x DeadTaco x's P5 Build Thread

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So I figured I might as well start one of these, as I've had/been modding the car for about 3-ish years now, and I will soon be turbo (finally).

A brief introduction:

Hello, I'm Andrew and I own a 2003 Mazda Protege5 in the to-die-for Laser Blue ;)

Pic of how she was when I was given her
9555577721_a914b52372_z.jpg

9555579145_6939eb6cbe_z.jpg

Over this course of 3 years, I've done some stuff. Mainly cosmetic/personal stuff but stuff nonetheless.

Modification List: (Updated as of 7/22/17)

Engine/Power Things:
K&N Typhoon CAI
505 Intake Manifold V2
Spooled-Up Racing 4-1 Header
MAM Catless Midpipe
Magnaflow CBE
MP3 Flashed ECU (91 octane bro)
1.8L Coil Pack/Wire Conversion
DC Sports Oil Cap (+15 whp)
TWM Short Shifter
Coming Soon:
MSP Stock Turbo Kit (Turbo, lines, J/S-pipes)
Turbolife FMIC + HKS SSQV V3 Black Edition
Medieval Front/Side Mounts
Tranny/Rear Mount Inserts
Dual 12" Slim Fans

Handling Things:
Enkei RP03's on 205/40R17 Lexani N3000's (Summer set)
OEM NC MX5 Rim's on 185/50R16 Bridgestone Blizzaks WS60's (Winter set)
Slotted Brake Rotors (Unknown brand)
Circuit Sports Rear Strut Tower Bar
Coming Soon:
Full Coilover Setup
Progress Rear Sway Bar

Exterior Things:
DDM 6000K HID Low Beams
Nokya 3000K Hyper Yellow High Beams
Nokya 3000K Hyper Yellow Fog Lights
Full LED Turn-signal Conversion
DG Fiberglass Grille
Plastidipped Rear Valance/Trunk Valence/Fuel Door/Badges
Tinted JDM Tail Lights (Hate on me)
Tinted Side Markers
Hydra Motorsports SAP Kit
Hella Supertones

Interior Things:
GReddy Counterweight Shift Knob
Blue LED Cluster Lights
Blue LED Footwell Lights
Cool-White LED Interior Lights
MSP Door Sills
MSP Floor Mats
Sony Xplod Headunit
Dual JL Audio 10" Subs
Unknown Wattage Alpine Amp
Coming Soon:
Crown Royal Shift Boot (maybe)
CR3 Dead Pedal

Here are some more recent pics!
32088352856_f9a7d06186_c.jpg

32088351716_46a49a76e6_z.jpg

32008632761_641c16b189_z.jpg

32008632841_63ddbe828d_z.jpg

32127234515_e4f07eb87c_z.jpg

So this thread will mainly serve as a place to compile and archive (if you will) all the work I have and will be doing to my car. Also I will probably have questions (good or stupid) on here, so yeah!

Last edited:
Post edited due to not having the same FMIC setup being used anymore.

Enjoy this nice blank space :)

Last edited:
Hey man! Welcome! I started a forum for around the same reason. Love the turbo parts!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

nice are you going to be running a full aftermarket turbo set up? i.e stand alone ecu etc or going down the stock msp route?

nice are you going to be running a full aftermarket turbo set up? i.e stand alone ecu etc or going down the stock msp route?

Im doing a sort of hybrid setup.

I have the stock MSP GT2554RS, manifold, and downpipe. Ill be using stock MSP ECU also, but as you see, ill have a nice beefy FMIC setup haha.

I plan on down the road getting an SSAFC and some 440's so I can fully get the potential out of my setup, but for now, reliability is key aha.

Sorry, about my previous post. Tapatalk update made it look like that question was posted in my thread. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

So a question or two popped into my head today. Figured id share here and see if I can get any insight.

First one being: I live in the freezing icebox known as North Dakota. It routinely gets well below 0 here in the winter. With that being said, for a turbo build, any advice/tips on helping keep the car strong in the winter with that? Like temp gauges, turbo timer, etc

And second one: So ive read the EGR delete thread, and the consensus is that you will always have the EGR Insufficient Code. I deleted my EGR since my 505 mani doesnt have a port for one, so I have the code, but would thay significantly affect gas mileage??

EGR does not affect gas mileage, only help with emissions. The turbo setup will be fine in low temps, it's fuel cut you will have a problem with. I get fuel cut above 10psi and I live in Texas. It was 81 degrees two days ago. I'm not kidding.

If you park outside, and live in a safe area, a remote start setup might be nice. You can warm the car up for longer with less of your time taken. They've gotten pretty safe nowadays.

EGR does not affect gas mileage, only help with emissions. The turbo setup will be fine in low temps, it's fuel cut you will have a problem with. I get fuel cut above 10psi and I live in Texas. It was 81 degrees two days ago. I'm not kidding.

I plan on running stock boost levels (6-7 psi) so should I still have fuel cut issues? And is that brought on by temperature specifically?

If you park outside, and live in a safe area, a remote start setup might be nice. You can warm the car up for longer with less of your time taken. They've gotten pretty safe nowadays.

I thankfully have an autostart and park in a university-owned parking lot, so its safer than the street haha.

Going off that though, would using the stock temp gauge or an aftermarket oil temp gauge, be best for gauging temp for the car since it will be turbo'ed?

Oil temp, pressure, and coolant temp gauges would all be nice to have. There is a company called zadatech based out of the uk. I have their oil temp gauge. They offer alot of cool solutions if you don't want to run full size round gauges. Even have multiple gauge readouts on single lcd screens. Awesome stuff.

i believe stock injectors and fuel pump are rated to 250 bhp. So anything less than that you should be good with.

...would using the stock temp gauge or an aftermarket oil temp gauge, be best for gauging temp for the car since it will be turbo'ed?

Our stock temp gauge is a dummy gauge controlled by the ECU.
The needle rises to the middle mark and stays there.

It doesn't move any higher until its WAY too hot.

It's essentially a warped head indicator.

Our stock temp gauge is a dummy gauge controlled by the ECU.
The needle rises to the middle mark and stays there.

It doesn't move any higher until its WAY too hot.

It's essentially a warped head indicator.

So an aftermarket water temp gauge would be better?

Im mainly curious, for my sake since it gets ungodly cold here, what gauge would be best to ensure that the car is warm enough to safely go into boost

I would assume that when the stock gauge reaches the middle mark, everything is warm enough.

But you probably want to keep a much closer eye on your temperatures.

You can get an Elm327 reader (around $10) that plugs into your obd2 port and broadcasts to your smartphone.
Using the torque app it shows you Everything.
But you probably don't want a phone mounted to your dash.

The gauges mentioned by Jackie chan sound really nice...

Back