2016 CX-9 Aftermarket Roof Rails?

relevante

:
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring
Has anyone had any success getting an aftermarket roof rail set that fits the 2016 GT with roof rails? Specifically I want either the Yakima Whispbar or Thule Aeroblade Edge, but I keep hearing that it's coming soon from both manufacturers. It seems fairly likely to me that the necessary components are already out there though, they just don't have the official recommendations yet and I haven't taken the time yet to try to go to a store and see if someone will help. Has anyone else?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any success getting an aftermarket roof rail set that fits the 2016 GT with roof rails?
Sounds like you want cross bars, not roof rails.

My GT came with roof rails so I ordered the OEM cross bars. They are solid and quiet but are disturbingly close together, only about 30" apart. My neighbor came over and saw them and remarked that it seems silly to have roof rails that only have a single fixed mounting position and no way to slide the cross bars back and forth.

I'll make do with them but if was more serious about carrying stuff on top I'd probably either figure out some way to mount them much further apart or else take the roof rails off and attach some aero feet directly to the roof.

Let us know if you find anything interesting!

Yes you're right. I have rails. Need cross bars. I already have a box and the hardware to connect to the T-slot bars that Thule, etc make, which is why I passed on the OEM option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best situation (in my opinion) would be if the Thule cross bars could be mounted anywhere along the roof rail. It would be easy enough to drill some holes in it, but I don't know if the rails are engineered to handle loads at any point except where the standard fittings are.

There's a guy near here (Ventura, California) that everyone goes to for racks - they say he specializes in fastening long boats and boards to small cars. If he has any ideas, I wouldn't mind starting over with new cross bars.

The best situation (in my opinion) would be if the Thule cross bars could be mounted anywhere along the roof rail. It would be easy enough to drill some holes in it, but I don't know if the rails are engineered to handle loads at any point except where the standard fittings are.

There's a guy near here (Ventura, California) that everyone goes to for racks - they say he specializes in fastening long boats and boards to small cars. If he has any ideas, I wouldn't mind starting over with new cross bars.

Yeah that's what I was hoping. The cross bars I used with the box before were BMW branded (used them on a 3-series wagon) but I think were made by Thule. They just clamped to the factory rails on the car, no drilling required, and were rock solid, even with a big box going 80+mph on the freeway. I'm hoping to find something similar for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am patiently waiting for Yakima to verify their setup since I already have bike and snowboard carriers to be used with their round bars It looks like it will eventually be the Ridgeline bases, but want them to confirm it first.

I like to mount my snowboards outside of the bindings for maximum stability but because the OEM crossbars are not far enough, I can't do this. I'm also now waiting for confirmations from Yakima or Thule for their solutions. Hopefully they will do this soon.

I purchased the mazda ones but the issue I have is that the cargo box and bike racks will not clamp on to them. I need a cross bar that is thinner or some sort of adapter for the bike rack and cargo box. The cargo box uses a U shaped bolt that goes around the cross bar and then up in to the Cargo box.

I purchased the mazda ones but the issue I have is that the cargo box and bike racks will not clamp on to them. ...
I'm sure that there is some sort of fitting that allows your rack and box to work with various types of cross bars. I'm glad I didn't know how the racks worked before I bought my CX-9 GT, because I would have definitely wanted one without rack rails so that I could bolt aero-feet directly to the roof. If I had started down that road, I probably still wouldn't have my car!

Why Mazda designed the roof rails and cross bars to be non-adjustable is beyond me.

Any luck with your local installer?

Back