16.5 CX5 GT- front defrost doesn't work well

Your washers are getting frozen because the People's Republic of California said you can't have too much alcohol content in washer fluid because of VOC emissions.. most parts of the state, you can't buy any washer fluid that works below freezing temperatures except in areas that do stay cold for extended periods of time

if you want to fix this, buy a bottle of concentrated washer fluid and "spike" what's in your washer tank and you'll never have that problem again

Your washers are getting frozen because the People's Republic of California said you can't have too much alcohol content in washer fluid because of VOC emissions.. most parts of the state, you can't buy any washer fluid that works below freezing temperatures except in areas that do stay cold for extended periods of time

if you want to fix this, buy a bottle of concentrated washer fluid and "spike" what's in your washer tank and you'll never have that problem again

I mixed my own. I poured a lot of alcohol in. However, it is just unused for most of the year, so perhaps it evaporated? Not sure.
We don't get many chances to test if it works!

Just a thought, I know your 2016.5 is just 5 months old, but have you checked the radiator fluid, when it's low, and cold out side you might not notice it, but you said it was not blowing hot air, and that could be a sign of low radiator fluid not getting pumped throughout the heater core....

No, it was blowing very hot air, I think I said that, (if not, my typo). But, the heater and defrost always blown very hot air when I turn up the temp. I haven't checked the coolant though, that's a good idea, thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you're talking about, and it can make one quite nervous when driving around in seriously bad weather. I suppose you could get real winter blades that basically have a rubber/plastic coating over the external metal frames that prevent some of the icing you've experienced. I haven't gone that route yet, because I don't experience it all that often.

I have been noticing this on a lot of the newer vehicles it seems as of late. One design change I've noticed over the years is that in todays world, the front defroster is a single vent/duct running along the center of the windshield. In the older days you had a front and passenger vent, which I think really helped to reach the further edges of a windshield.

The only other advice I can offer is just to make sure the car is nice and warmed up, and that as much ice/snow has been cleared off as is possible to prevent icing and buildup.

Lastly, I wish Mazda would offer that front windshield wiper de-icer that Subaru has, where it is similar to a rear defroster and has the elements placed directly underneath the wiper blades in their seated position to help keep them from icing up.

I can't agree more! Defrost elements where the wipers sit is brilliant!
When this was happening I had been driving for almost 45 minutes, and I cleared the windshield completely, the ice was just accumulating below the wipers, and in several other places on the windshield. So, everything was plenty warm.
I'm going to look into winter/ice blades specifically.

Minnesota here. I've driven in way colder temps than 8 and not had that problem. That said, 2 things come to mind. (1) I have a 2014 which has a thinner windshield than the the 2016's. (2) I use Rain-X on my windshield when it's warm enough to wash my CX-5 and I also add it to my washer fluid year-round. So perhaps that is why my mine haven't frozen?

On a separate side note, I still have the original wiper blades on my CX-5. I took delivery in August 2013! The rubber is still pliable and they DO NOT streak! I am sort of a "wiper nazi" (if there can be such a term) and am always on the lookout for the slightest issue with the wiper blades so I can replace them (just ask my Significant Other!). I bought a set of replacement rubbers 2 years ago in anticipation of replacing them - they are still in my garage cupboard, unneeded! Totally crazy!

It's interesting about the thickness of the glass, but it totally makes sense. I'm going to try the RainX on the windshield and in the fluid (about how much?) and see how that works.
I can't believe your original OEM blades are still good, that's crazy! You must live somewhere that's humid. Out here in the SW wiper blades last me like one year tops. They dry out and get baked in the hot dry sun in the summer.

For me, the heater picks up energy if the engine is doing a bit more than cruising in constant speed.
It does keep the window clear.
The wipers do catch ice and slowly become more and more ineffective. Also, the snow/ice collected at the bottom requires eventual manual cleaning.
The spray nozzles get frozen shut very quickly.

Overall, the spray nozzles and wiper situation is not very good for snow. I still have the original wipers, they do work fine in the rain. However, I will replace them before next winter to these all-rubber type wipers that can't get ice accumulation.

