2017 Mazda CX-5 details on Mazda Website

Front end looks like a recent edition that got stoned. All in all, a nice update of what was a great looking design to begin with

I hate those navi units that stick up like a stadium scoreboard though

I'd consider updating from my 2014 now except that the few dealerships here are so bad that I would never buy one of these great cars again.

Nice to see they finally raised the center console and armrest up to the level it's supposed to be in a crossover (a la CX-9). Not down low like the first gen (a la Mazda3).

That's been there for like a month...
Sorry if I missed your post... I did not see any threads directly titled and linking to the official details.

Front end looks like a recent edition that got stoned. All in all, a nice update of what was a great looking design to begin with

I'd consider updating from my 2014 now except that the few dealerships here are so bad that I would never buy one of these great cars again.

The central display is in the same height as previous generations, they just lowered the dash around it. The lowered dashtop surface does a lot to increase the feel of openness and visibility from the cockpit.

Sorry that you don't have a good dealer nearby... That really is important. Hopefully you reported your dissatisfaction to Mazda.

Nice to see they finally raised the center console and armrest up to the level it's supposed to be in a crossover (a la CX-9). Not down low like the first gen (a la Mazda3).
Yes, I am thinking that they possibly might be elevating the cx-5 to a more CUV/SUV status, in order to create a larger niche for a more performance "Sportwagon" like the CX-4, to slot in-between.

Last edited:
I think the only thing I don't like about '17 is reduced ground clearance. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't it lose an inch or so?

I hate those navi units that stick up like a stadium scoreboard though.

Me too, especially since you can no longer go aftermarket with a double-DIN. My 2016 has outstanding audio and Carplay/Android Auto that works.
Two things that finalized my purchase decision was the availability of a manual tranny and the ability to upgrade/replace the audio/infotainment.

Me too, especially since you can no longer go aftermarket with a double-DIN. My 2016 has outstanding audio and Carplay/Android Auto that works.
Two things that finalized my purchase decision was the availability of a manual tranny and the ability to upgrade/replace the audio/infotainment.
I don't like it either. By doing this it essentially kills aftermarket products which offer excellent functionalities!

Anyone have the inside scoop on when dealers will receive the 2017s? Website linked by OP just says "Spring 2017" and the default CX-5 page still directs to the 2016.5 model.

Anyone have the inside scoop on when dealers will receive the 2017s? Website linked by OP just says "Spring 2017" and the default CX-5 page still directs to the 2016.5 model.
Based on the announce date and release date of 2nd-gen CX-9 last year, my guess is some time in May we should see 2nd-gen CX-5 for sale in US market.

Based on the announce date and release date of 2nd-gen CX-9 last year, my guess is some time in May we should see 2nd-gen CX-5 for sale in US market.

I asked a dealer in San Francisco who told me they will arrive in April.

It makes absolute sense that a display that you might spend more time engaging with than any other controls in the car is positioned with the view of the road in the background.

It makes absolute sense that a display that you might spend more time engaging with than any other controls in the car is positioned with the view of the road in the background.

I totally agree. There's beginning to be too many distractions whilst driving. Eyes should be on the road and not fiddling about with text messages, facebook, twitter and any other "social" app you can care to name. Reserve this rubbish for when the roads are full 100% of self driving cars.

Back