Remote start and key fob??

sbronemann

:
2014 Meteor Grey Mazda 6 Touring
Looking at possibly getting a remote start for my 16.5 CX-5 Touring. Does a key fob need to be in the vehicle for the remote start to work? My in-laws recently bought a Nissan Rogue and had to buy another key fob and hide it in the car for the remote start to work.

Don't know if it's changed, but I have the remote start on my 2013 and the normal fob doesn't need to be in the car. I have a separate OEM remote start fob that is used to start the car. Seems odd to need to have the fob in the car - kinda defeats the purpose of having a remote starter it would seem.

So I may have been misunderstood. SO my in-laws had an aftermarket remote start put in their new Nissan Rogue. In order for the aftermarket remote start to function, they had to purchase a new factory fob(without remote start) to hide in the vehicle(I'm assuming to make it so the ignition would work). So that $300 remote starter plus the factory fob(which was like $200) turned out to be a pretty expensive add-on. Anybody have an aftermarket remote starter put in?

A wrapped fob is not required in the CX-5 but since there is no handoff the engine shuts off when a door is open after using a remote to start the vehicle.

I installed the Fortin MAZT1 EVO-ALL plus optional RF remote. The RF remote will start the car from a half mile away. The OEM fob will also start the car by pressing the lock button three times but it needs to be much closer to the vehicle.

The EVO-ALL with T-harness was $70 on Amazon. The Flash Link programmer which is required to program the key bypass is another $50. The optional RF remotes range from $50-$100 depending on whether one-way or two-way. Two-way remotes indicate whether the engine is started and running or not. So minimum is $120 plus an hour or two of time if you install it yourself. Prices will be much higher if professionally installed due to labor and markup.

The instructions are very detailed, the locations are easily accessible, the T-harness reduces hardware installation to two wire taps, a hood pin bypass jumper, and two optional wire taps for signal lights. It's easily tackled by someone with basic vehicle repair abilities and a little confidence. Programming is a bit lengthy but not difficult if you can precisely follow directions.

I had the Compustar RF-2W9000 in my 2016, total cost was $492. The installer used the iDataLink module so no key is needed to stay in the car (http://remotelystartedmn.com/faq).

The range is great, two-way remote shows if the car is locked or if the engine is on, it uses a AAA battery that can last for a month or two (I have plenty of LSD AAA, hate those Viper with internal Li-ion). The downside is I need to carry both fob as the RFID/authentication chip is inside the Mazda fob.

Normally, both key fobs can un/lock the doors. Once remotely started, only the Compustar fob can control the doors, and the engine will turn off when you open any doors (so that's another annoyance to have to start the car again). I heard there're better way of preventing thief, (e.g. stepping on the brake with the OEM fob nearby) so do your research homework.

Overall, the remote starter has been great, we also got it installed in two 2014 Accord's and they've been working fine (though, they don't shut down the engine when opening the doors as those cars don't have push-start button). The LCD screen could get scratched easily in a pocket with keys, just slap a phone screen protector on and no worry.

So, two things that could be better with my remote starter:
1. smaller fob, or reduce to one fob
2. a better way of authenticating to the fob instead of shutting the engine when doors open

I also installed the Fortin and it works great. The wiring is very simple with the harness. I have some pictures that I can post if you are interested.

Mike

I also installed the Fortin and it works great. The wiring is very simple with the harness. I have some pictures that I can post if you are interested.

Mike

Yes please do post it, I'm also thinking of adding this on my car. Is there anything special I need to consider before adding this?

Yes please do post it, I'm also thinking of adding this on my car. Is there anything special I need to consider before adding this?
Is your car push to start with automatic transmission? If so this is straight forward. I was worried about the wiring but that was simple. Follow the instructions from Fortin to the letter. They are very good.

1.Remove steering column cover.
2.Find 2 wire clusters and unclip by pushing on bottom clip.
3.Connect the wire harness to #2
4.Find data wire from #1 and strip wire to connect to harness. Don't cut the wire. Either use a crimp connector or soldier.
5. Make the hood bypass
6. Follow instructions to program.

I had trouble with the system finding the key. I called and they recommend removing the battery. That made the difference. They have great support at Fortin.

Mazda Cover removal-1.jpg
IMG_20161229_105556.jpg
IMG_20161229_112246.jpg
IMG_20161229_112538.jpg
IMG_20161229_120337.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a Viper installed. It does require a key fob installed. The engine does not shut off when doors are opened, only when brake is pressed if no other key fob is present. The built in one is only used to start the engine then the controller takes over and the fob is turned back off. No problems, very good distance even from inside a large arena with concrete and steel. Only inconvenience is that you must use the remote fob to open the door and only the drivers door unlocks. I use the one way remote and the wife uses the two way. Mine gets way more use and has very good battery life.
We purchased our CX through Costco and it came with a large credit voucher for use at the dealer. The extra fob was paid for with that.

Back