You're probably right about different speeds vs. constant speed, but the temp was plenty hot whilst I was driving.
I didn't use the washer fluid at all, I know better than that! I've made that mistake before and it was a mess! :)
I am definitely going to look into winter/ice specific blades soon.

Thanks but I'm in Colorado. :)
Also, I didn't use the washer fluid at all during this, I've done that before and it's a MESS!
Interesting though about CA not allowing above a certain amount of alcohol in the fluid ... I'd say something about CA, but not on a family-friendly forum ;)
Thanks! :D

I'm going to try the RainX on the windshield and in the fluid (about how much?) and see how that works.

It comes in a squirt bottle. I just squirt it in for about 5 seconds.

You must live somewhere that's humid. Out here in the SW wiper blades last me like one year tops. They dry out and get baked in the hot dry sun in the summer.

Minnesota. Can be humid in summer, but dry as a bone in winter.

Hey CX5ers, driving home from work tonight here in Denver, it's about 8 and blowing snow. I had my front defrost on full power the entire 45 minute drive and it wasn't keeping ice from bottom of windshield at all or really even the rest of the window and the wipers kept getting frozen in the stop position. Has anyone else experienced this? So far this is the only thing about my CX5 that hasn't been awesome, I LOVE it! Thanks!

None of the CX-5's work for crap at de-frosting. The rear doesn't work, either, FYI. Ultimately, the rear window WILL just ice over. Nothing you can do about it really. The only way to make the FRONT "work" is to KEEP THE WIPERS MOVING. If any snow melts while you are stopped at a light, and wind hits it once you are moving, at 0-15*F, you're going to glaze your windshield like a mofo. The CX-5 is unique in sucking so bad about this, in my limited experience driving in 0-20*F weather.

FYI, just got home from a 10 hour trip, the last 200 miles of it were 13-18*F and snowing. I know good and well how bad the CX-5's "ability" to maintain clear glass is. Rear glass is non-existant, front requires you KEEP IT CLEAN or it will ice over, and you're just F'ed. parking for 5 minutes to get gas is enough to screw you hard, as the snow that hits the glass while sitting still melts, then you drive off and it freezes solid and if you try to wiper it off once moving, the cold glass and puppypiss weak heater aren't enough to defrost it for about 15-20 minutes, and you get an opaque shower-door of a windscreen.

This is probably my biggest "functional" complaint. Not the 22-25mpg highway I get in this thing when it's rated at 30, and every OTHER vehicle I've owned hitting highway EPA (another story...), but the absolute ineffectiveness of its ability to keep the glass clean of ice.

To offset it, it has great traction control systems and the AWD did me a solid.

Last edited:
The stock wiper blades are designed to last 3 years because of the wide rubber design and that they're also graphite embedded... the graphite does cause some smearing though that lasts for less than a second for some people, but it's noticeable compared to normal wiper blades

Well they last maybe 1/6th of that...

I mixed my own. I poured a lot of alcohol in. However, it is just unused for most of the year, so perhaps it evaporated? Not sure.
We don't get many chances to test if it works!

Common rubbing alcohol and denatured destroys certain polymers. I'd be very careful. Not all alcohol is chemically the same.

Common rubbing alcohol and denatured destroys certain polymers. I'd be very careful. Not all alcohol is chemically the same.

I agree, be careful with putting that stuff into the windshield washing fluid reservoir, it might start deteriorating some rubber seals or start making the black plastic cowling at windshield base plastic look dull and grey.

I agree, be careful with putting that stuff into the windshield washing fluid reservoir, it might start deteriorating some rubber seals or start making the black plastic cowling at windshield base plastic look dull and grey.

GM stopped replacing hazed/crazed headlights on C6 corvettes that were "wrapped" citing the clear film as "trapping heat" leading to it. The real cause was lazy "wrappers" who used alcohol solution when cleaning the lens prior to wrapping so they wouldn't have to dry it/wait as long, and the polymer cracking at the slightest of impacts because of the the stress fractures alcohol caused. I actually tested this on a flashlight lens I had sitting around, and it was AMAZING how violent it was. Here is a YouTube of someone doing something similar...

