Is change oil necessary/recommended after break-in period?

Do you have a "Reset" option in Oil Change catagory under Maintenance Monitor from infotainment screen? Have you tried pressing the dash light adjustment stick method mentioned in post #14 by ManUtd?

The Oil Change part of Maintenance Monitor App on new CX-9 is a little different from CX-5. I got feeling that Mazda rushed this change from CX-5's which is based on, and it seems like an incomplete job and it's even showed in the owner's manual.
I already used the reset option in the oil change category in the infot screen. Not solved.

But I see post 14 above and will follow instructions to see if the described procedure works.

I will post results today.

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

So how does the oil change work? Is it by mileage or by months? When I bought my car the appointment was set for 6 months and/or 6000. My car now has 6 months 3 weeks and 5000 - I had my oil changed today because the maintenance monitor says 5,000 service. However, the sticker they gave me at the dealer is for 6 months after (July) or 12500 (7,500).

So:
Car Schedule: 5,000
Dealer at Purchase: 6,000
Dealer after 1st change: 7,500 (vehicle still says 5,000)

They all say 6 months.

Is it whichever comes first?

Maintenance Monitor

So how does the oil change work? Is it by mileage or by months? When I bought my car the appointment was set for 6 months and/or 6000. My car now has 6 months 3 weeks and 5000 - I had my oil changed today because the maintenance monitor says 5,000 service. However, the sticker they gave me at the dealer is for 6 months after (July) or 12500 (7,500).

So:
Car Schedule: 5,000
Dealer at Purchase: 6,000
Dealer after 1st change: 7,500 (vehicle still says 5,000)

They all say 6 months.

Is it whichever comes first?
For new CX-9 with SA-G 2.5L turbo in the US, Mazda recommends using Schedule 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval. It can be "up to" 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. This means the "Oil change due" message could be on at any earlier mileage or time depending on your driving conditions. You can use traditional Scheduhle 2 "fixed" OCI which is 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. You have to go to Maintenance Monitor App in infotainment system to set Oil Change to "Flexible", or a fixed mileage and time by yourself as most Mazda dealers don't have a clue on this and won't reset them properly for you during new vehicle inspection and routine oil change.

Obviously using flexible OCI has advantage of utilizing full oil life cycle to protect engine properly and reducing the oil waste. Unfortunately most vehicle owners in the US haven't got used to this idea of flexible OCI although it has been implemented all over the world for many years.

I strongly suggest to use good quality full synthetic oil such as Castrol Edge 5W-30 for new CX-9 SA-G 2.5L turbo engine if you use engine oil flexible maintenance interval as the calculation is based on Mazda moly full synthetic oil. OEM 0000-CG-5W30 is a Castrol GTX 5W-30 conventional oil and I really don't think it's a right oil for 2.5T. Bring your own reputable full synthetic oil for oil change if your dealer doesn't carry full synthetic oil!

For new CX-9 with SA-G 2.5L turbo in the US, Mazda recommends using Schedule 1 Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Interval. It can be "up to" 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. This means the "Oil change due" message could be on at any earlier mileage or time depending on your driving conditions. You can use traditional Scheduhle 2 "fixed" OCI which is 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. You have to go to Maintenance Monitor App in infotainment system to set Oil Change to "Flexible", or a fixed mileage and time by yourself as most Mazda dealers don't have a clue on this and won't reset them properly for you during new vehicle inspection and routine oil change.

Obviously using flexible OCI has advantage of utilizing full oil life cycle to protect engine properly and reducing the oil waste. Unfortunately most vehicle owners in the US haven't got used to this idea of flexible OCI although it has been implemented all over the world for many years.

I strongly suggest to use good quality full synthetic oil such as Castrol Edge 5W-30 for new CX-9 SA-G 2.5L turbo engine if you use engine oil flexible maintenance interval as the calculation is based on Mazda moly full synthetic oil. OEM 0000-CG-5W30 is a Castrol GTX 5W-30 conventional oil and I really don't think it's a right oil for 2.5T. Bring your own reputable full synthetic oil for oil change if your dealer doesn't carry full synthetic oil!

Thank you. I've also read somewhere there's a difference in mileages depending how you drive. Any truth to this? "Hard miles vs reg miles"? For example, here in SoCal with all the hills, the miles would be "hard" vs in Florida where everything is flat.

