2012 CX9 things to look out for? Warranty Issues?

guslackerdas

:
CX9
Howdy!
I have had a CX9 since 2012 and it has been a breeze to own. However, now at about 65k miles, a few things are starting to fall apart. Does anyone have a list of sorts of common issues or things to look out for? Id like to get a head start on anything, especially anything that may still be covered under the power train warranty. Like I said...normal maintenance has been good for this car, my wife drives it to work about 4 miles round trip, so it doesn't have a ton of miles on it.
Basic model, no GPS, FWD, etc.

This is our 3rd Mazda and while it has been a good car thus far, I am sad things are seeming to fall apart now, where our previous cars were absolute worry free (P5 and Mazda 6).

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for...so apologies if I missed it.

Thanks Much!

If you bought the car brand new I believe that the powertrain is 5 yrs and 60k miles. Unless this is a pre-owned certified with a 100k warranty you just might be out of the warranty due to mileage.

Howdy!
I have had a CX9 since 2012 and it has been a breeze to own. However, now at about 65k miles, a few things are starting to fall apart. Does anyone have a list of sorts of common issues or things to look out for? Id like to get a head start on anything, especially anything that may still be covered under the power train warranty. Like I said...normal maintenance has been good for this car, my wife drives it to work about 4 miles round trip, so it doesn't have a ton of miles on it.
Basic model, no GPS, FWD, etc.

This is our 3rd Mazda and while it has been a good car thus far, I am sad things are seeming to fall apart now, where our previous cars were absolute worry free (P5 and Mazda 6).

I searched but didn't find what I was looking for...so apologies if I missed it.

Thanks Much!

common issues to look for:

control arm recall
wheel bearings
brake booster failure
clogged A/C drain
water pump seal failure (coolant leak into engine), not very common but check for signs by checking oil routinely to make sure there's no coolant

since you have FWD you don't have to worry about transfer case but that also fails around 65K, oil must be changed.

Last edited:
That's a good list. My car just made its 5 year birthday too. The good news - it's PAID FOR! (and has only 15k miles).

The better news - I picked up the 8yr / 100k mile service contract.

She just had the ball joints changed. (free) but I'll keep an eye on the brakes.

Back