Grease for brake caliper pin?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
hi guys, what do you guys use for brake caliper pin to make sure it slides smoothly ?

I found this online.... NAPA sil-glyde ? I want to make sure it doesn't cause rubber "swelling" but still also provide good lubrication

my friend made the big mistake of using this in his caliper pins, what a disaster, the red stuff got hard due to heat and really jammed up the pins....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
hi guys, what do you guys use for brake caliper pin to make sure it slides smoothly ?

I found this online.... NAPA sil-glyde ? I want to make sure it doesn't cause rubber "swelling" but still also provide good lubrication

my friend made the big mistake of using this in his caliper pins, what a disaster, the red stuff got hard due to heat and really jammed up the pins....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

thanks in advance.
Do a search, you'll find numerous threads on the subject. Your friend probably shouldn't be touching that part of the vehicle.

Do a search, you'll find numerous threads on the subject. Your friend probably shouldn't be touching that part of the vehicle.

+1 Why in the world would your friend use Disc Brake Quiet to lube the caliper pins?

Found that mine did not need any extra grease on them when I did my fronts/backs. The caliper grease packet at autzone will do it. If you buy a large bottle like that most will go unused unless you do brake jobs for work.

DO NOT use any black or red "caliper" grease... they are petroleum based and are for the pad shims
use ONLY silicone grease for the slider pins... dielectric (is silicone) grease works great too

Dielectric Grease is my recommendation. Can get it in larger tubes and can be used on almost everything from brakes, electrical connectors, lubing o-rings for AC repair or similar...List goes on...

Also in the product description: "Typical applications: excellent release agent and lubricant for rubber and plastic parts, o-rings, valves, plastic gears."
So where exactly is this good for? Appears to be a lubricant for plastic parts.

probably good for the caliper/caliper pin rubber boot area, I've never tried this product before though,

I always use NAPA Sil Glyde for caliper pins with no issues

(Sil Glyde won't swell up the rubber unlike the Permatex green caliper grease)

Last edited:
When it comes to caliper pins, you are not looking for a lubricant really, what your looking for is a compound to encapsulate the pin with a viscus material that wont allow water in. Silicon is impervious to water. Grease, not so much. So silicon has enough lubrication properties to keep the pins happy. But your right, there are better lubrication materials out there. You would never pack wheel bearings with silicon grease. But your just looking to "pickle" the pin in a viscus material so water does not get in, that would cause corrosion, seizing the pin, and stopping the self centering function of the caliper to the rotor to occur.

that sil-glyde looks like good stuff though. Wonder if its Silicon grease with moly to help lube? Might have to check that stuff out

EDIT: looks good!! (ags makes it for napa)
http://agscompany.com/product/sil-glyde-silicone-brake-lubricant-tube-4-oz/

Last edited:
Also in the product description: "Typical applications: excellent release agent and lubricant for rubber and plastic parts, o-rings, valves, plastic gears."
So where exactly is this good for? Appears to be a lubricant for plastic parts.

If you look at 90% of the shop manuals for cars sold in the usa, Toyota, Honda, Mazda (Mazda says "rubber grease") they specify 100% silicon grease for brake caliper pins, thats what its good for. (spank)

Honestly the packet is like $3 at autozone and is enough for one axle. Or you can buy the tube. Its green. I used the autozone brand in the grey packet and no squeakimg front or back when I changed my front/rear rotor and pads. http://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...matex-ultra-disc-brake-caliper-lube/10772_0_0

Last edited:
HONESTLY, you don't seem to have read or understood what we all wrote... that "packet" are for pad shims, NOT slider pins.... of course there's no "squeaking"! It doesn't even matter what the packaging says... it's been tried and it doesn't work for slider pins... they dry up and get baked in, making it worse than not even using any grease on the slider pins at all!
This thread is about slider pins, not brake squeaking!

Don't give bad advice if you don't know what you're talking about, ok?

Last edited:
cache.php

... that "packet" are for pad shims, NOT slider pins.... of course there's no "squeaking"! It doesn't even matter what the packaging says... it's been tried and it doesn't work for slider pins... they dry up and get baked in, making it worse than not even using any grease on the slider pins at all!

+1 Agreed, the Permatex green stuff SHOULD NOT BE USED for caliper pins,

I learned the hard way, it will swell up the rubber boot and make it impossible to re-install, dirt will get into the pin shaft.
Also, the swelled rubber will cause the caliper pin to stick causing squeal and rotor wear.

SIL GLYDE is the best for caliper pins, no rubber swelling and no turning hard under high temps

Last edited:
HONESTLY, you don't seem to have read or understood what we all wrote... that "packet" are for pad shims, NOT slider pins.... of course there's no "squeaking"! It doesn't even matter what the packaging says... it's been tried and it doesn't work for slider pins... they dry up and get baked in, making it worse than not even using any grease on the slider pins at all!

Don't give bad advice if you don't know what you're talking about, ok?

Funny, because the OEM grease doesn't look like any of the clear silicon pin lubes, in fact it looks a lot like permatex green, with a brownish tinge after use of course. I mean, the service manual doesn't specific a "silicon only" (in fact it says "rubber grease")

You conveniently linked ONE bad review, from 2012 from a guy with a 1986 Subie; I doubt the rubber used in the 2015 Mazda is the same quality/composition as the rubber used in his old subie as the OP in that link mentions (with who knows how old brake parts).. Why don't you link the entire item, where it shows the overwhelming positive reviews, mostly on recent cars https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)., instead of direct linking one poor review, that conveniently hides the rest.

For most if there is swelling it's probably from over application. Meanwhile, further searching on the product shows little evidence of "it caused damage". Most of the feedback is actually very positive. If anything, you are the giving bad advice and spreading angst, and by your selective review picking it's pretty obvious. I'd bet 10 instances of "I use this all the time", "I use this on multiple vehicles", "Works great" etc for every one or less negative post regarding the product, that isn't just repeating what someone else said about the product being potentially damaging. And the negative post is probably from someone with an old ass car too (another topic often mentioned when talking about petroleum/vs silicon lube on the rubber part. If you look around Amazon (since you posted from there and they have reviews), look at the other permatex brake quiets while you are at it. These commenters pretty much are listing 2000+ cars not some 1985 car. I guarantee I stress my brakes more than the vast majority of the users in this forum so, I'll get back to you if my boot swells.

Last edited:
The other factor is where people live. I have lived in Mn and Alaska most of my life. But in Minnesota especially we battle salty roads, and snowy frizzing moisture. Its an endless battle. Brake lines, suspension bolts, etc etc get so corroded that many times we just cut stuff off and replace, kinda sucks. Thats why I anti-seize EVERYTHING on the exterior of EVERYTHING I own. So maybe in some parts of the country a guy could reassemble the caliper pins DRY and the owner would be ok, in other places grease, and where I have lived max water repellent is needed. just a theory, different strokes for different folks.

Back