x DeadTaco x's P5 Build Thread

Just filled her up the other day.

20 mpg. About half highway, the rest city. Admittedly my car has idled a lot too since it has been hanging in the negatives to single digits quite a bit lately.

This lean condition is killing me.. Unfortunately, the seals I have already are at home 3.5 hours away. So I need to steal a weekend away and go back home so I can (hopefully) fix this.

So I am going to compile a list of all the turbo setup stuff that I: have, need, and would like to have. Hopefully I have everything covered!

I Have:
OEM MSP GT2554R Turbo
OEM MSP Manifold
OEM MSP S-Pipe
OEM J-Pipe
Hard lines connected to turbo (coolant is my guess?)
MSP ECU
FMIC
FMIC Piping
HKS SSQV BOV
Oil Filter Sandwich Plate
Various fittings

I Need:
Oil Feed line + fittings
Oil Return setup (weld-on bung, line, fittings, etc)
Coolant Feed (banjo bolt + tubing)
Coolant Return (I think I have an OEM MSP return elbow but im not sure)
Gaskets of all kinds for Turbo + Exhaust

Would Like to Have:
Wideband
Boost gauge
Gauge mounting solution
SSAFC w/datalogging

Anything I am missing? I feel like I have most of it, and the rest of it identified to be purchased. My goal is to have a turbo Protege5 by March 20, as my Spring Break starts the 10th and goes through the 19th. It also is my birthday on the 11th so birthday present to me (birthday)

Sounds like you have your list complete and correct, just have to get the plumbing worked out and the FMIC setup installed. May need some vac lines if you don't have them and a vacuum block is recommended. Can't really think of much else. There is a bracket that runs from the S pipe to the block, not certain if it's the same one from the P5, it may be. And the P5 J pipe is the same as the MSP.

Okay awesome! Was really worried that after months of continuous researching I would find that I didn't have something and would delay/stall plans and possibly not have my car haha.

Also, does a week (3/13 - 3/18 or 3/19) seem like a good amount of time for all of this to be put together? And are there any specific things I should look out for/do to prevent issues during this process?

And another question (jeez..), for the oil return bung I need to get welded, I know it is recommended to put it as high on the oil pan as possible, so would putting it on the MBSP like where the MSP's is ideal, or could just putting it on the upper portion of the lower pan work too?

Got 90% of the parts in today!

Just waiting on the T25 Turbo to Manifold gasket and then ill be able to start my turbo build!

Well that and then sending the pan to get the fitting welded haha.

Got 90% of the parts in today!

Just waiting on the T25 Turbo to Manifold gasket and then ill be able to start my turbo build!

Well that and then sending the pan to get the fitting welded haha.
Yeah man! Good luck! I didn't use any gaskets between the mani/turbo/downpipe. Just some copper rtv. So far so good.

Nice! Having the bung welded where the stock return is the ideal configuration. Having the bung on the oil pan as high as possible is okay but you can risk the chance of blocking the oil return flow and blowing the seals on the turbo

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nice! Having the bung welded where the stock return is the ideal configuration. Having the bung on the oil pan as high as possible is okay but you can risk the chance of blocking the oil return flow and blowing the seals on the turbo

Im very aware of this, which is why im making sure (like you noted) to be as high up as possible on the pan. I would take the MBSP off, but given my lack of comfort with trying to pry the tranny away from the engine to get those two specific bolts, ive just decided to take the risk.

I should be fine as far as i know, since this isn't a track car, but does the ocassional AutoX.

Oh, also, just to be sure. The oil return goes on the front of the block correct?

Im very aware of this, which is why im making sure (like you noted) to be as high up as possible on the pan. I would take the MBSP off, but given my lack of comfort with trying to pry the tranny away from the engine to get those two specific bolts, ive just decided to take the risk.

I should be fine as far as i know, since this isn't a track car, but does the ocassional AutoX.

Oh, also, just to be sure. The oil return goes on the front of the block correct?
Yes, front of the pan. I think you'll be fine. Are the stock turbo feed lines restricted at all? If not can it be to decrease the amount flowing through the drain.

Yes, front of the pan. I think you'll be fine. Are the stock turbo feed lines restricted at all? If not can it be to decrease the amount flowing through the drain.

I dont think the lines are restricted at all, but the oil inlet to the turbo might be restricted on stock. I just bought the fitting from ATP that the creator of the "Thinking of turbocharging your P5" thread recommended, so I do not know if its restricted or not.

I'm almost certain the stock line is restricted at the inlet. All DBB turbos need restrictors

I'm almost certain the stock line is restricted at the inlet. All DBB turbos need restrictors

Welp, I looked over the thread I had used to purchase parts, and I indeed purchase an unrestricted oil inlet and my Crossover Auto feed line does not have the in-line restrictor.

I did some googling and Garrett says journal-bearing do not need them, and DBB can benefit from using one, but does not seem to be a definitive NEED for one either. Also looked around in the M247 archives and those who did a turbo setup or changed turbos, no real answer was determined. Some experienced bearing failure on stock turbo with a restrictor, and others have gone unrestricted with no incident so..

I would go with a restrictor just in case. DBB turbos don't need as much oil as JB turbos do. I'm gonna be running a restrictor on my new turbo that's DBB

Welp, turbo has been delayed for an unknown amount of time.

Tracking on that important manifold to turbo gasket says its "Delayed" with no estimated arrival time or info on where it is..

On top of that, the person who was going to weld my pan originally said he would today, and he informed me this morning that he had another project that was taking longer than anticipated so he couldnt do it until after.

I have to be back at school on Sunday, so I guess this will wait until summer.

Welp, turbo has been delayed for an unknown amount of time.

Tracking on that important manifold to turbo gasket says its "Delayed" with no estimated arrival time or info on where it is..

On top of that, the person who was going to weld my pan originally said he would today, and he informed me this morning that he had another project that was taking longer than anticipated so he couldnt do it until after.

I have to be back at school on Sunday, so I guess this will wait until summer.
Sorry to hear that, bummer. Better safe than sorry though.

Almost two-month bump update!

Car rolled over 133,000 not too long ago, so that is neato.

No progress on parts for the build either, as school got in the way among other life priorities. School is done now though so summer employment should help finance the build, but first...

I went under the car and found this today after my 210 mile trek home..
34508830651_98753056a5_c.jpg

So given that the driver axle (pictured) boot exploded, and my other one has a small hole in it, im going to just replace both. Only $60 each so why not, they are old anywho.

Going to get a new oil pan also and have the oil return bung welded to it, to make installation of the turbo easier by not having to wait on a pan. The build is postponed however until after Fathers Day, as I am getting sent down to Maxwell AFB for training at the end of May so.

34508830651_98753056a5_c.jpg

So given that the driver axle (pictured) boot exploded, and my other one has a small hole in it, im going to just replace both.....

Holy Shyte Dude !;;!!?

You must have lost all your blinker fluid !!!
You need to top it up !...

Don't foget to get new gaskets...

Holy Shyte Dude !;;!!?

You must have lost all your blinker fluid !!!
You need to top it up !...

Don't foget to get new gaskets...

Hmm, that isn't the brand im looking for. I need the "Imported from Japan" JDM Hi-Discharge blinker fluid. Something about the viscosity of the fluids that the JDM market uses versus ours..

Back from training bump.

Plan on a July 1st install for turbo setup and other random parts I have laying around. Also this summer I am going to be saving up for coils and a RSB so that (hopefully) I can be a tish more competitive in AutoX later this year!

Also I am waiting on my new oil pan to come in so that I can get it tapped/welded, and a catless midpipe I just snagged this week.

Back