It has been fun!

KansasWaldo

:
2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i
Long-time lurker with very few posts here! I've since moved on from my CX-5 after a short time (7 months) due to a variety of reasons, but wanted to say thanks! The wealth of information on these forums made the ownership of my CX-5 more enjoyable.

We'll still be part of the Mazda family with my wife's Mazda3 though! That hot hatch has been a very reliable source of transportation for 140k+ miles now. Still rocking the factory clutch, and no unexpected maintenance has occurred. It just keeps on keeping on.

Congrats, but I don't think I could have gone from one CUV to another CUV especially of the same year, financially, etc. Especially an X1. So, I am curious why you did it?

Congrats, but I don't think I could have gone from one CUV to another CUV especially of the same year, financially, etc. Especially an X1. So, I am curious why you did it?

I have a weird love for CUVs. I've always been a fan of hatchbacks, but enjoy something a little larger without getting into SUV territory.

I had my gripes with the CX-5, and those eventually outweighed my enjoyment of the vehicle. I was itching for something with much more power, more refinement, and sportier handling. The X1 with M Sport suspension delivered on all fronts, and then some. Of course, it's a considerable amount more as well.

From a financial aspect, I got $22k for the trade-in and $9.5k off of MSRP as a result of option credits, corporate fleet discount, and last year's model (very few 2016s left in inventory). Plus, significant increases in my financial situation justified the price point that I wouldn't have considered otherwise.

Lastly, my wife is going for a M2 this year. We like to own vehicles of the same make as corny as it sounds. We'll be keeping her Mazda3 as a daily though.

I have a weird love for CUVs. I've always been a fan of hatchbacks, but enjoy something a little larger without getting into SUV territory.

I had my gripes with the CX-5, and those eventually outweighed my enjoyment of the vehicle. I was itching for something with much more power, more refinement, and sportier handling. The X1 with M Sport suspension delivered on all fronts, and then some. Of course, it's a considerable amount more as well.

From a financial aspect, I got $22k for the trade-in and $9.5k off of MSRP as a result of option credits, corporate fleet discount, and last year's model (very few 2016s left in inventory). Plus, significant increases in my financial situation justified the price point that I wouldn't have considered otherwise.

Lastly, my wife is going for a M2 this year. We like to own vehicles of the same make as corny as it sounds. We'll be keeping her Mazda3 as a daily though.
Makes sense. Other than the oddly OCD aspect of it, why not the GLK350? It stomps all over the BMW except maybe in cargo space, and I am unsure how they stack up, there.

We shopped the X1 when I totaled my wife's 2014 CX-5. My wife didn't like it much, and for the money, I didn't think much of it. I was relieved with my wife's reaction. I must admit though, I have my hangups about "BMW SUVs," and pretty much vowed never to get one. LOL

Why not DD the M2? I DD my M4, even have OEM snow tire kit, it's not a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider.(poke)(rlaugh)

Last edited:
We shopped the X1 when I totaled my wife's 2014 CX-5. My wife didn't like it much, and for the money, I didn't think much of it. I was relieved with my wife's reaction. I must admit though, I have my hangups about "BMW SUVs," and pretty much vowed never to get one. LOL

Why not DD the M2? I DD my M4, even have OEM snow tire kit, it's not a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider.(poke)(rlaugh)

M4 is too luxurious not to DD. If you don't DD it, you wasted a lot of money on a mediocre performing car that you're not taking advantage of because you're cheating yourself out of the luxury.

M4 is too luxurious not to DD. If you don't DD it, you wasted a lot of money on a mediocre performing car that you're not taking advantage of because you're cheating yourself out of the luxury.

(rlaugh)I don't consider it a luxury car per se. I would have gotten a M550 if that was what I was going for. I do get folks pulling up next to me on the autobahn on occasion. Although I wish the M-Badge was bigger and there were more of them. (wink) There's a lot of intangibles that come with my selection though. I wouldn't consider even higher performing cars not named Porsche or Mas.

Last edited:
(rlaugh)I don't consider it a luxury car per se. I would have gotten a M550 if that was what I was going for. I do get folks pulling up next to me on the autobahn on occasion. Although I wish the M-Badge was bigger and there were more of them. (wink) There's a lot of intangibles that come with my selection though. I wouldn't consider even higher performing cars not named Porsche or Mas.

