Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: grease for brake caliper pin ?

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD

I've been using this stuff for years, mainly because I have a big tube of it. I never really looked into the silicone lubricants that much, but there have been a few references to them on this forum.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Brake-Cal...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Registered Member

2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post

... that "packet" are for pad shims, NOT slider pins.... of course there's no "squeaking"! It doesn't even matter what the packaging says... it's been tried and it doesn't work for slider pins... they dry up and get baked in, making it worse than not even using any grease on the slider pins at all!
    This thread is about slider pins, not brake squeaking!
    +1 Agreed, the Permatex green stuff SHOULD NOT BE USED for caliper pins,

I learned the hard way, it will swell up the rubber boot and make it impossible to re-install, dirt will get into the pin shaft.
    Also, the swelled rubber will cause the caliper pin to stick causing squeal and rotor wear.

SIL GLYDE is the best for caliper pins, no rubber swelling and no turning hard under high temps
    Last edited by batmancx; 01-17-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-5 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

HONESTLY, you don't seem to have read or understood what we all wrote... that "packet" are for pad shims, NOT slider pins.... of course there's no "squeaking"! It doesn't even matter what the packaging says... it's been tried and it doesn't work for slider pins... they dry up and get baked in, making it worse than not even using any grease on the slider pins at all!
    This thread is about slider pins, not brake squeaking!

Don't give bad advice if you don't know what you're talking about, ok?

that shit even destroys rubber seals
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R19SBD3G07M6T4
    Funny, because the OEM grease doesn't look like any of the clear silicon pin lubes, in fact it looks a lot like permatex green, with a brownish tinge after use of course. I mean, the service manual doesn't specific a "silicon only" (in fact it says "rubber grease")

You conveniently linked ONE bad review, from 2012 from a guy with a 1986 Subie; I doubt the rubber used in the 2015 Mazda is the same quality/composition as the rubber used in his old subie as the OP in that link mentions (with who knows how old brake parts).. Why don't you link the entire item, where it shows the overwhelming positive reviews, mostly on recent cars https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-2411...cm_rdp_product., instead of direct linking one poor review, that conveniently hides the rest.

For most if there is swelling it's probably from over application. Meanwhile, further searching on the product shows little evidence of "it caused damage". Most of the feedback is actually very positive. If anything, you are the giving bad advice and spreading angst, and by your selective review picking it's pretty obvious. I'd bet 10 instances of "I use this all the time", "I use this on multiple vehicles", "Works great" etc for every one or less negative post regarding the product, that isn't just repeating what someone else said about the product being potentially damaging. And the negative post is probably from someone with an old ass car too (another topic often mentioned when talking about petroleum/vs silicon lube on the rubber part. If you look around Amazon (since you posted from there and they have reviews), look at the other permatex brake quiets while you are at it. These commenters pretty much are listing 2000+ cars not some 1985 car. I guarantee I stress my brakes more than the vast majority of the users in this forum so, I'll get back to you if my boot swells.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2016.5 CX-5 Touring

The other factor is where people live. I have lived in Mn and Alaska most of my life. But in Minnesota especially we battle salty roads, and snowy frizzing moisture. Its an endless battle. Brake lines, suspension bolts, etc etc get so corroded that many times we just cut stuff off and replace, kinda sucks. Thats why I anti-seize EVERYTHING on the exterior of EVERYTHING I own. So maybe in some parts of the country a guy could reassemble the caliper pins DRY and the owner would be ok, in other places grease, and where I have lived max water repellent is needed. just a theory, different strokes for different folks.

Registered Member

Silver CX5

If you are lucky, you can ask CRC customer service or sales for a sample pack and it will include some stuff for you to try. Last time they gave me their entire line of brake service lubricants and cleaners for free!

Registered Member

Mazda cx-5

I never have tried any dedicated caliper lube but I have used other stuff. The worst idea ever was anti seize that gummed up really bad( it was the only thing I had to use at the time) For years I have just used a good synthetic grease like Valvoline synpower or lucas. I'm pretty anal when it come to brakes and learned a lot while racing a first gen rx7 in a class that didn't allow upgraded rotor or such just braided lines and pads of your choice witch we pushed those stock components to the limit and beyond constantly sometimes cracking a rotor a session depending on the weather and how hard you were fighting for position. The only time in the last 10 yrs I have had brake issues is when I have had a shop do the brakes on my work trucks due to being to busy to do them myself. Between my 3 trucks and other cars I've racked up about 600k miles in the last 10 yrs.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12