a nice vacation, feed your kids, etc. :)

I definitely fit that definition. Cheap beer and cheap utilitarian toaster of a cuv. That said, my gun cabinet would literally make some Delta guys jealous (i shoot enough to actually appreciate my gear)and my liqueur preference is better than my beer choices.

I used to be more discerning about what I drove. Used to take it as a personal reflection of myself. Then I trained with a guy who's killed people in more countries than I've visited states. He rolled up in a Honda pilot. I figured if a weak 6 cylinder family suv worked for him (and he recommended an Element to me since I'm single ), then obviously a nice vehicle with image isn't necessarily indicative of a damn thing. It matured me to meet someone I looked up to who was winning at life and had btdt and drove an appliance.

Glad you edited this. Sounded like you were saying you were a middle aged woman lol.

I needed to replace a compact SUV and I wanted a manual. Slim pickings, but the CX-5 works.

Sure it handles alright, but I never get "that feeling" that some profess when driving the CX-5. I've had other vehicles for that.

I needed to replace a compact SUV and I wanted a manual. Slim pickings, but the CX-5 works.

Sure it handles alright, but I never get "that feeling" that some profess when driving the CX-5. I've had other vehicles for that.

Agreed. I mean...it feels like a sedan of mediocre pedigree. Which is good for a cuv. But I'm not inspired.

I don't recall what I edited, but it well may have been spelling. I suck at that game.
Actually never mind, I misread and it's still there lol.

"Strange thing is... around here, most of the CX5 drivers are women. Middle-aged and up."

You - I definitely fit that definition
(cryhard)

Agreed. I mean...it feels like a sedan of mediocre pedigree. Which is good for a cuv. But I'm not inspired.

I out handled some speed3's on the twisties and I was In the middle of the pack. You can't really gauge the capability of the chassis with the stock set up (and definitely not with wrong wheel drive, which I know you don't have). The car body isn't much larger than a mazda3, and awd benefits form low position weight (lower cg vs fwd), combined with a ride height (or less) of a mazda3. Also the skidpad on on a 16 cx5 awd vs a 17 mz3 WRwd is .81 vs .84 (caranddriver). The motor is the least sporty part of the equation.

If you consider I am riding on 20/245/45, my car is a bit lower than a stock mazda 3. In fact I am considering getting 18's instead for better wheel fitment (inside fender clearance) at my height.
Compare to my signature picture, and you can't tell, but the passenger side front tire is on a paver brick so I could get the jack under the subframe.
2017-mazda-3-inline2-photo-670152-s-original.jpg

Last edited:
Actually never mind, I misread and it's still there lol.

"Strange thing is... around here, most of the CX5 drivers are women. Middle-aged and up."

You - I definitely fit that definition
(cryhard)

I out handled some speed3's on the twisties and I was In the middle of the pack. You can't really gauge the capability of the chassis with the stock set up (and definitely not with wrong wheel drive, which I know you don't have). The car body isn't much larger than a mazda3, and awd benefits form low position weight (lower cg vs fwd), combined with a ride height (or less) of a mazda3. Also the skidpad on on a 16 cx5 awd vs a 17 mz3 WRwd is .81 vs .84 (caranddriver). The motor is the least sporty part of the equation.

If you consider I am riding on 20/245/45, my car is a bit lower than a stock mazda 3. In fact I am considering getting 18's instead for better wheel fitment (inside fender clearance) at my height.
Compare to my signature picture, and you can't tell, but the passenger side front tire is on a paver brick so I could get the jack under the subframe.
2017-mazda-3-inline2-photo-670152-s-original.jpg

I was referencing a different portion as my response indicates.

I learned a long time ago that anything can happen on the skreets. I gave the hit to a 99mustanggt and it pulled my 01 ws.6. We ran em again and again and again with even launches and I skulldrug it by busses. Driver skill, luck of the draw, etc.

Back