I think Mas is junk, personally. Porsche? They are something I'd consider if I had the budget. M4 is one high maintenance beast, and so is Porsche, half dozen one or the other. Z06 if you want it on the cheap, which is what I did. Brakes, oil, etc. cheap as hell.

The X1 is in the CX3 range for size and capacity. The X3 is more of a size and capacity caparison to the CX5. I am jealous that you are getting your wife an M2, it's an awesome car and had a blast driving my buddies. I going to be ordering an M240 convertible in the fall keeping my 2011 328xdrive (currently 130,000 trouble free miles) as my winter DD. Next up will be the redesigned X3 for my wife giving our CX5 to my daughter since I am a first time grandpa and she is carting my grandson around in a chevy spark! I also for years have always had the same brands, Nissan being the last. Good luck with the X1, you will enjoy the additional power.

Very nice. $22k for your trade is pretty spectacular. Is that how much you expected?

(In my area, a 2016 Touring AWD has a trade-in value less than 20k according to KBB.)

You will love the new X1. Congrats!

Last edited:
Very nice. $22k for your trade is pretty spectacular. Is that how much you expected?

(In my area, a 2016 Touring AWD has a trade-in value less than 20k according to KBB.)

I got my 2015 Touring AWD for $21,9xx and got $2K over KBB trade on my Jeep. CX5's dont hold much value. Mine is worth like $15k now, lol

Makes sense. Other than the oddly OCD aspect of it, why not the GLK350? It stomps all over the BMW except maybe in cargo space, and I am unsure how they stack up, there.

I checked out the GLC/GLA along with the Q5 and Range Rover Evoque. None of them really stood out to me as far as driving characteristics and such. What drew me to the X1 is it feels like a hatchback on steroids. Combined with the 2.0 and very fast twin scrolling turbo, it's just a blast to drive. Cargo space has never concerned me, so the smaller capacity there wasn't considered.

I'm 6'7" and needed something with plenty of headroom and legroom that I could fit in.

I understand they go against the core values of a lot of BMW purists. Personally, I'm glad they offer them since I really wasn't wanting to go for a larger sedan.

Daily was probably the incorrect word for the Mazda3, hah! I think "winter rat" will be more appropriate. My wife will probably drive the M2 most of the Spring, Summer, and Fall unless there's a chance of hail or tornadoes on the forecast (it is Kansas, after all). Winters around here can be hit or miss, and she's planning on just rocking the Mazda3 on some Blizzaks instead of winterizing the Bimmer. Plus, we have the X1 whenever we're not commuting.

The X1 is in the CX3 range for size and capacity. The X3 is more of a size and capacity caparison to the CX5. I am jealous that you are getting your wife an M2, it's an awesome car and had a blast driving my buddies. I going to be ordering an M240 convertible in the fall keeping my 2011 328xdrive (currently 130,000 trouble free miles) as my winter DD. Next up will be the redesigned X3 for my wife giving our CX5 to my daughter since I am a first time grandpa and she is carting my grandson around in a chevy spark! I also for years have always had the same brands, Nissan being the last. Good luck with the X1, you will enjoy the additional power.

You know, I thought the same before I started reviewing the X1 prior to purchase. For cargo capacity, it's definitely closer to the CX-3 seats up. That's honestly where the similarities end though. I'm 6'7" and really wanted something I could fit comfortably in that still has a sunroof. I couldn't even sit in a CX-3 without hitting my head, and the same went for the CX-5 with a sunroof (hence why I got the Touring). The X1, on the other hand, has a panoramic roof that goes outward when it opens, so there's no intrusion into the cabin space. The numbers below speak for themselves. :)

BMW X1 Front Headroom: 41.9

CX-5 Headroom Front Without Moonroof: 40.1

BMW X1 Front Legroom: 40.4
CX-5 Front Legroom: 41.0

Since I'm a thin guy, these two numbers are the most critical for me. When I first laid eyes on the X1, I was alarmed by how small it looks. Sitting in it, it became apparent that it really isn't that small.

For a size comparison as far as exterior, here's some fun numbers. It's much larger than a CX-3, but not quite a CX-5 as far as size.

