CX-5 Frozen Windows

CX5crossover

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Tour AWD
I bought this CPO 2014 CX-5 2 weeks ago and thus far it's been mostly great, but so far 3 different times the front windows have become frozen shut when the temperatures have been below 30F. This is while keeping the vehicle garaged while at home. To me it seems like either the power window motors are wimpy or the window molding is too thick (too much surface area touching the glass - good for noise and vibration - bad for freezing water?). Maybe the molding holds more water than what would be considered ideal. I traded-in my Honda Civic for this much newer Mazda, and the Civic would literally "rip" the windows down in just about any icy winter conditions, and it's just sad to see that my vehicle upgrade won't. Anyhow, any thoughts on this or any DIY fixes out there, or is this just something everyone is just learning to live with? It's becoming very annoying at the drive-thru windows, as I mentioned, after only a few weeks!

Last edited:
Try wiping on some door seal lubricant/conditioner on and in the track that the glass slides in. I use silicone gel on the seals of my other cars with good success.

I bought this CPO 2014 CX-5 2 weeks ago and thus far it's been mostly great, but so far 3 different times the front windows have become frozen shut when the temperatures have been below 30F. This is while keeping the vehicle garaged while at home. To me it seems like either the power window motors are wimpy or the window molding is too thick (too much surface area touching the glass - good for noise and vibration - bad for freezing water?). Maybe the molding holds more water than what would be considered ideal. I traded-in my Honda Civic for this much newer Mazda, and the Civic would literally "rip" the windows down in just about any icy winter conditions, and it's just sad to see that my vehicle upgrade won't. Anyhow, any thoughts on this or any DIY fixes out there, or is this just something everyone is just learning to live with? It's becoming very annoying at the drive-thru windows, as I mentioned, after only a few weeks!

you're not alone, my CX-5 windows got stuck also, I think you're right, the rubber Mazda selected must get hard as rock at low temp so even if it's garaged with no sleet or ice, if the garage is not heated, the rubber compound will still get hard due to low temperature.

I was really surprised too, first vehicle that did this. I was at the drive thru ready to speak into the mic and the darn thing wouldn't come down, luckily it was early in the morning and no one was behind me so I backed out and drove to work and cranked the heat up by the time I got to work 1/2 hour later I was able to get the stupid window down.

I applied Rain-X (hydrophobic silicone polymer that forces water to bead and roll off easily, make sure not to get on paint and apply sparingly only on the outside glass surface, one application should last 3 months) on the driver side and paid special attention to the edges that's in contact with the outside seal, (I rolled down the window and made sure I applied Rain-X to the leading edge, haven't had a problem since with frozen windows. Not sure if it's the end all fix all but it's worth a try.........

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to have to leave the windows down an inch or so to keep the windows off the seals, but it would be luck they'd get stuck there. Update; all 4 windows were frozen up this morning. Now, yesterday I came home from work in a light snow storm, pulled directly into the garage (yes, you're right, non-heated), so there wasn't much accumulation on the vehicle. As I said, this morning all of them were frozen; it was 13F for the overnight average. Sounds like this is a common issue throughout the CX5 community. It just seems odd, because like you, this is the first that I've had where freezing has become a routine issue.

Normal. Annoying, and again, a unique foible of this vehicle, but whatever, it could have worse issues. I second the dielectric silicon grease.

Dude everyone knows Mazdas are all about the feel of driving......use KY!!

Brilliant!

KY_Liquid_1oz_0100crop__59327.1330037328.500.750.jpg

LOL, you guys can't be serious, wait till your wives find that stuff smeared all over the window and start thinking what the hell you've guys been doing in the car, LOL just kidding...

Yeah that's mine..I mean no its not mine....its for the car. Really. Jokes aside how about silicone grease?

Yeah that's mine..I mean no its not mine....its for the car. Really. Jokes aside how about silicone grease?

That stuff looks like it might do the trick for windows. I'm not seeing how it helps with frozen doors as stated though...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Window tint is on the inside. The frozen issue happens on the outside, between the outer layer of rubber, plastic, and glass.

yes, but the added thickness of the glass will cause the window to drag against the glass run more easily

Looks like a Russian product. http://vmpauto.com/production/silikonovye-smazki/rezin

Its not so much the product itself but the ingredient...silicone grease. Pretty sure you can buy it but this bottle looks cool and makes application easy. Perhaps put some in a roll-bottle like deodorant?

just get the shin-etsu grease from honda... it's pricey but it's the last tube of grease you'll ever buy for rubber door and window seals... that stuff works great and specifically designed for them

Back