You still want that in your spraying machine blasted all over the front of the vehicle? I don't.

GM stopped replacing hazed/crazed headlights on C6 corvettes that were "wrapped" citing the clear film as "trapping heat" leading to it. The real cause was lazy "wrappers" who used alcohol solution when cleaning the lens prior to wrapping so they wouldn't have to dry it/wait as long, and the polymer cracking at the slightest of impacts because of the the stress fractures alcohol caused. I actually tested this on a flashlight lens I had sitting around, and it was AMAZING how violent it was. Here is a YouTube of someone doing something similar...

Good to know. When installing paint protection film on my headlights I did use alcohol initially for prep. But then a large amount of (mixture of distilled water/few drops baby shampoo) sprayed on the headlights removed/diluted much of the alcohol. Btw the nearly 5-year old CX-5 still has some shiny headlights lenses :)

None of the CX-5's work for crap at de-frosting. The rear doesn't work, either, FYI. Ultimately, the rear window WILL just ice over. Nothing you can do about it really. The only way to make the FRONT "work" is to KEEP THE WIPERS MOVING. If any snow melts while you are stopped at a light, and wind hits it once you are moving, at 0-15*F, you're going to glaze your windshield like a mofo. The CX-5 is unique in sucking so bad about this, in my limited experience driving in 0-20*F weather.

FYI, just got home from a 10 hour trip, the last 200 miles of it were 13-18*F and snowing. I know good and well how bad the CX-5's "ability" to maintain clear glass is. Rear glass is non-existant, front requires you KEEP IT CLEAN or it will ice over, and you're just F'ed. parking for 5 minutes to get gas is enough to screw you hard, as the snow that hits the glass while sitting still melts, then you drive off and it freezes solid and if you try to wiper it off once moving, the cold glass and puppypiss weak heater aren't enough to defrost it for about 15-20 minutes, and you get an opaque shower-door of a windscreen.

This is probably my biggest "functional" complaint. Not the 22-25mpg highway I get in this thing when it's rated at 30, and every OTHER vehicle I've owned hitting highway EPA (another story...), but the absolute ineffectiveness of its ability to keep the glass clean of ice.

To offset it, it has great traction control systems and the AWD did me a solid.

To be honest, the rear defrost in mine works brilliantly. The front though, yeah... oh well. The TCS and AWD are outstanding, so I'm still in in love.

Surprised nobody mentioned vinegar. Not only does it clean glass it keeps it from frosting up I heard? Can't test as its 65 degrees outside here in Arizona. Low 70's this weekend :)

To be honest, the rear defrost in mine works brilliantly. The front though, yeah... oh well. The TCS and AWD are outstanding, so I'm still in in love.

My rear defrost worked, but the Aero of the car kills it. It's been hours since I got home, and there is STILL snow obscuring 100% of the rear vision on it. The defroster simply cannot out-do the snow when you're in motion. It sworls, sticks, and obscures. No dice. So use the side mirrors, because your RVM and rear window are DONE.
15774913_865889599741_4910212013708744873_o.jpg

This is how it looked when I pulled over. As you can see, the aero sucks the snow against the glass, and the defroster (I doubt any defroster on the planet, to be fair...) cannot deal.

It handled those roads at 55-60mph like a boss. Very good traction logic in this car. I could idiot-slam the brakes and it would allow me to safely steer wherever I wanted without the back end getting wiggly, to boot! The only thing was sharp corners and hard stops (stop signs). It would still slide, as you can't cheat physics at the limit of actual traction, but it managed what it HAD beautifully.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody mentioned vinegar. Not only does it clean glass it keeps it from frosting up I heard? Can't test as its 65 degrees outside here in Arizona. Low 70's this weekend :)

It also has a pH of 2.2-2.4

I'm no paint Nazi, over a CX-5, but I'd really like to see some of the cars on this forum! ROFL!

Back