BMW X1 Length: 175.4
Mazda CX-5 Length: 178.7

BMW X1 Width: 71.7
Mazda CX-5 Width: 72.4

BMW X1 Height: 62.9
Mazda CX-5 Height: 65.7

BMW X1 Ground Clearance: 7.2
Mazda CX-5 Ground Clearance: 8.5?

That's a nice winter DD, and the convertible will be sweet as well. My wife was considering the convertible at first, but decided to just go the M2 couple route instead. Good to hear high praise for that car! I know she's counting down the days. We're doing the European Delivery, so planning our trip for later next year when we can both get off work.

The added power of the X1 is definitely noticeable. I didn't really get on it when I test drove it prior to purchase since I purchased it in the middle of a snowstorm (that was fun). Had the chance to finally stomp on it recently, and it took me off guard.

I went in with a minimum amount I'd accept of $20k since my 2016.5 Touring AWD only had 6.5k miles on it. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised at the trade-in number combined with the final negotiated price. I'm not complaining though since I didn't really lose much with the short ownership.

And, thanks! Had it for about a month now and definitely enjoying it.

I got my 2015 Touring AWD for $21,9xx and got $2K over KBB trade on my Jeep. CX5's dont hold much value. Mine is worth like $15k now, lol

I valued mine at right around $20k on KBB proir to trade-in. The value they offered took me off-guard. Definitely not complaining with the end result though.

Last edited:

Only economy CUVs that outdo CX-5 in terms of holding value are Forester and Honda CRV. Rogue and Rav4 lose out due to tons of rental fleet sales.
Mazda 3 rips apart all compact sedans in resale with the exception of Subaru and Civic (Civic is sort of tied though).

Only economy CUVs that outdo CX-5 in terms of holding value are Forester and Honda CRV. Rogue and Rav4 lose out due to tons of rental fleet sales.
Mazda 3 rips apart all compact sedans in resale with the exception of Subaru and Civic (Civic is sort of tied though).

Well, the Rogue doesn't surprise me. It's a piece of s***. The RAV4 does, though. Frankly, I bought this thing to drive it until someone GAP'ed it for me, or it became no-longer economical due to repairs costing more than the note on a replacement (I hope that's 10+ years from now).

I valued mine at right around $20k on KBB proir to trade-in. The value they offered took me off-guard. Definitely not complaining with the end result though.

That's awesome. I'd say probably almost always it's the other way around lol But congrats on the new ride.

Maybe yours was beat up or something because after 27 months I got $24K when I traded my '15 front drive GT with 28,000 miles on it.

Well, the Rogue doesn't surprise me. It's a piece of s***. The RAV4 does, though. Frankly, I bought this thing to drive it until someone GAP'ed it for me, or it became no-longer economical due to repairs costing more than the note on a replacement (I hope that's 10+ years from now).
Rogue was a direct competitor to CX5 for me, thankfully I did not go that route. Its funny how you see a lot of 2014 onward Rav4s from Hertz - nothing wrong with these cars its just that it pushes the market down for Toyota owners.
In long run CX5 and Rav4 both should be fine.

Maybe yours was beat up or something because after 27 months I got $24K when I traded my '15 front drive GT with 28,000 miles on it.

Maybe it wasn't. I have not actually tried to trade it in, just quoting what KBB states about the matter. You don't really drive much, so that's a factor in trade-in, too, somewhat.

Rogue was a direct competitor to CX5 for me, thankfully I did not go that route. Its funny how you see a lot of 2014 onward Rav4s from Hertz - nothing wrong with these cars its just that it pushes the market down for Toyota owners.
In long run CX5 and Rav4 both should be fine.

How? My CX-5 is a former rental. Been a great vehicle so far. Got almost 60K miles on it. Most of them mine.

How? My CX-5 is a former rental. Been a great vehicle so far. Got almost 60K miles on it. Most of them mine.
Hertz bulk buys for cheap, they have to offload to bring in new models. So now supply is full for one to two years old rav4s. Few are sold at auction and hertz sells directly. So your Rav4 now competes with Hertz listings and they price it to sell. If you keep your rav4 for 10 years it will even out, assuming EVs don't ruin the demand for ICE in 10 years. But it hurts resale for 1-3 years.
In case of Mazda rental company does not get a huge discount so effect is not pronounced plus very few Mazda rentals.
Hyundai suffers from this issue as well.

Back