Grif's White P5

Leather seat skins installed! Such a pain in the ass, but I absolutely loveee it. Check out JP Parts Iernational Ltd. if yall ever need protege parts; got my roof rack delete strips from him too.
The intermittent starting somewhat went away... I've only had it occur twice since I swapped out the ignition switch. But rather than continually turning it a dozen times til it starts, I only have to do it twice... will work with it for now lol.
Wheels also come in this week! So stoked.

HRB7Zwq.jpg

PoqN6AZ.jpg

I had a starting issue a while back. Turned out the wiring for the crank sensor had chaffed through and was grounding out on the lifting eyelet closest to the timing cover. That plug there goes down to the crank sensor. Could be worth looking into. Or perhaps the eye is dirty or getting close to out of adjustment. Finally, check the fuel pump relay. Its under the hood in front of drivers strut tower. They get hot and the pins get dirty and/or corroded making poor contact. Easy things to check and doesn't cost anything to look.

@sleeprp5
The ignition switch swap seemed to work, haven't had problems since. If it does occur again I will look into that!

@lankykiwi
I was surprised at the condition! Although on hard turns I'd be using my knee to keep me in place lol.

Here's a couple pics of the new wheels/going a bit lower.
Getting an alignment in the morning.

uDwKEur.jpg

lb40ZVx.jpg

Went with 205/40... wish I went with something like 215/45 >_>

friend bought a new daily and stopped by, thought i'd snap a few pics haha.
getting my car all legal for safety inspection so i'm somewhat making it stock to pass, then once i get it back to how it was the modding will continue!

nGJ2J4Y.jpg

01nljpg.jpg

Tell your pal he made a good choice, and also tell him to pray his P5 doesn't let loose an absolute avalanche of problems like mine!!

Gotta say man, your P5 is persuading me to find a MSP lip. Looks really nice on these wagons. Those wheels are really nice, too. If I ever got another set of wheels, they'd be some nice RPF1s, and my Konigs would become the daily wheels.

@Riot_Polizei
So far he absolutely loves it, cleanest protege I've seen so far.. told him I'd buy it (and keep as a daily) if he ever decides to sell it.
But i think NaturalFlavored is selling a MSP Lip :p
RPF1's would be my next choice as well haha

@Dpwhitehead1
Agreed!

Got this list waiting to be done, have most of the parts:

Starter (Oddly enough, the moment I received the starter in the mail, my starting problems went away. Not sure if it was because of the new ignition switch? Have it sitting here now wondering if I should just install it)
Headlight wiring (connections are burnt up)
HID kit via DDM
Header donut ring gasket (not running a gasket atm)
Header bolts/springs
Rear camber bolts (bought a new set to make sure everything is on point. current ones are worn down)
AWR rear motor mount (don't feel like attacking this yet)
AWR mount inserts (I want less vibrations ...)

Replaced the spring bolts for the headers last night. The OEM donut ring gasket thing did not fit (the manzo headers have some donut thing already going), also tried making my own gasket out of a sheet.

GN2pnad.jpg

Still can feel air coming out of the top of the connection and it still sounds raspy/crappy.
Picture looks like the pipe before the cat (I really don't know the name of it. I'm a newbie with exhaust stuff) has a bent lip; the header's lip looks straight and fine.

Friend suggested heating it up and bending it.. suggestions? Or maybe I'll just buy that whole midpipe/cat section and replace it.. aftermarket ideas?

UHqhcao.jpg

vqF6jBh.jpg

Hmmmmm, the pressed steel flange will be a heap easier to bend than the place flange, can you get that section out of the car? Then you can tweak it gently with a BFH.

Otherwise you could replace the spring bolts with standard bolts and tighten them allllllll the way up until the flanges are flat, might run in to issues with them loosening off after a while.

Otherwise, a bit of exhaust gasket cement will help as well

Hey, I ran into a problem with my header flange pipe not connecting to the midpipe before, and I found out that it was because my dang spring bolts had too low of a spring constant. To remedy this, I stacked a bunch of washers in front of the spring, tightened it as hard as I could, and have since completely eliminated any and all leaks!

For you, this can help bend the flange pipe back into it's normal position using natural forces. Think it'll work for you?

Shoot, I might give that washer thing a try. Thanks for the replies guys :)
Was considering just getting a whole new midpipe etc then be done with the exhaust setup. We'll see in time!

Snapped a random pic today, got the coilovers all set at the height I want. No rubbing on hard turns etc :D

FyV6NMm.jpg

I say, cut the flanges off and do this.

It worked for me!! lol

Last edited:
Got the leak fixed! Actually turned out to be two exhaust leaks; the guy there pointed out that the hanger on my exhaust broke off so they welded that back on too.
They got the donut gasket in after some work, no more leaks! It sounds great again.

Recently turned my attention to a different build for a bit. Put some money towards building a new PC. Will continue the car mods again soon! Looking to throw on a subaru lip up front pending on clearance.

Some pics of the other 'build':

hjVbD6K.jpg

dTD4FRo.jpg

Good to hear you got your leak fix! It's such a relief to not have to cringe anytime you drive your car around. Where was the second leak? If your hanger broke off, thus crunching the top of the donut gasket at the header -> midpipe connection, I'd imagine you probably had a leak in the midpipe -> resonator connection.

And sweet PC, what are your specs? My gaming computer's getting quite old now...I built it 5-6 years ago, and I'm riding that i5 4670k as far as it can go. If I would've put a little more thought into it, I would've held off for a socket type different from LGA1150. That way, I wouldn't of hit a physical limit on processor/RAM/Memory upgrades on my motherboard lol!

Where the headers met the.. front pipe? Where you put the donut gasket in. Sorry I'm terrible at exhaust stuff haha.

Thanks! Finally got to upgrade my low end i3-8100/1050 ti build haha.

i7 9700k overclocked to 5.0 GHz
ASRock Phantom Z390 mITX motherboard
Corsair H100i Pro AIO
Corsair LPX 2x16GB 3000mhz RAM
1 TB Inland Premium NVME M.2/Samsung Evo 500GB 2.5" SSD
EVGA 2080 Black
Raijintek Ophion Evo case
Corsair SF 750W Platinum
3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans
Just recently modded the front panel and added in a little 40mm Noctua fan as an intake. I had a freak accident with the front USB ports and accidentally destroyed the cable, so I removed it and decided to put a fan there lol. I use a USB hub mostly anyways.

Dang that is quite a dated build haha. Bit stuck there with 1150 so definitely gonna have to upgrade everything, but if you're planning on building another one.. black friday/cyber monday coming up!
Although I always find the best deals on parts 2-4 weeks before those days.

Looking to do a few things in the upcoming days.. swapping back to OEM motor mounts. Quite sick of the vibrations as I'm usually sitting in the car at idle or in slow traffic.
Although they feel quite nice in regards to performance, I just can't bear it anymore in the only car I drive daily lol.
Will likely part out the AWR mounts (& Hydra front mount); preferably as a set. Rear was unused and the front 3 were used for roughly several months.
Also have the pass/driver inserts (they sent me an extra insert for one of the sides) which I may or may not keep.
Starter will have to wait, I feel that will take longer than I expect it to.

Bp0MmBw.jpg

Back