x DeadTaco x's P5 Build Thread

Glad to see you haven't given up! It'll all come together, just takes lots of patience... and money lol.

Patience I have, the money part is what keeps knocking on the door in my mind and trying to pull me from this haha.

But nothing worth doing is ever easy or cheap when it comes to these cars from what ive learned over the years 👍

So turns out the banjo fitting listed on the "How-To" thread is the wrong size. It's 12mm not 14mm like i have.

I leave for school on Saturday, and nowhere I know of can/will express ship a part like that.

Gonna try locally (but here in ND its hard to get anything that isnt truck-related) but if i strike out I have zero idea on how to run my water feed.

The banjo fitting on the back of the block for the water feed/oil cooler. Are you using the stock MSP setup?

For a kind of hack temporary setup you could run hoses from the outlets that go to the throttle body. Both could be your inlet and outlet.

I have the stock metal lines to the turbo but i didnt have the stock banjo fitting. I used that guide here and the banjo fitting was wrong.

Managed to find the right size locally though so now all thats left is finishing vac lines, FMIC mounting, ic piping, radiator install, plugging everything in, topping off of fluids, then she can start.

Finish line is in sight and stumbling. The rad is catching on the cold pipe causing the rad not to sit in its lower mounts (boo...).

Gonna take off cold pipe, put rad in, and hope/pray the cold pipe will still fit somehow..

So update, THE CAR RUNS! Woohoo!

Have two little oil leaks though, one at the oil sandwich plate and the other at the oil feed into the turbo.

Gonna tighten those down and actually drive my car again for the first time in almost a week..

You can do it just removing the hot pipe. Don't tighten it too much or it will be a b**** to remove. Easy to strip that nut on the oil feed.

You can do it just removing the hot pipe. Don't tighten it too much or it will be a b**** to remove. Easy to strip that nut on the oil feed.

Funny you say that, cuz thats exactly what i did. I managed to get hose and fitting out, got some RTV copper on it, and overtightened.

So now car leaks oil like a pig. Limped it home but i go back to college tomorrow so taking the spare car (2011 Scion tC) with me.

Gonna order new fitting and replace over Labor Day weekend.

Have the new fitting. Going to install today and hope for the best that i didn't ruin the female threads on the turbo.

I have Teflon tape and copper RTV. Ive read that teflon tape can flake and cause leaks on oil lines, so should I use RTV?

So pulled the fitting out to find that (somehow..) the casting around the oil inlet on the turbo broke.

Guess new turbo is in my future

36818476312_2e909f7914_z.jpg

36153919884_eb243fa9b8_z.jpg

So you can see which piece is missing, and how far I was comfortable with threading it in..

So I've had to leave the P5 behind again.

Considering buying a used turbo from Callaway as it's only $200. Cheaper than new or bigger turbo so

Back