Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Navigation won't start

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5 GT AWD

Navigation won't start

I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT. Probably two thirds of the time, the navigation fails to start. The loading screen just keeps spinning.

This past weekend, I took the vehicle in for service and firmware 59.00.441 was installed. I was told this would fix the problem.

I tested the nav three times before leaving the dealership, and all seemed well. Last night, the nav again refused to boot. I tried a system reset (hold return, nav and mute) and the nav did then start. However, on my commute this morning, once again the nav refuses to start. I get the spinning loading screen, and then after a few minutes the infotainment system reboots. Infuriating.

Anyone else experienced this problem? Any tips or tricks to getting this thing to work reliably?

Registered Member

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Sounds like a hardware problem and not a firmware issue. It happens, take it back in and get them to replace the unit itself.....

Registered Member

Mazda 2016 CX-5

Hardware problem no doubt. I've never had that issue with my 2016

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Navigation won't start

Quote Originally Posted by Tccox View Post
    Hardware problem no doubt. I've never had that issue with my 2016
    Yeah my 2016 had ever had that issue until a couple of months ago. It failed to load, then now the system says I don't have navigation system! And I've never had the issue of rebooting either. But just last weekend my infotainment system suddenly stopped playing a song from the memory stick, then eventually rebooted by itself!u

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

The issue could be a bad/marginal connection with the Nav's SD card. With the ignition off remove the card and inspect the contacts on the card. Are they nice and shinny? A pencil eraser will clean them if needed. Eject it and reinsert it a couple of times and see if this fixes the issue.

A better solution for this type of thing is to get some high quality contact cleaner (that's safe for plastics) and use it.

Here's the best stuff out there.

https://smile.amazon.com/Booster-Ele...eywords=deoxit
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    The issue could be a bad/marginal connection with the Nav's SD card. With the ignition off remove the card and inspect the contacts on the card. Are they nice and shinny? A pencil eraser will clean them if needed. Eject it and reinsert it a couple of times and see if this fixes the issue.

A better solution for this type of thing is to get some high quality contact cleaner (that's safe for plastics) and use it.

Yeah, I would focus on that SDcard... That's my biggest fear is when the SDcard decides to poop out as they frequently do. At least SDHC is not quite as prone to dying as the SDmicro...

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post

Hmmm. Just looked at the contacts, and they definitely show some oxidation. I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

CX5 Akera 2.2 Diesel

Yes try cleaning those card contacts.

We have had the same issue with some marine GPS systems, cleaning both the cards contacts and the contacts in the slot it goes into fixed our problems.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech

The Infotainment system on my 2016 GT + Tech crapped on me last year with the dreaded boot loop that the OP describes. The dealer couldn't access the system to reinstall the software so he ordered a new unit under warranty. 3 days later, he installed it at no cost to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Yes try cleaning those card contacts.

We have had the same issue with some marine GPS systems, cleaning both the cards contacts and the contacts in the slot it goes into fixed our problems.
    Although I have never tried it I think that cleaning the contacts inside of the card slot might prove difficult. If contact cleaner is applied to the contacts of the card and then the card is inserted and ejected a couple of times the contacts inside the slot will also get cleaned. Another application of contact cleaner to the card might be needed.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5 GT AWD

Knock on wood, the unit has been working reliably since I cleaned the contacts with DeoxIT.

There you go.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $10

Buyer of stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by NumeroHuevo View Post
    Knock on wood, the unit has been working reliably since I cleaned the contacts with DeoxIT.
    Maybe you should drop by the dealer and fill them in the fix.......

Sam
    2016.5 CX-5 FWD Grand Touring...White w/parchment
    2016 Ram 3500 coal burner.....and 3 dogs.