Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 48 month, 40,000 mile service

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring titanium/black

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Yeah I agree. Sometimes the maintenance schedule may not reflect the best maintenance for our vehicles. Nothing wrong to ask questions if you have any. For example, Mazda doesn't list ATF change interval in their maintenance schedule in owner's manual, and some dealers refuse to do it because of that. But when we use our experience and common sense, the so called "life-time" fluid simply doesn't exist! The "life-time" ATF is only good for the life of warranty period, 5 years or 60,000 miles, offered by Mazda. Honda does specify ATF change in their maintenance schedule. VW doesn't specify, but then people found out the "shelf life" stamped on the bottle for OEM VW ATF is only two years! And how can we expect this VW "life-time" ATF can last for the life of the automatic transmission?
    I don't know which VW you're referring to but VW TDIs had a OCI on the DSG of 40k miles.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member

2014 CX 5 Touring FWD

Cabin filter can be washed with a nylon brush, it's pretty tough material. Amazon sells filters for around $10.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Hose and belt changes are based on either mileage or time. Check the condition for these according to maintenance schedule, and replace them accordingly. Make sure to check serpentine belt tensioner for leakage too.

OP need not worry for a long time imho.

Our CX-5 should be paid off at around 80k miles. At that point I'm going to do a lot of DIY work. Now changing of belts and hoses I'll leave up to the dealership once I get a X% off coupon in the mail. I'll have hoses and coolant done at the same time too. Mazda coolant is supposed to be better as it does not corrode the oem hoses I've read.

Engine oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid/pads/rotors, filters, all these I'll do DIY. There are some grey areas for me though including:

Steering fluid, water pump, fuel filter. Not sure if these are easy to do. Well water pump could be done with belts?

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    OP need not worry for a long time imho.

Our CX-5 should be paid off at around 80k miles. At that point I'm going to do a lot of DIY work. Now changing of belts and hoses I'll leave up to the dealership once I get a X% off coupon in the mail. I'll have hoses and coolant done at the same time too. Mazda coolant is supposed to be better as it does not corrode the oem hoses I've read.

Engine oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid/pads/rotors, filters, all these I'll do DIY. There are some grey areas for me though including:

Steering fluid, water pump, fuel filter. Not sure if these are easy to do. Well water pump could be done with belts?
    Steering is electric, so no worries there.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow 48 month, 40,000 mile service

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    I don't know which VW you're referring to but VW TDIs had a OCI on the DSG of 40k miles.
    It's Tiptronic transmission on B5.5 Passat although mine is a V6 with stick shift. The Steptronic automatic transmission on my BMW E39 also uses "lifetime" ATF and has no ATF change interval.

Registered Member

CX-5, fwd auto

Thanks all. Other than what was mentioned could i skip dealer package which inspect susoensions steering etc.?

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    Steering is electric, so no worries there.
    Whoohoo. One less fluid change process to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12