Maintenance Monitor

Thank you. I've also read somewhere there's a difference in mileages depending how you drive. Any truth to this? "Hard miles vs reg miles"? For example, here in SoCal with all the hills, the miles would be "hard" vs in Florida where everything is flat.
I wouldn't consider those hills in SoCal as "hard miles". In Colorado may be. But those hard miles are from "severe conditions" defined in the owner's manual such as many short trips and stop-and-go traffic. With flexible oil change setting the car computer will calculate all of those conditions and display the "Oil change due" message accordingly since the reset. If you drive under lots of severe conditions, the oil change message will be displayed earlier such as at 4,000 miles and the 5th month. If you drive less, the oil change message will be displayed at 5,500 miles and the 12th month. The key is you make sure to use full synthetic oil. The system's calculation is based on Mazda moly full synthetic oil, and it can't distinguish what type of oil you use. Mazda's OEM 0000-CG-5W30 Castrol GTX 5W-30 conventional oil simply won't cut it for a turbo engine. Of course you can change oil earlier than the system tells you, i.e. before the oil change message displayed if that makes you feel more comfortable. Just make sure do the rest to the system so that the computer can restart the calculation for fresh oil.

I wouldn't consider those hills in SoCal as "hard miles". In Colorado may be. But those hard miles are from "severe conditions" defined in the owner's manual such as many short trips and stop-and-go traffic. With flexible oil change setting the car computer will calculate all of those conditions and display the "Oil change due" message accordingly since the reset. If you drive under lots of severe conditions, the oil change message will be displayed earlier such as at 4,000 miles and the 5th month. If you drive less, the oil change message will be displayed at 5,500 miles and the 12th month. The key is you make sure to use full synthetic oil. The system's calculation is based on Mazda moly full synthetic oil, and it can't distinguish what type of oil you use. Mazda's OEM 0000-CG-5W30 Castrol GTX 5W-30 conventional oil simply won't cut it for a turbo engine. Of course you can change oil earlier than the system tells you, i.e. before the oil change message displayed if that makes you feel more comfortable. Just make sure do the rest to the system so that the computer can restart the calculation for fresh oil.

Thanks for the detailed response! So you're saying the oil they put at the dealer isn't good? Are we allowed to bring our own oil?

Thanks for the detailed response! So you're saying the oil they put at the dealer isn't good? Are we allowed to bring our own oil?
I don't think they allow us to use an oil we bring in. This will void the warranty.

Mazda dealers use their preferred oil for standard oil change but normally the cheapest bulk oil they can get. Many Mazda dealers offer full-synthetic 5W-30 oil such as Castrol Edge. You've to ask your dealer to find out. All Mazda dealers carry OEM 0000-CG-5W30 Castrol GTX 5W-30 conventional oil and they'll conveniently use it since it's cheaper than full synthetic oil and meets viscosity requirement.

I know my dealer does accept customer supplied oil as long as it meets Mazda's recommendation. You pay only the labor. And I DIY to prevent occasional dealer screw-ups.

Mazda dealers use their preferred oil for standard oil change but normally the cheapest bulk oil they can get. Many Mazda dealers offer full-synthetic 5W-30 oil such as Castrol Edge. You've to ask your dealer to find out. All Mazda dealers carry OEM 0000-CG-5W30 Castrol GTX 5W-30 conventional oil and they'll conveniently use it since it's cheaper than full synthetic oil and meets viscosity requirement.

I know my dealer does accept customer supplied oil as long as it meets Mazda's recommendation. You pay only the labor. And I DIY to prevent occasional dealer screw-ups.
I'll check the work order when I get home to see what did they use. Thanks!

It says it was replaced with "SOIL SYNTHETIC QUART OIL" - There is no part number or anything, other than the description, FULL SYN OIL 5W30.

It says it was replaced with "SOIL SYNTHETIC QUART OIL" - There is no part number or anything, other than the description, FULL SYN OIL 5W30.
This means your dealer should be using a full synthetic 5W-30 oil with their choice of brand. I'd at least try to find out the brand and type of the oil. It could be a generic brand like this one to the right which my Mazda dealer uses for standard oil change on CX-5 and I certainly don't like to see a generic oil in a SA-G 2.5L turbo engine:

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-01_20151215.jpg

I just read in the manual that "flexible setting" is only for the US and Puerto Rico. Seeing that you're in Mexico your only options are "fixed setting" or "off setting below". Have you tried this reset method?

32122733951_82748b2dc3_c.jpg
This don't work! I still have the message!

Back